The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like simple, childhood poetry and this just describes exactly how I feel at the moment!

message 3: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13634 comments Mod
LOL!!!!
I remember when I had my kids who were little, I used to put them in bed at 9:00 pm, in summer as well as in winter.
Once my brother, at the time without kids himself, when I was putting them to bed, came at my house to introduce me an English friend of his, whi was visiting him with his mother.
Seeing me bringing the kids to bed so early he started pulling my legs in front of his friend and his mother. And she instanly said: I used to put mine to bed at 7:00 pm After that it's "parents time"!!!!
I've loved that woman

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It's hard to go to bed when it's still light! Even with blackout blinds a little bit escapes through the window and it makes me want to be outside

Then when winter comes it's so miserable spending too much time indoors

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12296 comments Mod
Haha, I love this poem, certainly reminds me of my childhood I was a terrible sleeper during the summer months. Even now, I'm struggling to sleep especially with a blackout blind. I remember before I got my blind, we had just moved house in the middle of the summer so the sun would wake me every morning at about 4-5 o'clock.

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments That's a cute poem. It captures the innocence of children and their knack for asking questions which invite an adult response of "because I say so!"

message 7: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 34 comments Nice poem, had me reminiscing of my own childhood of me not wanting to go to bed when the sun was still up.

message 8: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments Thanks Heather. I had just turned off a very upsetting news program when I read the poem. It brought a big smile to my face. I could actually see myself as a young boy looking out the window of my room. You saved the day.

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Tee-Hee,
I was miffed that I had to go to bed before the sun last night, but I was exhausted with no one to blame but myself.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m glad this poem has made people smile!