Renegades (Renegades, #1)
This topic is about Renegades
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Renegades [July 8, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Renegades

Beste | 1163 comments I will be late but definitely in.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

My book came due much sooner than expected so I have to start on the 5th.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through chapter 2

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm a quarter of the way done. This started slowly but has drawn me in. It's definitely on par with the Reckoners in being more middle school level than YA. I think based off the prologue I know the catch right from the start.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I've only just read the first 3 pages but I'm hooked, this world sounds seriously cool. When I read the blurb I instantly had vibes of Zeroes by Scott Westerfield but I think this could be quite different.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 07, 2018 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlie wrote: "I've only just read the first 3 pages but I'm hooked, this world sounds seriously cool. When I read the blurb I instantly had vibes of Zeroes by Scott Westerfield but I think this could be quite di..."

So far I've found it to be The Reckoners meets West Side Story. I haven't read Zeroes.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "Through chapter 2

I know it's YA but the story is a bit childish. It feels like she really fl..."

Just finished chapter two, I think it's really fun so far. Definitely very YA but not necessarily in a bad way. I'm a little confused with all the different names and powers so I like the guide at the start of the book.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 07, 2018 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter two, I think it's really fun so far. Definitely very YA but not necessarily in a bad way. I'm a little confused with all the different names and powers so I like the guide at the start of the book.."

I'm doing audio so no guide. I wish I had one. Things seemed to be centering on two characters so those are the ones I've been paying the most attention to. It's been up and down so far. I don't hate it but I'm not in love with it either.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is worth bookmarking. You can flip between anarchists and renegades. Thanks for the heads-up or I wouldn't have searched for this.

http://renegades.universeofmarissamey...

Katie K | 2263 comments I’m joining you guys in this fun buddy reads 😁 I have to say I love it so far. The concept of heroes and villains had always been intriguing for me. And with the character of Nova it seems like the lines may be blurred. I’m interested to read more and see where the story goes. As you mentioned the naming can be a big tough sometimes. Luckily this author has a guide in the beginning which makes for an easy reference.

And Nova is a great female lead so far. Backing up her powerful mind powers with her aptitude for technology and gadgets. (I’m just past the initial parade chapter so we shall see where things go next) ^_^

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Katie wrote: "I’m joining you guys in this fun buddy reads 😁 I have to say I love it so far. The concept of heroes and villains had always been intriguing for me. And with the character of Nova it seems like the..."

I hope you like it Katie, I'm really enjoying it so far, it reminds me of The Incredibles!

Scott wrote: "This is worth bookmarking. You can flip between anarchists and renegades. Thanks for the heads-up or I wouldn't have searched for this.

http://renegades.universeofmarissamey..."

This is great, thanks :)

Just finished chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm halfway done. This has become very enjoyable. I definitely think the beginning was a little slow and confusing but since it's really rounded into form.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "I'm halfway done. This has become very enjoyable. I definitely think the beginning was a little slow and confusing but since it's really rounded into form."

So glad it's gotten better for you, I'm really looking forward to reading more this week.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just finished chapter 6. I really like the idea of (view spoiler)I hope this happens!

I'm also curious about the boy (view spoiler)

Katie K | 2263 comments Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 6. I really like the idea of [spoilers removed]I hope this happens!

I'm also curious about the boy [spoilers removed]"

Right? I hope that they follow Leroy’s plan as well. That would make matters really interesting. As for the boy, he’s really intriguing as well. (view spoiler)

Chapter 7 brings up some interesting questions. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through chapter 35

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Katie wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 6. I really like the idea of [spoilers removed]I hope this happens!

I'm also curious about the boy [spoilers removed]"

Right? I hope that they follow Leroy’s..."

I love a good mystery! I think (hope) this book's a standalone so hopefully it'll all be explained soon.

I've just finished chapter 12 (i'm 28% of the way through) and it's just about to get really exciting (I hope!) (view spoiler)

As the story goes on I really like both Nova and Adrian, I'm rooting for them both, which hopefully won't end badly.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just finished chapter 15, the trials were super fun!

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm done. Pretty good minus the start and a few other minor items.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "I'm done. Pretty good minus the start and a few other minor items."

Glad you liked it :) I'm really enjoying it so far. It's no Mistborn (which is what I'm comparing everything to lately) but it's a fun, easy read. I'll go back and read tour spoiler when I get closer to the end.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

The ending was really good and left us in a good spot for book 2. I'm definitely up that come November.

I liked Mistborn era 1. Era two although I found Wayne very funny I didn't like it as much. With Sanderson, for me, there's Stormlight Archive and then there's everything else.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Oh I was really hoping this was a standalone. I'm got so many series on the go, that's partly why I read this book. I feel like by the time I get to book two, probably next year, I'll have completely forgot what book 1 was about.

I adored Mistborn era 1, started the first era 2 book when it came out and I didn't like it nearly as much so I scent continued. As for stormlight archive, I started book 1 about 2 years ago and gave up half way through. Im definitely going to try again because I love Sanderson's other stuff and I know everyone raves about how great it is. I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with the story and nothing had really happened even after 500 pages.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlie wrote: "235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "Charlie wrote: "235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah I thought that too. It's all very bright and shiny in the Renegades. It seems more like a university dorm than a government headquarters.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments At page 243, now I'm really curious about (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "Through chapter 35

[spoilers removed]"

Finished chapter 35 last night. I thought that scene was awful too, it seriously made me cringe. I have a variety of theories at this point:

(view spoiler)

Im probably way off but really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

message 29: by Katie (last edited Jul 12, 2018 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie K | 2263 comments Charlie wrote: "Scott wrote: "Charlie wrote: "235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah I thought that too. It's all very bright and shiny in th..."

I totally agree with you both about the lack of security. I don't know if Adrian thinks he has the run of the place because of his parentage or what? But he did still keep the secret about the boy...so who knows. (view spoiler)

When the group is finally given their first mission we get a glimpse at their origin stories. I personally loved this bit. Digging further into each character and why they are who they are. (view spoiler)

Side note - you guys have mentioned the "Mistborn" series. I've seen a lot of people reading Brandon Sanderson books recently. I was looking to check them out, but I see there are quite a few series. Any pointers and where to start? Does it matter?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Katie wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Scott wrote: "Charlie wrote: "235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah I thought that too. It's all very bright..."

I really loved the origin stories too Katie. It makes them all a bit more human. I definitely think they should have figured out who Nova is by now. She constantly acts suspicious.

Id start with Mistborn, its an excellnt trilogy, full of action, magic and intrigue. Its not as long as The Stormlight Archives and it's well paced. Warbreaker and Elantris are great fantasy Standalones (for now) but not as great as Mistborn. Id start with that and if you like Sandersons writing, then tackle Stormlight Archives.

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Katie wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Scott wrote: "Charlie wrote: "235 pages in. I'm starting to think these kids are a bit dense. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah I thought that too. It's a..."

I have to disagree. I read Mistborn first and Elantris later, and I believe Elantris should be read first.
Why?
Because although Elantris is beautifully written, Mistborn is better than Elantris.Elantris is his first work too. If I hadn't read any, I'd go:
1. Elantris
2. Mistborn first era
3. Way of Kings
4. Words of Radiance
5. Warbreaker
6. Mistborn second era
7. Oathbringer

Beste | 1163 comments Alsoooooo, about Renegades;
I started last night. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Charlie (last edited Jul 13, 2018 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Beste wrote: "Alsoooooo, about Renegades;
I started last night. [spoilers removed]"

Yay, welcome! I think (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Also I finished chapter 36, I have a new theory: (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "Alsoooooo, about Renegades;

Yay, welcome! I think The shooter is probably just a random bad guy. Or he may have been hired by Ace since his..."

hmmmm. your theory is more reliable that (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "Alsoooooo, about Renegades;

Yay, welcome! I think The shooter is probably just a random bad guy. Or he may have been hired b..."

That's a good point actually. Ace doesn't seem like a coward, he'd likely do it himself if it's what he wanted.

Katie K | 2263 comments I was finally able to finish the book late last night. And what a roller coaster of events that was.

End of book spoilers
(view spoiler)

Review
In the end I think I'd rate this book 3/5 stars. The pacing was what frustrated me the most. Lots of slow bits like you all mentioned. And there wasn't really a huge climax or anything, moreso just a lot of building suspense with Nova's journey. The characters themselves are great besides the fact that they seem to overlook the obvious at times. I suppose I let it slide a bit because they still are kids. Overall it was a fun tale with powers and I'll make sure to check out the next book sometime soon :)

Katie K | 2263 comments Charlie wrote: "Scott wrote: "Through chapter 35

[spoilers removed]"

Finished chapter 35 last night. I thought that scene was awful too, it seriously made me cringe. I have a variety of theories at this point:

..."

I really liked your theories about the family connections Charlie. I think there must be something there as well. And what you noted about Max's powers makes a lot of sense. (view spoiler)

Also, thank you for the tips on reading the mistborn series! I appreciate it! I think I'll check out the Mistborn one first like you mentioned and go from there :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm finished! Wow what an ending!! I really didn't see that coming! I gave it 4.5 stars due to pure enjoyment factor but it did have a few problems. I'm looking forward to book 2, hopefully it'll give us some answers. I think (view spoiler)

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste wrote: "1. Elantris
2. Mistborn first era
3. Way of Kings
4. Words of Radiance
5. Warbreaker
6. Mistborn second era
7. Oathbringer ."

And I'd go

1. WoR
2. TWoK
3. OB
4. Mistborn Era 1
5. Warbreaker
6. Elantris
7. Mistborn Era 2

IMO the most underrated of BS's works is the other book from the Elantris world The Emperor's Soul. I'd put it above MB Era 1. Such a subtle book like Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham.

Difference of opinion make it all fun.

Katie K | 2263 comments Thanks Scott! I love the feedback! Can’t wait to check out the books 😁

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm finished! Wow what an ending!! I really didn't see that coming! I gave it 4.5 stars due to pure enjoyment factor but it did have a few problems. I'm looking forward to book 2, hopefully it'll g..."

Same here!!!! Wowww!
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Beste wrote:

I'm not sure if (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote:

(view spoiler)

Katie K | 2263 comments Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote:

Betrayal is not enough to describe this. At least she has some decency to reject the kiss. Poor boy.
But it shouldn't take long for Max to put his father to sl..."

Right? haha
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Beste (last edited Jul 17, 2018 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beste | 1163 comments Gosh.. Too many secrets, everything is tied and tangled. Meyer is really getting better at this.
Edit: I've finished Lunar Chronicles last month so...

message 47: by Charlie (last edited Jul 17, 2018 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I think (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "..."

And that may be the reason of the rejection ... :(

Katie K | 2263 comments Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "..."

And that may be the reason of the rejection ... :("

Most definitely >_<

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I just want them to be together and live in a happy little bubble! Why can't everyone just get along!?

« previous 1