Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Duplicate of My Book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Forni | 4 comments There is a duplicate with no cover of my book: "And Then They Were Gone" by Judy Bebelaar and Ron Cabral. One has a cover picture, one does not. The profile with the cover picture has more information.
Can you merge the 2 book profiles keeping the cover picture and ratings on both books intact?
Also, the book does not come up when you search for the title, only the author. How do we fix that?

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 11545 comments As they are different formats, they shouldn't be merged, only combined. The hardcover is more popular, so it is now showing as default. I corrected also the author names.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Forni | 4 comments Thanks so much,

But there is no hardcover version, only paperback.

How do we fix the search issue? Judy Bebelaar and Ron Cabral are the correct authors, there was nothing incorrect there.

Now when I search (author only, title still does not come up with the book), it only comes up with the cover picture-less version showing only Judy Bebelaar as the author.

And what is the difference between merging and combining, may I ask? I attempted to "combine editions" (as the website instructs) before I reached out here, but nothing happened.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25054 comments Combining links different editions to each other. Merging subsumes one edition into another, leaving only one survivor. If there was never a hardcover, merging may actually be what is needed here.

Goodreads' search function sucks; unfortunately we can't do anything about that. With a title that has many common words (and popular works with similar titles) you just have to put in more info such as the author.

message 5: by Andrea (last edited Jun 25, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Andrea Forni | 4 comments Thanks, Scott!
Very helpful.
Will wait to hear back from Renske about the merging and getting back the cover picture.

message 6: by Renske (new)

Renske | 11545 comments The problem with the author names was they were added as one profile with both names, instead of a profile for each of them.

After some searching, I could indeed not find anything about a hardcover, so I merged the edition.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Forni | 4 comments Ah, thanks.

Yes, first book for both authors and it happens to be together.

Sounds great and it seems to work correctly now, thanks so much!