Play Book Tag discussion

Rigels øyne (Ingrid Barrøy, #3)
This topic is about Rigels øyne
Archive: Other Books > [Dechlaton] Rigels Øyne by Roy Jacobsen, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilde (last edited Jun 25, 2018 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Rigels Øyne by Roy Jacobsen****

Rigels Øyne is the third and final book in the trilogy about the way of living on the small islands surrounding North of Norway in the 1940s right before, under and after World War 2 (“øyfolket”, not sure how to translate it to English”). Roy Jacobsen was the first Norwegian author to be shortlisted to the Man Booker, with the first book in this trilogy (The Unseen/De usynlige). The next two in the trilogy have not been translated to English yet to my knowledge, but I hope they will as they are all beautiful books and deserves readers outside of Norway. (Book 2: Hvitt Hav).

This book starts where the second leaves us, and is written in the same quiet beauty as the first two books. You have to read between the lines to get the full meaning. It is set in the aftermath of World War 2, and we are slowly being introduced to the damage the war left in people. It’s hard to say a lot about this book without giving too much away from the first two, so I will leave it at that. The language is lovely, and some passages are written in dialect, which gives it a bit more personal touch (I am from this area, so I speak the same dialect).

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Sounds lovely, Hilde - thanks so much for the review, as I might not have heard of this otherwise

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Thank you, Kate :)