Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > SF Short Story Feedback?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Would anyone out there be willing to read an SF short story I wrote and offer feedback on it? It's a tad over 10 pages long, not quite 2500 words. I plan on sending it around to SF magazines, but it's a somewhat unusual presentation, so I'd like to hear what a couple people think. If you're interested, please email me (if you have my address) or PM me with your address so I can send it to you. Thanks!

message 2: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Somebody sent me an email offering to read the story. Thank you, whoever you were! But alas, I accidentally blew away your email and don't know who you were anymore, so if you could kindly resend, I'll be more careful next time. Thank you, and sorry about that!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Eisenbrey | 18 comments That may have been me. Will try again.

message 4: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Karen wrote: "That may have been me. Will try again."

I think it was. I just sent the story along. Thanks, and sorry about that!

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Thanks to Karen and Debz for the feedback on this story. I've submitted it to Asimov's. We'll see what happens . . .

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Good luck. I enjoyed that one.

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments D.J. wrote: "Good luck. I enjoyed that one."

Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Eisenbrey | 18 comments Good luck!

message 9: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Karen wrote: "Good luck!"

Thank you!

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Asimov's rejected it in record time. I thought it would take them a couple more days, at least. :-P

F&SF next . . .

message 11: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Oh well. Onto the next one. I don’t know which is worse the quick rejections that make you wonder if they even read it or the ones which make you wait while you build your hopes up before rejecting it.

message 12: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments D.J. wrote: "Oh well. Onto the next one. I don’t know which is worse the quick rejections that make you wonder if they even read it or the ones which make you wait while you build your hopes up before rejecting..."

Both are equally bad. ;-)

Analog still hasn't responded to "Safe House," which I sent them two months ago. But they do say their response time is in the 3 - 4 month range. I'm wondering why they are so slow when their competitors are rejecting stories a lot faster. Not enough staff, maybe? Or maybe they just take more time to consider works.

F&SF is closed for submissions during July so they can catch up, so I submitted "Testimony" to Clarkesworld instead.

message 13: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Oh, now here's something interesting. A lot of these magazines are using the same online submission software. You submit stories electronically, they assign you a number, and you can log back in with your email and number to get a status update. The status is always something obvious like, "received" or "rejected". The system at Clarkesworld has a key displayed, though, as follows:

Received: Your story has not been read yet.
Under Review: Your story is currently in the hands of one of our staff.
Under Review (Second Round): Your story is in the top 3% and has moved onto the next round.
Accepted: Your story has been accepted for publication and we have emailed an acceptance letter.
Rejected: Your story wasn't right for us and we have emailed a rejection letter.

That bit about two rounds of "under review" and the 3% figure is the interesting part. If they're picking just 3 out of every 100 stories received (on average, I'd guess) to go to the second round, it would be quite an accomplishment to get even that far. I wonder how many of those 3 make the final cut? Probably less than one . . .

message 14: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Ok, so someone has to be picked but with those odds is it even worth the bother?

message 15: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments D.J. wrote: "Ok, so someone has to be picked but with those odds is it even worth the bother?"

It's worth it if you have a good enough story. ;-) They sent me a rejection this morning, though. I may have to try some of the lesser magazines. F&SF is closed for submissions this month, and I am still waiting on Analog to reply to my previous submission.

I have a feeling this particular story is a bit too oddball (in terms of the storytelling technique) for the mainstream SF mags.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread