Challenge Corner discussion

Animal Farm
This topic is about Animal Farm
Let's Buddy! - Classics/Lit > Animal Farm by George Orwell -> Restarting November 5th, 2020

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod
As ferociously fresh as it was more than a half century ago, this remarkable allegory of a downtrodden society of overworked, mistreated animals, and their quest to create a paradise of progress, justice, and equality is one of the most scathing satires ever published. As we witness the rise and bloody fall of the revolutionary animals, we begin to recognize the seeds of totalitarianism in the most idealistic organization; and in our most charismatic leaders, the souls of our cruelest oppressors.

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Excited to pick up this book and read it again. I am quite sure it will have more to offer now than when I was in highschool lol

Caroline | 2101 comments I'm excited too! I never read it in high school, so it will be the first time for me :)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Just started today, on chapter 2. It is bringing back the memories of my first time reading it. I did find it a little confusing as all the characters are introduced quickly at once.

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapters I-II
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapters III-IV
(view spoiler)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Chapters 3-4

(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Yeah, it does kind of feel like fantasy with the talking animals!

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapters V-VI
(view spoiler)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments (view spoiler)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments We are reading at the same pace it seems lol

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapters VII-VIII
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments @Erica (view spoiler)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Chapter 9-10
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapters IX-X
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Appendices
(view spoiler)

Nicole (nicolemeier111) | 1605 comments I read this in high school but am going to re-read starting today since I will probably view the book a little different then I did 10 years ago :)

Nicole (nicolemeier111) | 1605 comments Chapter 7-10:(view spoiler)

Nicole (nicolemeier111) | 1605 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments Chapters I-II
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments @Marissa
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Marissa (last edited Jul 23, 2018 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marissa | 1113 comments Marissa wrote: "Chapters I-II
[spoilers removed]"

I had assumed that is what happened. All the animals went to the field except the pig, Napoleon, who said, "I shall follow in a few minutes," and then the milk mysteriously disappears. I honestly don't trust any of the pigs.

Chapters III-IV
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Marissa (last edited Jul 23, 2018 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marissa | 1113 comments Chapters V-VI
(view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments Chapters VII-VIII
(view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments Chapters IX-X
(view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3444 comments Erica wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

That is so true! I think that's why I love this book so much. It really shows what happens when power corrupts!!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3444 comments Marissa wrote: "Chapters V-VI
[spoilers removed]"

Yes this is when something really starts to happen. (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3444 comments I read this book again and I still love it. Each time I read or listen to this story I get more from each character. It's just so shattering how history repeats itself in this little allegory.

I've read this book so many times and I love it more each time I read it. Poor Snowball being accused of so many crimes, when he was really the only good pig of the lot. And Squeeler, what a scoundrel. I love poor old devoted Boxer the horse, and his ending was really tragic. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend you do!!

message 31: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Jul 23, 2019 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3444 comments Cristina wrote: "Chapter IX:

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 63659 comments Mod
RESTARTING NOVEMBER 5TH, 2020

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Oops, I'm late. @Devika, you there?? I'll be starting 5-6 chapters today, as I might not be available tomorrow :)

◐Devika (lildev) Aarja wrote: "Oops, I'm late. @Devika, you there?? I'll be starting 5-6 chapters today, as I might not be available tomorrow :)"

Yes, I'm here. I haven't started reading it too. So I'll finish reading 5-6 chapters by tomorrow and maybe read the rest day after tomorrow. We have our buddy-read of 1984 day after tomorrow! Maybe we'll have to postpone it and read it after Animal Farm is over.

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Devika wrote: "Aarja wrote: "Oops, I'm late. @Devika, you there?? I'll be starting 5-6 chapters today, as I might not be available tomorrow :)"

Yes, I'm here. I haven't started reading it too. So I'll finish rea..."

Hmm. Maybe we can finish it by today, if you like??

◐Devika (lildev) Aarja wrote: "Devika wrote: "Aarja wrote: "Oops, I'm late. @Devika, you there?? I'll be starting 5-6 chapters today, as I might not be available tomorrow :)"

Yes, I'm here. I haven't started reading it too. So ..."

I don't know if I can do it. Maybe you can finish it today. And if I cannot finish it today, I'll finish it tomorrow. Is that okay? You can read as much as you want. I'll just catch up by tomorrow.

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Devika wrote: "Aarja wrote: "Devika wrote: "Aarja wrote: "Oops, I'm late. @Devika, you there?? I'll be starting 5-6 chapters today, as I might not be available tomorrow :)"

Yes, I'm here. I haven't started readi..."

It's okay, you can finish it tomorrow. I can still discuss it w/ you :)

◐Devika (lildev) Thoughts before reading(no spoilers, I think;just wrote like this to save space)(view spoiler)

◐Devika (lildev) Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

LOL I know that you won't read all this Aarja, but its still here for all those who want to read about what was going on in my mind while reading this book.

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Oh. I commented, but it got deleted (gr and bugs, y'know).
I'll let you know in some time, I'm in class rn.
Also, I'm on 40% :)

◐Devika (lildev) Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

◐Devika (lildev) Chapter 3(view spoiler)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments (view spoiler)

◐Devika (lildev) Chapter 5(view spoiler)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments (view spoiler)
Also, thanks so much for the link of the video. It really helped me :)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Devika? Did you finish it? Sorry I wasn't able to read the last 2 days. I finished it today. Here are my final thoughts:
Chapter 1-2: (view spoiler)
Chapter 5: (view spoiler)
Chapter 7: (view spoiler)
Finished: (view spoiler)

Lemme know when you finish it and we will start 1984 :)

◐Devika (lildev) Finished!(view spoiler)