Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Latin (International) Author Names

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7148 comments I'd like clarification regarding the policy:

AUTHORS PUBLISHED IN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES

Authors with books published in multiple languages should have their names dealt with similarly to those with pen names. All editions of each of their works should have the primary author name as the standard or most common Roman (that is, English-language) version of the author's name. Editions published under another spelling of the name or the name in another language should have that name listed as the secondary author. Additional author profiles may be linked directly from the About Me section on the author profile.

Different editions of a book not having the same primary author can cause quite a few distinct problems. Please keep the primary author for all editions of a work the same.
Does this mean that all works by an author should have "the most common Roman" version of the name or only those titles which have been translated?

See this discussion to note there is confusion, and note that the manual needs to be clarified.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45463 comments Mod
"All editions of each of their works" seems clear to me.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7148 comments rivka wrote: ""All editions of each of their works" seems clear to me."

Thank you, because that was my understanding, which I'm glad you have confirmed.

The manual is confusing because that isn't the same as "dealt with similarly to those with pen names" where the pen name is first, but an author could have multiple pen names and each title is dealt with accordingly.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14844 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The manual is confusing because that isn't the same as "dealt with similarly to those with pen names" where the pen name is first"

Exactly.

I am asking again to please remove that sentence.