Rated YA-MA discussion

Reading Challenges > Challenge 3 2018 - Summer is Fun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Jun 27, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Summer is finally here!
This third quarter challenge -Summer is Fun- runs from July 1st through September 30th.

Because I’m just filling in for Dianne, I decided to embrace the “seasonal” part fully. The categories are all summer related. I tried to make them as open-ended as possible, so that; everyone can complete the challenge with ease.

There are six categories. You can read multiple books from each category to complete this challenge. But .... you can reward yourself a bonus win if you manage to read one book from each category.

Categories:
1. Summer Cover: read a book with a mostly yellow cover, “summer” or “vacation” in the title, or that shows a family all together
Potential ideas list from GR: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

2. Summer Release: read a book that is released between June 2018 - August 2018
Potential ideas list from GR: https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

3. Summer Setting: read a book where part of the story is set at a classic summer vacation spot (the beach, a barbeque, an amusement park, etc.) or the book mostly takes place in the summer
Potential ideas lists:
https://www.bustle.com/p/20-celebrity...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

4. Summer Clothes: read a book where a character on the cover is depicted in a summer ensemble (barefoot, sandals, shorts, sundress, sleeveless T, bathing suit, etc.)

5. Summer Essentials: read a book with a cover that depicts an iconic summer item (ice cream, suitcase, sunglasses, seashells, kids outside toys, etc.)
Potential Ideas lists:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

6. Back to School: read a book with a story that takes place as the character is starting a new school year

Standard Rules:
♦ Audio books are allowed.

♦ All of the books MUST be at least 150 (paper) pages in order to qualify for this challenge. If the kindle or eBook pages are different than the paper count, please provide the correct number, so no books are left out unjustly. If you are reading an ebook only book, the word count MUST be a minimum of 45,000.

♦ 5 out of 6 of your books for this challenge must be YA.

Tracking Progress:
I'll be keeping track of participant’s progress (as much as possible) in post #2. Participants will be listed alphabetically by their name and the number of their original post in the challenge.

Posting Suggestions
1. When posting your progress, please remember to use the number attached to your original post as well. (This will be especially useful to save me from mixing up folks with similar names).

2. When posting the Title of your book let us know what category it falls in.

3. It is also nice, but not necessary, to tell us what you thought of the book just in case it grabs the interest of another member also.

4. Lastly, in your signup post, if you can, recommend books you’ve already read to help others compile a list of awesome books for this challenge.

message 2: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Sep 30, 2018 05:20PM) (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Updates
Amy (post #6) 3 / 6 (summer setting, summer cover, back to school)
♦Barb (post #9)
Jennifer (post #10)- 6 / 6 (summer setting, summer clothes, back-to-school, summer release, summer cover, summer essentials)
Kdbrand (post #4)- 6 / 6 (summer setting, summer title, summer clothes, summer essentials, summer release, back-to-school)
laurel (post #5)- 6 / 6 (back-to-school, summer release, summer essentials, summer release, summer setting)
Melanie (post #3)- 6 / 6 (summer setting, summer clothes, back-to-school)
♦Sara (post #11)
♦Casey (post #18)
Mich (post #19) 1 / 6 (summer release)

Completed!
laurel
Jennifer
Kdbrand
Melanie

Bonus Challenge Completed!
Jennifer
Kdbrand

message 3: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Sep 30, 2018 05:23PM) (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Melanie's Challenge ideas/ updates
Finished
1. 4 stars Watership Down
2. 4 stars Bad News
3. 3.5 stars Discount Armageddon MA
4. 4 stars The Battle of the Labyrinth
5. 3 stars Monday's Not Coming
6. 3 stars When Dimple Met Rishi

Ideas
♦ Summer Cover: mostly yellow cover, “summer” or “vacation” in the title, or shows a family all together/
MA-
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31) by Terry Pratchett
YA-
On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta Bad News (Bad, #3) by Pseudonymous Bosch
Recommendation:
The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan

♦ Summer Release: the book is released between June 2018 - August 2018
MA-
Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers
YA-
On the Come Up by Angie Thomas Veins of Gold by Charlie N. Holmberg The Wild Robot Escapes (The Wild Robot, #2) by Peter Brown

♦ Summer Setting: part of the story is set at a classic summer vacation spot (the beach, a barbeque, an amusement park, etc.) or the book mostly takes place in the summer
YA-
Panic (Panic, #1) by Lauren Oliver Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) by Suzanne Collins Rogue (Talon, #2) by Julie Kagawa Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams Bad News (Bad, #3) by Pseudonymous Bosch
Recommendations:
Talon (Talon, #1) by Julie Kagawa We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

♦ Summer Clothes: a character on the cover is depicted in a summer ensemble (barefoot, sandals, shorts, sundress, sleeveless T, bathing suit, etc.)
MA-
Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire

♦ Summer Essentials: the cover depicts an iconic summer item (ice cream, suitcase, sunglasses, seashells, kids outside toys, etc.)
Recommendation:
The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) by Terry Pratchett

♦ Back to School: the story takes place as the character is starting a new school year
YA-
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Recommendations:
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Carry On (Simon Snow, #1) by Rainbow Rowell Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (all of them) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 4: by Kdbrand (last edited Sep 30, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Count me in! I love the summer theme!!

Completed 6/6
When We Collided by Emery Lord Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson Sixteenth Summer (Sixteenth Summer #1) by Michelle Dalton Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2) by Ally Carter Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson When We Collided by Emery Lord The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett Lily and Dunkin by Donna Gephart I Am Still Alive by Kate Alice Marshall Wild Blue Wonder by Carlie Sorosiak

message 5: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Sep 07, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) OMG yes! I can count all my new releases!

The possibility pool:
Final Draft by Riley Redgate Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad, #2) by Scott Reintgen Girls Can't Hit by T.S. Easton Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1) by Mary E. Pearson Garrison Girl by Rachel Aaron Mirage (Mirage, #1) by Somaiya Daud Kill The Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell #1) by Delilah S. Dawson Never Out of Season How Having the Food We Want When We Want It Threatens Our Food Supply and Our Future by Rob Dunn 500 Words or Less by Juleah del Rosario The Academy by Katie Sise Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1) by Sara Raasch Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes Other Minds The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend (Broken Hearts & Revenge, #1) by Katie Finn

Read 6/6
Drama by Raina Telgemeier (back to school)(MG)
The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas (back to school/summer release)
Girls Can't Hit by T.S. Easton (summer release)
Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch (summer essentials)
Mirage (Mirage, #1) by Somaiya Daud (summer release)
Pride by Ibi Zoboi (summer setting)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments I haven't done a challenge for a while so I might give this one a go. count me in.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Thanks Melanie! I have been very busy and you are on top of things! Have fun everyone :)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Diane wrote: "Thanks Melanie! I have been very busy and you are on top of things! Have fun everyone :)"

Good luck with the move, Diane!

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb I’m in!

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 19, 2018 03:29PM) (new)

Jennifer | 395 comments I'm in as well.

List of Potentials:
1. Summer Cover: The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1) by Jenny Han Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #1) by Alice Hoffman
2. Summer Release: My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2) by Cynthia Hand Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renee Ahdieh
3. Summer Setting: A Summer Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #1) by Kathleen Fuller Undertow (Undertow #1) by Michael Buckley
4. Summer Clothes: Wake (Watersong #1) by Amanda Hocking
5. Summer Essentials: Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
6. Back to School: First Test (Protector of the Small, #1) by Tamora Pierce Blythewood (Blythewood, #1) by Carol Goodman

Finished:
Undertow (Undertow #1) by Michael Buckley Wake (Watersong #1) by Amanda Hocking Blythewood (Blythewood, #1) by Carol Goodman Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renee Ahdieh Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (saraphinasnape) | 19 comments I’m so in.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Jennifer wrote: "I'm in as well.

List of Potentials:
1. Summer Cover:
2. Summer Release:
3. Summer Setting: A Summer Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #1) by Kathleen Fuller
4. Summer Clothes:
5. Summer Essentials: [bookcover:Love & Gelato|2..."

OMG I love Protector of the Small!

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Jennifer | 395 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I'm in as well.

List of Potentials:
1. Summer Cover:
2. Summer Release:
3. Summer Setting:
4. Summer Clothes:
5. Summer Essentials: [bookcove..."

Ok, so I must admit that I am very, very new to Tamora Pierce!! I first read her Trickster duology in September-ish and then I went crazy it was so amazing!!! I got her Alanna quartet and Immortals quartet for Christmas and they were so very good.
It's insane that I waited until I was in my 30s to read an amazing author that writes in my favorite genre!!!

message 14: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Jennifer wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I'm in as well.

I grew up reading her—and I'm so thankful for that!

The world-building in the Tortall books is so fascinating and well-conceived.

message 15: by Kdbrand (last edited Jul 04, 2018 02:37PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished my first one! When We Collided by Emery Lord --story takes place during summer

Updated post #4

message 16: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Book #1
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Summer Setting
This is a classic that I never got around to reading. It was enjoyable but longer than I was expecting.

PS: The audio version I listened to has a cover with quite vicious looking rabbits on it. I was scrolling for the right cover and noticed the rest of the covers have these really pleasant looking, solitary rabbits and/or serene landscapes...

message 17: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Jul 08, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Updated for all July 8! It is not too late to join in.

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey Anderson | 637 comments I've faild a lot lately but may try this one! Count me in

message 19: by mich (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:03PM) (new)

mich I'll try this also!

Finished #1 (Summer release - July)
Bright We Burn (The Conqueror's Saga, #3) by Kiersten White

message 20: by Kdbrand (last edited Jul 13, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished #2 Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson --summer in title

My summer choices so far have made me cry. Hope my next one is more upbeat!

Updated post #4

message 21: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Welcome, Casey and Mich. Hopefully the categories are broad enough that you'll find awesome books that fit the challenge.

message 22: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Updated for all July 15

message 23: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished #3-- Sixteenth Summer (Sixteenth Summer #1) by Michelle Dalton --summer clothes

This is a cute book about falling in love for the first time, 3 stars.

Updated post #4

message 24: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Jul 16, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 1!

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (back to school)

It's over 200 pages, so I'm counting it! If you've read anything by Raina Telgemeier, you'll know what you're getting into. I liked it, but I felt like it wasn't as good as Smile, Sisters or the Baby-Sitters Club series. It was on par with Ghosts.

Callie loves the theater, and when her school starts a new production of Moon Over Mississippi, she's appointed as the set designer! But between the drama on stage and the drama off stage, and her growing feelings for two brothers new to the school, Callie doesn't know if she can manage.

message 25: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 18, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Jennifer | 395 comments Finished the first three books.
Undertow (Undertow #1) by Michael Buckley - Takes place at a summer vacation destination (setting) - Coney Island
Wake (Watersong #1) by Amanda Hocking - Summer clothes, also she's in the ocean, that's totally summery :)
Blythewood (Blythewood, #1) by Carol Goodman - Starting a new school year

Undertow and Wake were okay reads, but not enough that I want to continue their storylines. I really enjoyed Blythewood a lot. I found it for $1, so it was quite a great deal :)

message 26: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments updated 7/22. Hope y'all are having a great start to your summers!

message 27: by mich (new)

mich Updated my post #19

Finished my first one (summer release)

I was disappointed. But then again, I'm cursed with having problems with series finales. (I always let my expectations affect me. And I happened to have REALLY loved this particular series, so my expectations had been kinda ridiculously high lol.)

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 395 comments Awe no! I'm getting ready to start this series as soon as I'm done with my current book. I'm really looking forward to it! I hope I'm not let down by the finale too. I know what you mean about them being a let down. It makes me sad.

mich wrote: "Updated my post #19

Finished my first one (summer release)

I was disappointed. But then again, I'm cursed with having problems with series finales. (I always ..."

message 29: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Jul 27, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 2

The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas (back to school/summer release)

Not gonna lie, this felt majorly misadvertised. It was less stabby and so much talk and blah and honestly I didn't give a flaming f— about Monica.

Full review here in case anyone wants to see my amazing gif skillz:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by mich (new)

mich Jennifer wrote: "Awe no! I'm getting ready to start this series as soon as I'm done with my current book. I'm really looking forward to it! I hope I'm not let down by the finale too. I know what you mean about them..."

Still look forward to it! :) I really liked the first 2 books a lot. And it looks like a lot of people like the last book as well, so don't worry! hopefully you'll like it :)

message 31: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Update Melanie (#3)

Bad News (Bad, #3) by Pseudonymous Bosch
Summer Setting- summer camp
This is closer to MG than YA, but I've been following this series & author for a while and I have liked all of his works. Lemony Snicket fans should also like this author.

message 32: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Everyone should be updated 7/29!

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 3
Girls Can't Hit by T.S. Easton summer release

It's a feminist book that says all of the right things at the right times, but something just felt off. I couldn't put a finger on it. However, it is enjoyable, particularly in the last 90%. 3.5 stars.

message 34: by Kdbrand (last edited Jul 30, 2018 03:25PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished #4 Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2) by Ally Carter -summer essentials

Updated post #4

message 35: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Read a new release for #5 Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky -trying to get through this challenge before school starts.

Updated post #4

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Oh I'm struggling with this one. I'm trying to find summer related YA books I want to read. I have these two lined up but I'm not sure if they fit any of the categories. Can anyone help me??? Anyone read these and know if they fit or not? Thanks!

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon , The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1) by Paula Stokes

message 37: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Art of Lainey is set in the summer. Unfortunately, The Sun is Also a Star is set in fall.

You can also scroll through this whole page and see what others are reading. It may give you ideas. FYI: you don’t need to hit each category. 6 books any way you can mix and match will do. Good Luck!

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Thank you Melanie!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 395 comments I've finished book #4: Summer Release - Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renee Ahdieh

It's the conclusion to a great duology set in feudal Japan. I enjoyed both books. Although I would say book 1 was better. However, I did like how it ended :)

-Updated post #10

message 40: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Kdbrand wrote: "Read a new release for #5 Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky-trying to get through this challenge before school starts.

Updated post #4"

You certainly are rocking this challenge!

message 41: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments Book #3
Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire
MA - summer clothes

This is a pretty standard Seanan McGuire book. It's kind of campy, light-on-facts sci-fi. It is not as deep as the Newsflesh trilogy, but fun in its own way.

message 42: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments updated 8/14

Reminder: the challenge runs through the end of September; it's never too late to join.

message 43: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Aug 20, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Book 4 is done!

Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch (summer essentials)

I WILL finish this challenge

I just need to stop reading MG books and graphic novels and be an adult lmao

Post #5 is updated

message 44: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Melanie wrote: "Kdbrand wrote: "Read a new release for #5 Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky-trying to get through this challenge before school starts.

Updated post #4"

You certainly are rocking this challenge!"

Thanks, Melanie! School started last week, and I am suffering my beginning of school year teacher tired. Now to find a shorter, back-to-school book to complete the challenge!!

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 5
Mirage (Mirage, #1) by Somaiya Daud (summer release)
I absolutely adored the Moroccan-inspired sci-fi setting, and came away wanting a lot more of the setting and the world and the background (there was so much background and I felt like what I got was just a brief scraping off the very top layers—part of the problem was the first person POV with Amani, who doesn't get out much). It had a lot of potential, but fell short due to massive plot-dragging from the clunky insta-love sub/main(?) plot.

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Finished my first 2 books.

1. The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1) by Paula Stokes - Summer setting
2. The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10) by Darynda Jones - Summer cover

I'm on the board. yay!

message 47: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments You are all updated.
Good luck as you say goodbye to summer and wend your way to the challenge end.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 6!

This is a cute retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in modern-day Brooklyn and featuring a Haitian-Dominican Elizabeth Bennet and a Black Mr. Darcy.

It's very, very good.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments For some reason I thought this challenge was over. Since it's not I can add The Accidentals by Sarina Bowen . (Summer setting and back to school) I really enjoyed this one. Very sweet.

message 50: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1280 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Finished book 6!

This is a cute retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in modern-day Brooklyn and featuring a Haitian-Dominican Elizabeth Bennet and a Bl..."

Woo Hoo! Congratualtions!

« previous 1