Beyond Reality discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (last edited Aug 15, 2009 10:31PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I try to see as many SF movies as I can in the theater to encourage studios to make more. I'm usually really disappointed because most are pretty bad. (Remember the new "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?)

Tonight, I saw "District 9" and was very impressed. It was a really impressed. It had a great plot, good acting and was very original. It wasn't anything like I expected.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Flasher Hey Sandi,

I saw it as well and was pretty impressed. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but that wasn't a bad thing. I was surprised at how much of a 'human story' it was. That is to say that if you took out the aliens and put in some minority group, the movie would still largely make sense.

SPOILER: I am also surprised at how blatantly it didn't answer some questions and set itself up for a second movie.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Thanks for posting this. I always feel better when people who actuall read SF or fantasy review the genre as opposed to general reviewers. I want it see it and Ponyo.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Joe, I was surprised at how it didn't answer some very basic questions too. For example, we never learn why the aliens came in the first place. All we get is speculation. I was actually impressed by that aspect because that's the way it would be in real life. There wouldn't be some professor somewhere who could come up with all the answers.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Flasher Sandi wrote: "Joe, I was surprised at how it didn't answer some very basic questions too. For example, we never learn why the aliens came in the first place. All we get is speculation. I was actually impresse..."

Yeah, true enough. But after 20 years, you'd think we'd know something. But maybe that was part of the point. Maybe we never really tried to get to know them. ;)

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'm really excited to see District 9. Being producedy by Peter Jackson made it stand out to my attention, otherwise I might have just dismissed it as yet another over the top, plotless summer flick. Now I've read some critical reviews (very favourable!) and read your comments here!

Hey Chris, my whole family wants to see Ponyo, it's a must for us as we own every single Hayao Miyazaki movie. He is well loved in our household. :)

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I have most of his movies, Sisimka. I didn't really like Howl's Moving Castle. But Spirited Away and Monoke are in "my can't live without them" list. Along with LOTR.

BTW District took the North American Box Office, surprising people.

message 8: by Jon (last edited Aug 17, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments My favorite Miyazaki movie is Nausicaa and I recently scored the English translation of the manga via BookMooch - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) My favourite Miyazaki is Whisper of the Heart. It is based on a manga that has not been translated into English, so far as I can find. I'd love to read it. I love all his fantasy movies too, we have little Totoro pictures all around the house and I use Jiji as my icon on messenger. :)

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I went to see it the other day and was very impressed. One of the Best Movies this summer, maybe even better than Star Trek (If they would gotten rid of the Hoth planet Trek would have been the best). I digress

Someone mentioned after 20 years we knew nothing. I am not surprised, They way they portrayed the MNU, we didnt want to know. They only thing needed was how to make the weapons.
What I like about the movie, Wikus, a bumbling unlikable guy, we ended up feeling for him in the end.

message 11: by Sandi (last edited Aug 21, 2009 07:20AM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Ken, did Vikus remind you of Borat at all?

message 12: by Ken (last edited Aug 22, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Not really, mind you I only made it through maybe 10 mins of Borat. Sure, Wikus idiotocy was a bit over the top at the beginning but evebtually he became a real person

message 13: by Sid (new)

Sid (sidr) | 8 comments Most of the characters are over the top, especially the villains like the Colonel. There isn't a sympathetic character in the movie and that's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it. Other reason: the documentary style of narrative. It would have been a better story told in the traditional manner.

message 14: by David (new)

David | 1 comments I really liked this film quite refreshing to see some thing different, as to likable characters i got to like the little prawn, the one helping to get them away....

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Got to see this one on Friday night and I liked it quite a bit! For a first film, it's an outstanding effort.

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments I have to say I also loved the movie. It was surprisingly better then I expected. I actually felt great sympathy for the main char as well as the entire alien population.

message 17: by Jacinda (new)

Jacinda (alynnakasmira) | 15 comments I really liked the film. I actually thought the documentary style worked really well. It made things seem more real and less like a neatly packaged story.
I was also suprised that we didn't know anything about how the aliens ended up here. You'd think we would have asked, at least at first...

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'm sure the question was asked, but I got the idea that for the most part the aliens were not all that intelligent, that they relied upon a 'leader' to move as a cohesive unit. With that leader hiding in the shadows, perhaps they didn't have an answer, or simply didn't know? Just followin' orders... :)

I also liked the documentary style, it allowed us to learn a lot more about the preceeding two decades than would have been available in a regular style of film.

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Sid wrote: "Most of the characters are over the top, especially the villains like the Colonel."
The Colonel was exactly what he was supposed to be, A bloodthirsty mercenary.
I really liked Wickus, He was a carcature when we first met him, once he was exposed he started to be more real and human, and his evolution felt real

message 20: by Sid (new)

Sid (sidr) | 8 comments Ken wrote: "Sid wrote: "Most of the characters are over the top, especially the villains like the Colonel."
The Colonel was exactly what he was supposed to be, A bloodthirsty mercenary.
I really liked Wickus,..."

exactly what he was supposed to be: i.e. a cardboard thin caricature, a straw man, no credibility whatsoever. and Wickus is very close in terms of realism and credibilty. I didn't feel anything real about his evolution; he is formula for the director's thesis about racism.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I saw finally got to see Ponyo last night, what a cute, cute film. Not my favourite Miyazaki, but it's a solid entry and just such a delight to see it on the big screen.