The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Outlander

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments OK so you can watch the first episode for free right now on the STARZ Outlander website and all I can say is WOW!

Good, really good!

1st half hour is the set up/intro to Claire, well done but quiet, slow but not boring. Then whoosh! Off she goes and it's dark and gritty and fascinating to see these characters I know so well coming to life onscreen.

Well done STARZ and Ron Moore and cast!

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Do you have a link? That's a good idea for the to let this go...

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Is there a way to watch it on ps3? (tv)

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Gosh can't you kids type in a few letters and go find a website and read info? Back in my day we walked 12 miles through blizzards to check out a 20 yr old movie on betamax which we watched on a tv that only had a knob you had to clunkily turn to change channels.

/sigh

The info says website, STARZ channel, cable on demand.

If you can access any of those through your ps3, xbox, cable box, tablet, phone, ipad, brain implants, there ya go. If not, how the heck are you reading this on the interwebs?

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Michele wrote: "Gosh can't you kids type in a few letters and go find a website and read info? Back in my day we walked 12 miles through blizzards to check out a 20 yr old movie on betamax which we watched on a tv..."

Well aren't you just a bundle of sunshine.

To answer Tamahome, depends on if there is a app for starz on the PS3. I didn't realize till I went to their website but they must have made a on-demand app for android and ios.

message 7: by Nick (last edited Aug 02, 2014 11:15AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments To speak about the show, I think the guy that dislocated his shoulder must have a tumor in his arm because I don't remember reading about there being weight lifting gyms in Rob Roy Scotland and people don't get muscles like that tending farms. Also his fellow travelers seem to be of the normally sized humans for that time.

Yes, I do realize the source material and I do realize it is TV so yes I am being a bit of a smart ass. :-)

message 8: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments At that point, Jamie Fraser was just getting back from being a mercenary in France, not working as a farmer. Soldiers can have muscles, right?

message 9: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Tamahome wrote: "Is there a way to watch it on ps3? (tv)"

I used a Chromecast to flip it up on the TV from the desktop. They work really well for just $35

message 10: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Nokomis.FL wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Is there a way to watch it on ps3? (tv)"

I used a Chromecast to flip it up on the TV from the desktop. They work really well for just $35"

From Chrome in Windows?

message 11: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Tamahome wrote: "Nokomis.FL wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Is there a way to watch it on ps3? (tv)"

I used a Chromecast to flip it up on the TV from the desktop. They work really well for just $35"

From Chrome in Win..."

OSX, but it should work the same from Windows.

message 12: by Clyde (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:39AM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 413 comments Michele wrote: "If you can access any of those through your ps3, xbox, cable box, tablet, phone, ipad, brain implants, there ya go. If not, how the heck are you reading this on the interwebs? "

But ... but ... I don't live in umerika.
Guess I'll have to use alternate means. Come to think of it, I have a buddy who has a Slingbox back in Arizona. I reckon he will help me out for a beer or two. (Damned expensive way to watch a TV show though. I mean, beers cost a bit. And, it never ends with just one or two.)

message 13: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Well, this thread took a turn for the dickish.

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Actually the pilot is free on Comcast on Demand at least.

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments ^ Comcast guy warned Ryan and Veronica not to switch. They shoulda listened.

message 16: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments He should have said: "at least wait til after Outlander, V!"

message 17: by Nick (last edited Aug 03, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Nokomis.FL wrote: "At that point, Jamie Fraser was just getting back from being a mercenary in France, not working as a farmer. Soldiers can have muscles, right?"

I kid. GoT gets a free ride on this because it is a different universe and not historical fiction. It does amaze me that most people in Westeros have pretty darn good teeth with exception of some of those heading to the wall.

The positives I've seen so far is that they have gone to great length it seems for Outlander to get costume and atmosphere right but its hard to get atmosphere wrong when you are shooting the Scottish country side.

Had a little bit of a laugh at the comment she makes about being dropped into a cinema costume drama later in the show.

I haven't read the series so not sure if this is completely intentional but it does seem a weird sort of situation for her to go from her being heavily amorous(trying to find a less crude way of saying they were boinking like rabbits) with her husband and then almost being raped by someone looking exactly like him.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Well, I was trying to be funny with my crazy exaggeration, but at the same time, I was brought up to believe that if the info I needed was easily available, then I should go look it up myself. And so I do.

And since I started the thread I was feeling responsible for providing all the info, which I don't have and didn't really feel like looking up, and no one was so that's silly of me.

Of course, no one was expecting me to go do their research, just hoping for a quick answer. So I'm sorry for getting snappy.

Anyway, the STARZ website is easily found, easy to navigate, the free to watch info is a big "click here to learn more" on the front Outlander page, and it seems many here have some info for other countries, apps and such. So hopefully you'll find it and enjoy.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments @Nick - in the books she is very weirded out by it, even has to fight an automatic response to comply to his demands. It's very bad for her. Dunno if it will be addressed during the show, but they do have other encounters.

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3511 comments Mod
Clyde wrote: "But ... but ... I don't live in umerika.
Guess I'll have to use alternate means."

I found an alternative method.
Bittorrent. Not legal, but at least it works world wide.

message 21: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 413 comments Nick wrote: "To speak about the show, I think the guy that dislocated his shoulder must have a tumor in his arm because I don't remember reading about there being weight lifting gyms in Rob Roy Scotland and peo..."

Military training in that period was very very physical. They didn't need gyms to put on muscle. You got strong or you had little chance of surviving battle. Longbowmen for example, were some of the most heavily muscled people around.

message 22: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 413 comments Finally managed to watch it. Great show so far.

message 23: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Much like he did with Battlestar Galactica, Ron Moore is doing a podcast for each episode. Most likely, this will become the DVD commentary.

The link can be found on the STARZ website in the Outlander extras section and streamed via iTunes.

http://assets.starz.com/stzcom/101pod.... Will open a player.