Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story
This topic is about The Castle of Wolfenbach
The Castle of Wolfenbach > Castle of Wolfenbach- Entire Book (Spoiler Thread)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
Discussion for entire book. Please realize that this is a spoiler thread.

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Character List:

Matilda Weimar: a supposed orphan

Mr. Weimar: Matilda's uncle (villain?)

Victoria, Countess of Wolfenbach- lady who "haunts" the castle Matilda first flees to. She uses the name Madame Le Roche in England.

Count Wolfenbach- mean husband of Victoria. He sells the property that Joseph and Bertha maintain. (villain?)

Charlotte, Marchioness de Melfort: Victoria’s sister, aid and friend to Matilda in France

Marquis de Melfort: Charlotte’s husband

Albert: Matilda's servant who helps her flee from her uncle.

Joseph: Victoria's servant who helps Matilda. Married to Bertha. flees when castle goes on fire.

Bertha: Joseph's wife who doesn't know about Victoria and dies in fire

message 3: by Charlene (last edited Jul 10, 2018 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Baron Wolmar- rescued Joseph after the fire. (I spent ages trying to remember who he was).

Adelaide de Bouville- daughter of Marchioness's friend. Adelaide befriends Matilda. She marries Mr. de Clermont towards end of first volume

Count de Bouville- Adelaide's brother and befriends Matilda. He defends Matilda against slander by his acquaintances.

Mademoiselle de Fontelle: hates Matilda and spreads slander about Matilda. She wants to marry Count de Bouville.

Mrs. Courtney: rescues Victoria and takes her to England

Lord Delby- Mrs. Courtney's uncle

message 4: by Charlene (last edited Jul 12, 2018 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mother Magdalene- mother superior at abbey in France. Her father was lost at sea, mother seriously ill, and bankrupt. Her lover decided to woo a rich widow so he could support her and she refused to allow that.

Frederic- son of Victoria, lives in Vienna and is a soldier (Count bought him a commission).

Anastasia Kinderman | 670 comments Mod
Did anyone else find the Count and Matilda's relationship hilarious? The flowery, love-sick writing had me shaking my head and laughing at points haha.

Count Berniti: Matilda’s murdered father, a Neapolitan

Countess Berniti (nee Morlini): Matilda’s mother

Agatha- Mr. Weimar's accomplice who helps steal Matilda

Captain: of the Turkish ship that overtakes Matilda and Weimar's vessel. A virtuous pirate

Count Marcellini- Countess Berniti's relatives from Naples

Countess Marcellini- Countess Berniti's relatives from Naples

Anastasia wrote: "Did anyone else find the Count and Matilda's relationship hilarious? The flowery, love-sick writing had me shaking my head and laughing at points haha."

It was fun to read. Definitely a change of pace from what you see in television and book now.

Castle is not a character drive novel. But do you feel like there was character growth in the novel or are all the characters flat stock character types?

I keep coming back to thinking about the characters. Even though the determinedness of mind in the characters become more resolved throughout the book, I can't see this as actual character growth. So I do think of them more as stock characters. But is this because the characters (especially Matilda and Count de Bourville) seem too good to be true?

message 10: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anastasia Kinderman | 670 comments Mod
Hmmmm. I guess I feel like the characters were a certain way and when confronted with challenges they behaved true to their character. Would that be considered growth? For example, we know Matilda thinks of others and doesn't want to inconvenience anyone and she consistently displays this behavior, giving up what she wants even when it gets harder and harder. While she does learn a lot, or rather has her characteristics reinforced, is that really growth?
I'm undecided. In real life we call this "sticking to your principles." I think that's usually considered growth.