Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's July was a pretty good month list

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 02, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments My July books were enjoyable, and while I thought I would finish at least one other book, I did well with seven. I've read thirty-eight books so far on the year and am on my "usual" pace.
Girl with Glasses: My Optic History
Cop Town
The Night Searchers
By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain
The Silkworm
Euphoria
Field of Prey
Walsh, Marissa Girl with Glasses: My Optic History finished 7/4/2014 Audio *free from audible rank 8 of 10 A bit choppy, some interesting vignettes, but overall not much substance. I found myself, also a GWG, and sometimes contact lens wearer, relating to some of the experiences of eye exams and selecting glasses frames; but overall the premise that we are different because of our wearing glasses is not sustainable (in general, and for this book) Not an unpleasant(and free) audio

Slaughter, Karin Cop Town finished 7/10/2014 Audio rank 9.5 of 10 Harsh, gritty, maddening, compelling; set against a backdrop of the stark reality of the deplorable conditions and attitudes of the workplace environment Atlanta female and non-white cops faced in the 70's. With the streets or home not much better for anyone non-white or female we are introduced to a rookie cop on her first day. This unrelenting tale evolves into a bloody firestorm of suspense, where we are not sure anyone will emerge at all, and definitely not unscathed or unchanged - including the reader.

Muller, Marcia The Night Searchers finished 7/14/2014 Audio rank 9 of 10 The Sharon McCone character is a familiar friend in a favorite series; a character who has evolved and grown and continues to question and seek answers, justice and purpose. McCone's San Francisco reads like a neighborhood travelogue as she and her team seek to solve a case in this thirty-first book.

Hill, Joe By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain finished 7/19/2014 a Kindle short story rank 9 of 10 Delightful! A well crafted short story, imaginative and with a touch of whimsy and subtly evolving suspense, evoking a real sense of place and childhood.

Galbraith, Robert The Silkworm Cormoran Strike #2 finished 7/21/2014 Audio Rank 9.5 of 10 Even better than the first Cormoran Strike book, The Silkworm follows a missing person case handled by the hero of the Lulu Landry case in Cuckoo's Calling. Cormoran is ex Army Special Investigations, estranged son of famous rocker Johnny Rokeby, and a combat veteran injured in Afghanistan. The narration was terrific by Robert Glenister and I am ready right now for the next book. The literary characters and references in The Silkworm were delightful, the characters quirky and the plot deviously defined. Leonora Quine reports her missing person husband Owen not to the police, but to Strike and the case of the missing author becomes much more to Strike, a P.I. with a heart of gold in a pugilist street fighter's body.

King, Lily Euphoria finished 7/25/2014 Audio rank 9.75 of 10 Nell Stone describes Euphoria as a brief, pure moment about two months into a study when you've finally got a handle on the place. Euphoria could also describe how this book made me feel. I knew as soon as I read the first few sentences that I was enthralled by the characters, by their background, the era, the science and the humanity of their work. The audio narration is stellar, told in the alternating voices of Nell Stone and Andrew Bankson, their studies of New Guinea tribes and discussions of their lives, dreams and beliefs are fascinating. Knowing that the back story of the characters is based on the real life of anthropologist Margaret Meade adds to the allure of this fictionalized story.

Sandford, John Field of Prey Lucas Davenport #24 finished 7/27/2014 Audio rank 9 of 10 Quite a fast paced ending, strong characters, the story stands alone while advancing the series. Lucas and the regular characters shine at what they do best, solving HORRIFIC (not honorific, LOL) crimes under pressure. Bring on the next one

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I guess we won;t be accusing Slaughter of mellowing as she ages.
for "Prey", did your spell check give you "honorific"?

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Solid month, Ann.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Good catch, Barry! Well, I guess it did turn horrific into something else entirely. Spell check is the funniest thing sometimes!
as for Karin Slaughter, mellowing is not looking likely!

Barry wrote: "I guess we won;t be accusing Slaughter of mellowing as she ages.
for "Prey", did your spell check give you "honorific"?"

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments Nice month of reading. The short story from Joe Hill looks good. Luckily I checked my library and there are four of his short stories, including that one, available for download.

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments My library has 39 holds on Euphoria by Lily King. I am now hold number 40. I guess I'll have to wait a while to read it.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I've got CUCKOO'S CALLING on my Kindle. Maybe when I get it read, one of these days, I'll be able to get to the 2nd one! (Good month!)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Melodie: I think you will like Cuckoo's Calling, and Cormoran Strike!

I am looking forward to the other Joe Hill short stories too, Sandi, my library also has a couple more for download. That format has really made it easy to enjoy short stories in between longer fare.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments I enjoyed Euphoria, Shomeret. It was one of those books that has stuck with me and opened up my imagination. I have always been fascinated with late nineteenth and early twentieth century events and people living then. The anthropology aspect of the book was "right down my alley", as the saying goes.
Probably an odd reason, but my fascination partly comes from wondering all my life about what it was like one hundred years before my time, the parallels and differences are intriguing.

Shomeret wrote: "My library has 39 holds on Euphoria by Lily King. I am now hold number 40. I guess I'll have to wait a while to read it."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice month! I have some of Sanford's books. I have to check out Field of Prey.

message 11: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Good list!

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Great list Ann! I definitely have to get the Galbraith book since I enjoyed the first one!

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3544 comments as always a good month. I still trying to get though cop town but now with reading think of a number. cop town is off to the side. it seems the further behind I get the slower I'm going and I really need to up the pace for the book reading contest. it's the 5th and I haven't finished anything this month yet. why am I online and not reading, why did I go out today and not stay home and read. tomorrow first thing in the morning after exerice I'm going to do some book weeding out to bring more books down the shore for brenda's mil (grandma)

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:33AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Ann, you and I are neck-in-neck with the book count; I also am at 38 through the end of July. I would not have nearly that number read if I didn't do audiobooks, I think the majority are audio.

We are also reading some of the same books, thanks to our monthly group reads. Now that I have finished Think of a Number I hope to start the print copy of The Silkworm.

You and I both had good months!

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Audio books do it for me too, Carol. Great minds think alike! I expect you will love The Silkworm.
Thirty-four of my now thirty-nine books read were on audio. To be fair, several of those were books I partially read in print, mostly on Kindle and audio by whispersync.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, you and I are neck-in-neck with the book count; I also am at 38 through the end of July. I would not have nearly that number read if I didn't do audiobooks, I think the majority are audio.
."

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments I am finding it more and more helpful to also have a print copy available, especially if it's a mystery and certainly if I am summarizing for our group reads. I now routine request the audio and the print when I reserve those books through the library.

Ann wrote: "Thirty-four of my now thirty-nine books read were on audio. To be fair, several of those were books I partially read in print, mostly on Kindle and audio by whispersync...."