Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Need some quick opinions - Audible

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments So my sister's birthday is next Saturday. She is a reader, but very busy right now with three kids. She has a second home that is a three hour drive away from her primary residence. So my sense is she is in the car quite a bit.

I am contemplating giving her a 12 month gift subscription to Audible.

I don't use Audible or audio books myself, so I'm wondering what you all think. Is this something you'd enjoy receiving as a gift? Why or why not?

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Here is what is included:

All gift memberships include:
1 credit per month — good for any audiobook

Access to ad-free exclusive audio shows

Your own audio library — you keep your books even after membership

Quick and easy exchanges on books you don't love

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments There is also an audiobook service called Libro.fm that benefits independent bookstores, if either of you prefer to support the local store. Their prices are comparable, and often cheaper. They’re also a subscription service.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Tracy wrote: "There is also an audiobook service called Libro.fm that benefits independent bookstores, if either of you prefer to support the local store. Their prices are comparable, and often cheaper. They’re ..."

That looks good too, but their gifting options appear to be limited to individual books? I don't see a gift option for an annual subscription similar to Audible. Maybe I'm just missing it . . .

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I would think a subscription would be a good gift, especially if she already uses audio books or is quick to learn new tech. I mean, it's not difficult to learn how to use Audible, but if she has no time to sit down and figure it out, that might be a bit awkward.

But the cool thing is, indeed, that she'll own the books she buys... no need to renew or return them or listen to them this year.

Just one more data point: Three hours is a short children's book. Most adult books are more than six, so a trip to & from her second home would have to followed by another listening opportunity, if she chose anything with a compelling narrative.

Still, I think it's a great gift idea!

I will look into Libro.fm, Tracy, ty.

message 6: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments As I am now in the "majority" audiobook camp, I think it's a great idea. I would love it.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I agree with Nicole D. If I got this gift, it would quickly make you my favorite family member! But, I am admittedly a huge audiobook fan.

message 8: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I agree. This is possibly a life saving gift for someone who spends hours commuting.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments The monthly subscription gives 1 free book a month but a small discounted rate on more books. They also run specials, like 3 credits or books for 33 dollars. (Credit = book) I love my subscription. Word of advice, if you go through the cancel process, they normally offer you a better deal. I have my subscription for half price.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Thanks so much for the input! I think I'm going to give it a try. If she loves it, awesome. If she doesn't - - well, she could probably let her children use it . . .or her husband who has a lot of commuting.

message 11: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments it takes practice.

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I would love this as a gift!

message 13: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Jgrace wrote: "I agree. This is possibly a life saving gift for someone who spends hours commuting."

Audiobooks saved my sanity when I was chauffering my kids everywhere. We listened to every Harry Potter book more than once, and despite the 7 years age gap between them everyone was happy.

message 14: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I agree with everyone - I'd love it as a gift.
and it does take a bit of time getting used to it, but it's worth it.

The option to return books is awesome!
I am brutal - even if I listed to a book all the way to the end - if I didn't like the book - I return it.
so you are not feeling like you've wasted a credit on a bad experience.

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m brutal too Idit! I probably return every second one that I start!

message 16: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I love my annual subscription!

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie wrote: "I’m brutal too Idit! I probably return every second one that I start!"

And I felt bad for returning my first one not too long ago! I didn't even know it was an option until then!

message 18: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I return them all the time!

message 19: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I work with kids and audiobooks are the only thing that keep me sane for our 45min commute each day when I drive them home from school. I have a double credit subscription and so I get myself a book and them one. I think it would be a great gift!

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Thanks everyone who chimed in! I bought it!