Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story
This topic is about The Castle of Wolfenbach
The Castle of Wolfenbach > Castle of Wolfenbach Vol. 1 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
On my copy, volume one was about 105 pages. As I was flipping through this morning, I didn't see any chapter numbers or titles.

Please no spoilers (use spoiler html if necessary). There will be a separate thread for entire book with spoilers.

Anastasia Kinderman | 670 comments Mod
I'm excited for this. I already have my copy on the Kindle.

Anastasia wrote: "I'm excited for this. I already have my copy on the Kindle."

I picked this one just because it is one of the ones mentioned in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. I had already read a couple of Ann Radcliffe's books and want to see another author mentioned in Jane Austen's novel.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I’ve also got my copy ready

I think it will be nearer to July 6 when I will get to start Castle of Wolfenbach. I am only half way through my current book.

I don't seem to find much more than a Wikipedia article on Eliza Parsons.

It is interesting that it wasn't until the 1920s until people realized the books listed in Northanger Abbey are real published novels.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/jane-a...

Here are some articles on the Gothic novel.

https://lithub.com/in-praise-of-the-h...

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/e...

http://blogs.bl.uk/english-and-drama/...

I thought it was interesting that the last article pointed out about consumerism in 1790s.

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 224 comments I'm hoping to read this too. I have a feeling I'd really like the horribleness. Enjoyed the articles Charlene--thank you!

message 9: by Cam (new)

Cam | 116 comments Thanks for the links Charlene! I unfortunately won't have time to read The Castle of Wolfenbach this summer but I found the articles really interesting (apart from the use of the word 'slutty' in the Lit Hub post - lazy, unnecessary and damaging).

Re: consumerism, I'm currently reading Empire of Things: How We Became a World of Consumers, from the Fifteenth Century to the Twenty-First and although I haven't gotten to the 18th century yet it was intriguing to start thinking about how literature contributes to consumerism. Thanks for sharing.

With no chapters, I have found it is hard to keep track of the different characters. All the counts, barons and such are getting confused.

Just in case there is any spoilers for others, I will go post a character list in the entire book spoiler thread.

I finished volume 1 last night.
Castle of Wolfenbach reads differently from other gothic novels I have read. I don't feel like this one is depending on setting descriptions. The story is moving along without a gothic setting.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments Charlene wrote: "With no chapters, I have found it is hard to keep track of the different characters. All the counts, barons and such are getting confused.

Just in case there is any spoilers for others, I will go ..."

I agree, I started this last Friday and I'm finding it a bit hard to follow. I feel it's because of the lack of breaks between paragraphs and chapters. Let's see if I stick it out.

message 13: by Charlene (last edited Jul 16, 2018 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa wrote: "Charlene wrote: "With no chapters, I have found it is hard to keep track of the different characters. All the counts, barons and such are getting confused.

Just in case there is any spoilers for o..."

I do have a list of characters in the spoiler thread. I haven't added any from the last quarter of the book so hopefully it shouldn't spoil too much.

I did find that once you were able to easily identify characters, it read fast. It does at a point sort of turn into an adventure novel.

message 14: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlene wrote: "I finished volume 1 last night.
Castle of Wolfenbach reads differently from other gothic novels I have read. I don't feel like this one is depending on setting descriptions. The story is moving al..."

It's more like (view spoiler)

And the crying.....oh the crying.....*bursts into copious floods of tears* jk.

Anastasia wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I finished volume 1 last night.
Castle of Wolfenbach reads differently from other gothic novels I have read. I don't feel like this one is depending on setting descriptions. The s..."

I wonder if some of the action in the book is reflection upon the French Revolution which was happening during the book's writing.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I’m about to give up...

You can make it! The second half is where most of the action of the book is at.

message 18: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa wrote: "I’m about to give up..."

It gets better.

message 19: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlene wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I finished volume 1 last night.
Castle of Wolfenbach reads differently from other gothic novels I have read. I don't feel like this one is depending on setting d..."

I definitely noticed the whole "England is better than France" vibe she had going. All the nice French people that are portrayed as likable are described as "being English-like".