Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Group Reads > Group read July 2018 - Purgatory by Rosetta Allan

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
This thread is for people to comment if they're going to join in the group read and then feedback their thoughts on the book.

Please no spoilers :)

message 2: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
It looks like Gizzy library doesn’t have a copy... happy reading everyone. Let me know what it’s like & I’ll see about adding it to my huge pile of TBRs!

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1001 comments Mod
Sharlene wrote: "It looks like Gizzy library doesn’t have a copy... happy reading everyone. Let me know what it’s like & I’ll see about adding it to my huge pile of TBRs!"

I have to request from another library in my area - but they are usually pretty prompt. :)

I started last night. Very odd & unusual so far. (this is not necessarily a bad thing. :) )

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
I keep going to the library and completely forgetting to pick it up! Maybe tonight.

This is a very good, intriguing read. & I say that as a reader who normally hates flashbacks & multiple points of view.

Finished and I loved it! Such a strong debut novel.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Even more looking forward to this one now Carol!

message 9: by Lidy (new)

Lidy Schouw | 4 comments Unfortunately can't find an e-version of this book anywhere 😩

message 10: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (bronwynelsmore) | 70 comments Hello Lidy, Amazon has it for Kindle - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC7HCIO/
I decided not to buy it because it is $8.31
I buy a lot of ebooks but set a limit at what I will pay. Publishers usually charge far too much, and I notice that many NZ authors put theirs too high. Amazon says the median price for consumers is US$2.99 (they add a bit when you buy from here). I keep my fiction books priced low - I think it's better to get more readers. Cheers.

message 11: by Lidy (new)

Lidy Schouw | 4 comments Thanks Bronwyn, I searched for it again, now that I know it's definitely there (thanks for the link), and it doesn't show up till page 5 (!) in the search results. I get so annoyed with Amazon when they show you all sorts of things first that make you wonder what they have to do with what you searched for :) I wish our local e-library would carry more titles by NZ authors.

I bought it and look forward to reading it.

message 12: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (bronwynelsmore) | 70 comments Authors won't make their titles available to libraries while the govt agency that handles the Authors Fund continues to refuse to recompense them fairly. We get allowance for paper books but nothing for ebooks. We have been fighting this for years and are still waiting!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Bell (goodeadscomlisatoddunbell) | 4 comments I read Purgatory and loved it! Look forward to discussing at the end of the month when everyone has read it.

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Awesome to hear Lisa! I might pop into my library this avo and pick up a copy

message 15: by Barney (new)

Barney Green (barney_green) Just finished reading it. Very different and very interesting!

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
So great to see people joining in :) I'm off to Queenstown for a long weekend. While my partner skis I'll be reading this. Can't wait

message 17: by Lidy (new)

Lidy Schouw | 4 comments Finished it and can't quite make up my mind if I liked it or not . Liked parts of it but certainly not all of it 🤔

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
I'm just one chapter in and it's reminding me of The Lovely Bones novel and he movie Ghost with Demi Moore haha. Enjoying the writing.

Erica wrote: "I'm just one chapter in and it's reminding me of The Lovely Bones novel and he movie Ghost with Demi Moore haha. Enjoying the writing."

Yes, I think one of the reasons I enjoyed so much was that I haven't read The Lovely Bones, so for me it was a fresh & original approach.

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Over halfway now. For some reason I'd forgotten it was split timeframe. I kinda wish there was a bit more of the purgatory part. But finding it an easy read

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 137 comments A bit later than the rest of you, but I've just finished. Loved the dual storyline and the back story of James. Rosetta Allan did a wonderful job of capturing and describing what life was like during these times. James wasn't a 'nice' guy, but I did find myself feeling sympathetic towards him at different points throughout the book.

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Angie wrote: "A bit later than the rest of you, but I've just finished. Loved the dual storyline and the back story of James. Rosetta Allan did a wonderful job of capturing and describing what life was like duri..."

Great that you got a chance to read it :) Looking forward to seeing what Rosetta Allan puts out next.