The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > recommendations please

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheridan (new)

Sheridan Jones (sheridanrenae) | 6 comments I have recently joined this site. I am hoping someone would be able to recommend any good Crime mystery standalones as sometimes I don't feel like starting a series. I enjoy Tess Gerritsen, patricia cornwell, Kathy Reich, James Patterson, Agatha Christie, Henning Mankell, Tana French, SJ Bolton.

any recommendations would be much appreciated. thank you in advance

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 233 comments Hi, and welcome!

I always recommend Val McDermid. As well as a couple of series (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan and Kate Brannigan)her stand-alones are superb. A Place of Execution, The Distant Echo, The Grave Tattoo, Killing The Shadows.

I'd also recommend Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, anything by Christopher Brookmyre or Elmore Leonard and Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. While that last has spawned some sequels it feels like a stand alone. Not read the others yet, although they are on Mount TBR.

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob Berry (sizeonehead) | 27 comments Sheridan wrote: "I have recently joined this site. I am hoping someone would be able to recommend any good Crime mystery standalones as sometimes I don't feel like starting a series. I enjoy Tess Gerritsen, patrici..."
Lawrence Block's Scudder books. Considered as a whole , I think they are one of the great achievements in American Literature. The Bernie books , though fun, seem trivial and don't represent Block's real genius.
Got this far in this post and I realize you asked specifically for standalones> Excuse me. Suggestion: Donald E. Westlake The Ax Block has a good standalone called Small Town.

message 4: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35532 comments Laura Lippman has some good standalones.

message 5: by Sheridan (new)

Sheridan Jones (sheridanrenae) | 6 comments thank you all so much.

message 6: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Dennis Lehane Mystic River , Shutter Island, both great novels.

message 7: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 49 comments I agree with Paul Pezski's list. All outstanding stories and beautifully written. The same goes for Dennis Lehane's two. Be sure and read all three of the Child 44 trilogy (Secret Speech and Agent 6) by Tom Rob Smith. Linwood Barclay writes standalones and I always enjoy those. Citizen Vince by Jess Walter took the Edgar for Best Novel. Michael Robotham writes mysteries with reoccurring characters rather than a series. One favorite of mine is The Wreckage.

message 8: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2306 comments Check out Harlan Coben's stand alone thrillers, too.

I've only read a few (Tell No One, Gone For Good, Just One Look, The Woods, and Stay Close) and found them all to be edge-of-your-seat reads.

As I told a friend who asked about Coben: He will keep you guessing right up to the last page – and you’ll guess wrong because he has a twist you never expected.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 62 comments Quillracer wrote: "Check out Harlan Coben's stand alone thrillers, too.

I've only read a few (Tell No One, Gone For Good, Just One Look, The Woods, and Stay Close) and found them all to be edge-of-your-seat reads.

..."

I just finished MISSING YOU by Harlan Coben. Everything you just said is true.

message 10: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments trust noone by Harlan Cohen is his best

message 11: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments Started 'Broken Dolls' by James Carol. Central character is American although book set in UK. A bit gory in parts but I have read over 200 pages today (as well as working) so this is a sure sign of good book (in my opinion)

message 12: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 49 comments Christie wrote: "Started 'Broken Dolls' by James Carol. Central character is American although book set in UK. A bit gory in parts but I have read over 200 pages today (as well as working) so this is a sure sign of..."

I didn't recognize this author's name and could not find it listed on stopyourekillingme mystery site. Googled him and saw his books are only ebooks. Did you find his book in book form or is yours an ebook?

message 13: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments I read it in paperback from local library here in Scotland. I looked at amazon usa and it is available in paperback in USA. This book has been a bestseller in UK. I finished the book today, read it in two days it is a great story.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Weitz | 28 comments I recommend the Thomas Black books by Earl Emerson. Great character and great writing.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments Heather Gudenkauf and Mary Kubica. They are both great.

message 16: by Girish (new)

Girish | 5 comments Harlan Coben is good. Has quite a character in Myron Bolitar whom he uses well to build the story and suspense.

Try out Lee Child, Brian Haig & David Rollins too!

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 62 comments I recommend, among many others, the books of Tana French.

message 18: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments 'The Killing Season' by Mason Cross. Just read this for local library book club and everyone who read the book thought it was excellent, very unusual to get such agreement on a book. This is a debut novel.

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Girish, you have a great list; I also recommend Michael Connelly, Lisa Gardner, Jonathan Kellerman, Gillian Flynn, James Lee Burke, Carol O'Connell, John Sandford, Norah Roberts and the list goes on.
Welcome, welcome

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Preston | 3 comments Jeremiah's Codes by Paul Gilmour is one hell of a read...definitely worth it if you like fast paced action with twists and an intrigue mystery based story that is built on a number of real events... Well worth it.