Black Girls Read! discussion

black sci-fi and fantasy fans?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiereadsalot) | 1 comments I fell in love with Octavia Butler this year, and just worked my way through the Binti Series and now I’ve just started Akata Witch. Anyone else loving these genres? I surprised myself. Would love any reccos.

message 2: by Watch (new)

Watch Books | 6 comments I love fantasy and sci-fi , but I cant honestly say I have read and good black books of this genre. I'm always on the lookout for black books, but anytime its in this genre it always seems to be witchcraft, or dark magic ect, which I'm not into. I would love to find a black sci-fi/fantasy book that is set in a modern world or entirely created reality, not based off an already existing place or specific culture.

message 3: by Anika (new)

Anika (thediaryofanika) | 1 comments Loved Kindred

message 4: by D.T. (new)

D.T. Henderson | 21 comments Zahrah the Windseeker (another one by Nnedi Okorafor; but this one is geared more towards kids).

The Blazing Star by Imani Josey

message 5: by D.T. (new)

D.T. Henderson | 21 comments New recommendations:

Song of Blood & Stone by L. Penelope

Temper by Nicky Drayden *have not read yet

A Blade so Black by L.L McKinney *have not read yet

Afar by del Duca Leila (graphic novel; highly recommend)

Cold Steel by Kate Elliot (despite the whitewashed cover, majority of characters are black or mixed race; it reads like the average YA fiction)

*Magic Under the Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore (maybe?; the main character is described as having dark brown skin in a lighter-skinned fictional country)

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1 comments NK Jemison has written a Hugo award winning trilogy Called the Broken Earth. Book number 2 is called the Fifth season. Jemison is blk American and lives in Brooklyn. She also has written several other SF/Fantasy novels. I read a lot of SF and she is really amongst the top 5 SF/Fantasy writers active today. I have no problem with Binti, but it is YA and thus a not as complex as what Jemison writes.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon

message 8: by Makiya (new)

Makiya Walker (kikiluv001) | 3 comments I'd suggest Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It isn't set in modern times, but there are magical elements and nods to the Ancestors. It was really well written as well. Octavia Butler is my all-time favorite author, so I think you may enjoy! :-)