Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story
This topic is about The Castle of Wolfenbach
The Castle of Wolfenbach > Castle of Wolfenbach Vol. 2 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
Last half of book. It looked like it was a little over 100 pages in my copy.

Please no spoilers (use spoiler html if necessary). There will be a separate thread for entire book with spoilers.

Anastasia Kinderman | 666 comments Mod
I found the last half of the book more engrossing than the first half. I actually thought about not finishing it because in the beginning it just wasn't grabbing my attention but the flow seemed to get better as the book progressed.
I imagined Parsons hurriedly writing this down and submitting the first draft as the final draft, that's how it seemed!

It really felt like Castle was set up as sort of an escape read from everyday life especially with the happy endings.

message 4: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (last edited Jul 22, 2018 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anastasia Kinderman | 666 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "It really felt like Castle was set up as sort of an escape read from everyday life especially with the happy endings."

Having read Northanger Abbey, that really seems to fit. Remember how the gentlemen there looked down on the novels because they seemed tripe and escapistey?

Anastasia wrote: "Charlene wrote: "It really felt like Castle was set up as sort of an escape read from everyday life especially with the happy endings."

Having read Northanger Abbey, that really seems to fit. Reme..."

I remember but that is half the fun of reading. I don't think the gentlemen in Northanger Abbey really understood that (except for Henry Tilney).