SFBRP Listeners discussion

The Diamond dozen

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 14 comments So, I get the "12 books in one go" subscription from Audible for my birthday. I have a taste for Space Opera, weird ficiton, and fantasy (so long as it doesn't have a gloassary of 80 pages and about 1,000 characters in it) what do I choose? What would your 'diamond dozen' off Audible be? Wht would you recommend?

Thanks
Andy

message 2: by Andrew (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:39AM) (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 14 comments PS Luke, given your breadth of reading and enthusiasm for providing opinion on all things SF - I'd be very interested to hear your views .
A

message 3: by David Sven (last edited Aug 02, 2014 03:02AM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 4 comments Going by books you haven't already read

Blood Song plus sequel Tower Lord
A Game of Thrones plus sequels
The Blade Itself plus any Abercrombie book narrated by Steven Pacey
Terminal World
Altered Carbon
Heroes Die
The Lies of Locke Lamora + sequels.
The Wise Man's Fear

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 14 comments Thanks David - this is a good prompt for me to get my act together and update my books - I've read (and did enjoy) Altered Carbon

A

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 45 comments I get nearly all of my books from audible, and review most of them on goodreads. Check out my profile for ideas.

You should also visit the profile of Althea, one of my goodreads friends. And, of course, Luke's own ratings here are a great resource.

message 6: by Alain (new)

Alain Fournier | 4 comments If you enjoyed Altered Carbon I would read the two sequels which are pretty interesting.

On the Space Opera front I am not sure if you have read him but nothing says space opera like Peter Hamilton. I would check out Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.

I also would check out the Expanse series of books by James S.A. Corey which are a bit of a throw back with the action taking place solely in our solar system.

I also liked the Revelation Space books by Alastair Reynolds but they are a bit of a slow burn soemtimes.

I also enjoyed the Quiet War series by Paul McAuley which is also takes place in our solar system.

If you haven't check out Iain Banks books those are highly recommended as well.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 14 comments Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Cheers
Andy