SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Would You Rather...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 624 (624 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
I dunno about you, but I have these nerd debates not infrequently. Please feel free to post your own (but let's keep it PG please!)

Here's my first.

Would you rather live in a world with magic and quests but no electricity or running water, OR live in a future where everything was provided to you but the differences between person and machine were so slight that you were always tracked and hackable?

message 2: by Mason (new)

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Magic and quests 1000%

message 3: by Mason (new)

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Would you rather live on Roshar (Stormlight Archive) and be Stormblessed or on Scadrial and be Mistborn?

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Allison wrote: "Would you rather live in a world with magic and quests but no electricity or running water, OR live in a future where everything was provided to you but the differences between person and machine were so slight that you were always tracked and hackable?"

We already live in something pretty close to that second option, so I guess I'd go fantasy just for a change of pace.

message 5: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments I choose the modern conveniences of the future.

message 6: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Would you rather live in a world with magic and quests but no electricity or running water, OR live in a future where everything was provided to you but the differences between person and machine were so slight that you were always tracked and hackable?"

My ultimate dream is to be a brain in a jar, or preferably just a consciousness in a net, so this one is easy. Track me all you want, as long as I don't have to deal with the squishy human bits!

message 7: by Faith (new)

Faith | 331 comments People aren't that great. I vote for machine world.

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Mason wrote: "Would you rather live on Roshar (Stormlight Archive) and be Stormblessed or on Scadrial and be Mistborn?"

Roshar a million times!

message 9: by Mason (new)

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Anna wrote: "My ultimate dream is to be a brain in a jar"

Lmao...

message 10: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments Mason wrote: "Would you rather live on Roshar (Stormlight Archive) and be Stormblessed or on Scadrial and be Mistborn?"

Mistborn

message 11: by Hank (new)

Hank (hankenstein) | 1128 comments Future for sure, how are you supposed to read your kindle books without electricity? Consciousness in a net! I am down with that.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments I chose future. Then, I’ll use the holodeck (or equivalent) to create a magic world to play in. When I bore of it, I’ll take my shower in the future and let big brother watch and log it all in his file on me.

message 13: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1972 comments Allison wrote: "I dunno about you, but I have these nerd debates not infrequently. Please feel free to post your own (but let's keep it PG please!)

Here's my first.

Would you rather live in a world with magic an..."

Magic, running water is easy to come by. Water Falls are us.

message 14: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Hank wrote: "Future for sure, how are you supposed to read your kindle books without electricity? Consciousness in a net! I am down with that."

Pretty much my exact thoughts! I'm not really worried about being tracked. I'm pretty boring. The agent assigned to me would either fall asleep, or be concerned about how much time I spend looking up random Fandom things on Pinterest. Maybe my agent will become a Supernatural fan!

message 15: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Aha, but you could also be hacked! You could be, like, the Terminator, except not realize it!

message 16: by Hank (new)

Hank (hankenstein) | 1128 comments I plan on being the hacker, my new hero is the Clockmaker from The Prefect without the whole attaching bombs to someone's neck thing.

message 17: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Hank wrote: "I plan on being the hacker, my new hero is the Clockmaker from The Prefect without the whole attaching bombs to someone's neck thing."

It's good to have goals. Haha!

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike Mason wrote: "Magic and quests 1000%"

You died of dysentery, age 14.

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Skynet for me, please.

message 21: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Magic and quests! I don't want to be hacked, and magic can easily make up for a lot of things we do with technology.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments All the magic, all the time. Add a droplet for some elf or dwarf made steel and I'm all in.

message 23: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK | 1397 comments Fun topic. :) Magic and quests sound cooler at first but, realistically speaking, I’m a programmer with minimal real-life skills suitable for quests. Also, there are a lot of painful ways to die if one is a victim of magic.

So I’ll go with the future setting, because I would more likely be a productive member of society and my skill set would be a little better suited to learning to protect myself from the modern dangers of tracking and hacking, to whatever extent I decided to be worried about that.

message 24: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?

message 25: by Kristin B. (last edited Jun 28, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

Would the changes be permanent? Like if I changed my house, would it stay changed? If so, I'd love that. I can make a lot of changes in 24 hours!

If not, then definitely the question. But I would want it recorded so I could broadcast whatever I learned. The world could really use some better information. Especially these days.

message 26: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Kristin B. wrote: "Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

..."

Just 24 hours! Then reality resets.

message 27: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Allison wrote: "Just 24 hours! Then reality resets.
..."

Yeah, I'll take permanent knowledge over temporary joy any day. :)

message 28: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

I'd probably want the question, but I'd have to figure out what to ask first.

message 29: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments I would live with 100 cats for 24 hours.

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2525 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

I know the answer is 42 so I'll pick the later.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Definitely the question.

If I could change reality for 24 hours and those changes stayed, then I'd pick that, but if it's temporary... seems pointless.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

I would change the entire world so everyone could get a taste of what it would be like if we weren’t petty and selfish. When it changed back, it might inspire enough people to effect real changes in the world.

That would benefit the most people.

message 33: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1972 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have any one question you asked answered fully and truthfully by an omniscient entity OR the ability to make any changes you wanted to your reality for 24 hours?"

Oh I like the ability to make changes to my reality.

message 34: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 64 comments I need my running water and electricity, so the future it is with me. I imagine my past selves (?) before the mid 20th century were probably terrible for their times 😅.

message 35: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?

message 36: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Would ALL my senses be heightened? I guess it might be worth smelling everything for a guaranteed 14 hours of sleep.

message 37: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yes, all senses! Possibly even the sixth sense.

message 38: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?"

the latter sounds like a cat

message 39: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

CBRetriever wrote: "Allison wrote: "Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?"

the latter sounds like a cat"

I may have had a muse ;-)

message 40: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments and 14 hours might be a bit short of normal adult sleep time for cats

message 41: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

CBRetriever wrote: "and 14 hours might be a bit short of normal adult sleep time for cats"

I took the average. I was going to say 18 based on my lazy bums, but the internet informs me that's extra lazy, even for a cat. (And before anyone gets concerned, they are very happy, healthy animals, just incredibly lazy!)

So, which would you rather?

message 42: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

(Funny anecdote, I initially said tail, no thumbs. My spouse told me there was no way I could live without thumbs. So I tried to prove him wrong by picking up my sandwich without thumbs. It promptly exploded and I almost lodged an entire avocado in my lung I started laughing so hard.

"See? You can't go 10 seconds without thumbs without dying," he said, sort of amazed, sort of sad. Probably because he has a partner that can't get through a meal without a near-disaster.)

message 43: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments 14 hours of sleep every time....sounds like weekends as a teenager. As long as I don’t have a teenager and have to go into their room and smell it. You’d need 14 hours of uninterrupted sleep to recover from the sensory overload.

I’m currently getting very little sleep and I’m always exhausted. Old menopausal women don’t sleep much.

message 44: by Trike (new)

Trike Allison wrote: "Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?"

I’d rather have whatever drugs you’re on.

message 45: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Trike wrote: "Allison wrote: "Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?"

I’d rather have whatever drugs you’re on."

Claritin for everyone!!!

message 46: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Allison wrote: "Would you rather have a prehensile tail but no opposable thumb or have to sleep 14 hours a day but have heightened senses?"

This is a tough one. Because I'm at work 9 hours a day. Add in travel time and 14 hours of sleep and my day is over. Unless my heightened senses gets me a job that I can make a lot more money in a lot less time, then my day is shot. (Plus my husband and my boy-child can be pretty stinky. A better sense of smell may not be in my best interest.)

On the other hand, I like my thumbs. (Well, I like them on both hands actually.) But since I mostly read on a kindle I think I could do that without thumbs. My job is mostly on a computer and I really only need thumbs for the space bar. With the prehensile tail I can carry in extra groceries. And really, it's all about making less trips after shopping. I think I'd go with losing the thumbs and gaining a tail. (I'd have to make my husband alter all my pants. Because, you know, no thumbs for sewing.)

message 47: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Allison wrote: "(Funny anecdote, I initially said tail, no thumbs. My spouse told me there was no way I could live without thumbs. So I tried to prove him wrong by picking up my sandwich without thumbs. It promptl..."

I am typing this without tumbs. First I almost flagged your comment trying to reply. Then I mispelled just about every word. It took me 1p minutes. I,mm going with sleepy extra sen see s

message 48: by thalassic (new)

thalassic | 50 comments Having sliced a chunk off the thumb of my dominant hand and been unable to use it for a month, I can tell you that it's very possible to adjust to not having a thumb. It actually took me a little while to get used to using it again after that. I typed this pretty easily without using either thumb. I'd want more hours in my day.

Cut the sandwich in half and use both hands to hold it. It takes some patience to relearn the ways you think about basic actions as well as learning to preform those movements. And time for your hands to adjust to being used in unfamiliar ways.

message 49: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK | 1397 comments There is almost nothing for which I'd be willing to give up another 7 hours of my day. I already feel like there aren’t enough hours. I might do it in exchange for the ability to manipulate time, or for super speed, or for something that would compensate for the lost hours, but not for heightened senses which in itself would have both advantages and disadvantages. Imagine how much more a stubbed toe or a papercut would hurt, much less a serious injury. How much more miserable would even a cold or a headache be? I’m already a light sleeper, so how would I manage my required 14 hours of sleep a day with heightened hearing?

So I’ll have to go for the prehensile tail with lost thumb(s) as the lesser of the two evils, since at least the tail could be used to compensate for the thumbs. I’d prefer to pick “none of the above”, though! What kind of sadistic choice is this? ;)

message 50: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments Funny, when I think of having heightened senses, I think of all the things I tune out that I wouldn't want to be tuned in to. Do I really need a better whiff of the catbox down the hall? Do I really want to hear the beetle skittering across the patio? My eyesight isn't great, so heightened vision would be cool.

When I taught 5th grade, we did an activity in which the students had to tape down both thumbs and then try to do various tasks (to gain an understanding and appreciation of our wonderfully amazing skeletal system). Some kids are very competitive, and they found ways to do the tasks without thumbs. And most of them didn't even have tails to compensate.

That being said, I vote no thumbs and tail. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a banana to peel.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13