SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Doll's Twin
What Else Are You Reading? > Series: Tamír Triad by Lynn Flewelling ("The Bone Doll's Twin")

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 13, 2019 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
This is set to start on July 9th. I think most are coming over from the Tortall thread? Everyone is welcome, please hide spoilers and mark with book and chapter. Since there may be a significant amount of discussion about this vs. Tortall, please also mark if there are major spoilers for Tortall, in case someone hasn't read all of it yet.

The Bone Doll's Twin
Hidden Warrior
The Oracle's Queen

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

So who's in? Have you read all of Tortall? When can you start?

I have only read the Alanna quartet, but unless it's a majorly spoilery spoiler about something mindblowingly magnificent that I absolutely must experience for myself if I ever do continue, no need to avoid Tortall spoilers on my account. That may not be true for everyone though!

And I started this thread because I already started the book. Oops, sorry!

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 25, 2018 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wasn't aware this was going to be so dark! And already so many nods to the Nightrunner series. But the writing is as it was in Nightrunner, it feels slow but I get sucked right in and want to keep reading. I was only going to read one chapter, then just one more, etc. I don't know why I enjoy her writing so much, but I'm happy to finally be in this world again.

BDT chapters 1-6

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 25, 2018 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've read Nightrunner, and I don't think it matters which you read first. Like I said, I noticed some nods to Nightrunner in the beginning, but everything you need to know is explained. Tamir happens hundreds of years before Nightrunner, and the focus is very different. I obviously haven't finished this series yet, so it's possible there is something that might make you prefer one reading order to another.

Mainly there is one character from Nightrunner who gets a mention in the prologue and first chapter. And also a tiny detail in the first chapter would be familiar if you've read Nightrunner.

I think Travis has read both, maybe he can confirm?

message 5: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm 100% sure it's fine, some people (like me) just might be super strict about always reading things in a certain order :D

message 6: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not loving this as much as Nightrunner yet, but I'm hoping it'll get better as the child protagonist grows up. That doesn't mean I don't like it, just that I don't blindly adore it like when I was reading Luck in the Shadows.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Nicki wrote: "Thanks, Anna! Unless Travis or someone has thoughts otherwise, then, it sounds like it'll be fine for me to just jump in with Tamir. :)"

I totally agree. I read Nightrunner first, but don't think it matters at all which goes first.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "I'm not loving this as much as Nightrunner yet, but I'm hoping it'll get better as the child protagonist grows up. That doesn't mean I don't like it, just that I don't blindly adore it like when I ..."

This one had a bit of a slower burn for me than Nightrunner, but I thought it was all worth it by the end.

message 9: by Travis (last edited Jun 26, 2018 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "I wasn't aware this was going to be so dark! ...BDT chapters 1-6
"

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 26, 2018 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Travis wrote: "This one had a bit of a slower burn for me than Nightrunner, but I thought it was all worth it by the end."

I'm most definitely enjoying it, I was just surprised how different it feels. I'm past halfway already. This always happens to me with her books, I sit down meaning to read one chapter, and hours later I look up and wonder what happened.

This isn't really a spoiler if you know at all what this book is about, but (view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "This isn't really a spoiler if you know at all what this book is about"

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm almost done, but this should be safe to read after chapter 32.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Travis, where did you get the books? I don't see them on ILL.

message 14: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 27, 2018 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

End of BDT.

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Allison wrote: "Travis, where did you get the books? I don't see them on ILL."

I know! So frustrating! I ended up purchasing them used from Amazon. I gave the first one away, but still have the second and third. If you work in Center City, I could get them to you...

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "End of BDT.

[spoilers removed]"

Yes, yes, and yes some more!

message 17: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Travis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Travis, where did you get the books? I don't see them on ILL."

I know! So frustrating! I ended up purchasing them used from Amazon. I gave the first one away, but still have the se..."

Rauuugh!! Okay, I'll see if I want to take the hit to my owned book challenge for the first book haha!

message 18: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

HW, chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 29, 2018 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rambly end of HW thoughts.

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "Rambly end of HW thoughts.
"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished OQ like three minutes ago. I don't know if I can gather my thoughts, but since I'm here already, I'm going to try.

(view spoiler)

And yes, I would love to see more from Flewelling, and specifically in this world! I was thinking as I was reading, that what I still want to know more of is Aurenen, so a book/series set there at any point in time would be welcome. Actually, without going into Nightrunner spoilers, something set in the past that would tie up some of the questions from that series would be fabulous!

message 22: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I gave my brain some time to sleep and here are my end of trilogy feels.

(view spoiler)

re: end of HW

(view spoiler)

Michele | 1206 comments Nicki wrote: "I'll try to join in on these, but can anyone with experience of both series comment on whether it's best to read Nightrunner before or after the Tamir Triad?"

I've never even heard of Nightrunner! The Tamir Triad was the first -- and so far only -- thing I've read by this author. Everything made sense to me and I never felt like anything was missing. So I can at least guarantee that you don't need to read that other one first :)

message 24: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Okay so I'm in BDT through Chapter 10 and (view spoiler)

message 25: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT, (view spoiler)

message 26: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Okay I finished BDT and just (view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments HeyT wrote: "Okay I finished BDT and just [spoilers removed]"

Yes, yes, and yes.

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Also all the yes!

Michele | 1206 comments HeyT wrote: "Okay I finished BDT and just ALL THE FEELS..."

Ha! I know just what you mean :)

message 30: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments I just finished HW and (view spoiler)

message 31: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT, that's exactly how I felt, but I think the final book makes up for it a bit. I still wish there'd been more focus on that in HW.

message 32: by HeyT (last edited Jul 13, 2018 11:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Okay so I read OQ in like one day lol (view spoiler)

message 33: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 14, 2018 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT, haha, I didn't read it quite as fast, but I know why you did! If you do continue on to Nightrunner, be prepared to read the first two together.

edit: I noticed you've already read at least the first three, but I'll leave that in case someone else wants to continue with Nightrunner.

message 34: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Yeah I don't remember too much of the specifics of nightrunner so I'd definitely read them all from the beginning. I forgot to mention my favorite part of OQ which was definitely (view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments HeyT wrote: "Yeah I don't remember too much of the specifics of nightrunner so I'd definitely read them all from the beginning. I forgot to mention my favorite part of OQ which was definitely [spoilers removed]"

Mine too! That was amazing!

Seconding the suggestion that the first two Nightrunners need to be read as a single volume. Together, they are just fantastic.

message 36: by Gabi (last edited Jul 16, 2018 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Just started reading BDT. I easily got into the narration style and the world. Now I'm curious if I remember why I stopped reading the trilogy during my first go. I'll read the above spoilers, when I reach the respective chapters.

Edit: into chapter 6 now. This is wonderfully creepy!

message 37: by Gabi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments I'm into chapter 10 of "The Oracle's Queen". So before I completely lose track of what happened in which book, I try to summarize my impressions so far.

First of all, I'm happy for this buddy read cause I don't think otherwise I would have re-read those novels. As it is, I'm enjoying the books so far. Flewelling's writing is easy to follow, which is always important for me when I read books in another language than my mother tongue. Her characters are believable, yet I don't get too attached to any of them. This way I can enjoy the story without "living in fear" of the death of anybody.

BDT: (view spoiler)

HW: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Bree (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments Gah. Being in Australia SUCKS.
I got Bone Doll’s Twin and devoured it, but the other 2 aren’t available as Kindle books here.
And as for finding them in the local libraries, yeah. They aren’t there.
Sigh.

message 39: by Gabi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Bree wrote: "Gah. Being in Australia SUCKS.
I got Bone Doll’s Twin and devoured it, but the other 2 aren’t available as Kindle books here.
And as for finding them in the local libraries, yeah. They aren’t there..."

Oh no :( - that's really a bummer. How about second-hand internet sites?

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Tangent because this thread grew out of the Tamora Pierce buddy reads: I'm 200 pages into The Poppy War and getting very strong Alanna meets Kvothe meets grimdark vibes.

message 41: by Gabi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments OQ (middle of the book)
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi wrote: "Finished the Tamir Triad by Flewelling Lynn. I very much enjoyed the dark, grim atmosphere of the first book, but was a bit disappointed with the third, when the story became quite standard medieval fantasy."

Yes, I felt the same! It started out so strong, and then it gradually turned into every other fantasy trilogy. I still liked it, but it lost the edge of the first book.

(Gabi's post is from What else are you reading)

message 43: by Gabi (last edited Jul 22, 2018 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Oh, sorry, Anna. I didn't mean to hassle you by copying my post. I'm only now on my PC, where I write longer texts (tablet, five left thumbs and a German autocorrection drives me completely crazy).

So here is my final impression on OQ:
(view spoiler)

Now I have to put the Nightrunner series on my TBR list.

message 44: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

You didn't do anything wrong Gabi! I was replying to your post in the other thread, and at the last minute decided to move my reply here instead. I added a link in case someone got confused because they couldn't see your post here.

Michele | 1206 comments Bree wrote: "...the other 2 aren’t available as Kindle books here."

Here are a few used copies available in Australia:

Hidden Warrior

Oracle's Queen

message 46: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 14, 2019 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Huh! I am reading BDT now and checking out this thread. Spoilers through Ch 14

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Finished BDT

(view spoiler)