Theatre Books and Plays discussion

Favorite Shakespearean Play

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Out of curiosity, what is your favorite play by William Shakespeare, and why?

message 2: by Graham (new)

Graham Sessions | 7 comments Henry V or Hamlet probably.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasona-f) | 21 comments Winter's Tale

message 4: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Graham wrote: "Henry V or Hamlet probably."
Why are these your choices?

message 5: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "Winter's Tale"
Why is that your choice?

message 6: by Graham (new)

Graham Sessions | 7 comments Difficult to explain but I think that I like the themes and several of the speeches as well as the drama of them.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark André I like Hamlet for the writing.
I like Lear for the story.
I like MSND for the fun.

message 8: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "I like Hamlet for the writing.
I like MSND for the fun."

All great choices! I would have loved to see Glenda Jackson in Lear.

message 9: by Mark (last edited Jun 25, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Mark André Kenny wrote: "Mark wrote: "I like Hamlet for the writing.
I like MSND for the fun."

All great choices! I would have loved to see Glenda Jackson in Lear."

Thank you! Have you seen Kurosawa's adaptation RAN?

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasona-f) | 21 comments Kenny wrote: "Jason wrote: "Winter's Tale"
Why is that your choice?"

I find it extremely moving, and the language gorgeous!

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian (bdwilfong) | 11 comments "Winter'S Tale" is a beautiful piece Jason.

I would say my favorite is "King Lear". That text has everything, and Cordelia's forgiveness of her father, "No cause", slays me every time.

Having said that, "The Tempest" has my favorite exchange in all of Shakespeare. Act 5:1. "Mine would, sir, were I human."

message 12: by Nat (new)

Nat K (natnoir) "Macbeth" & "King Lear" for me.

message 13: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "Kenny wrote: "Jason wrote: "Winter's Tale"
I find it extremely moving, and the language gorgeous!"

I will have to revisit Winter's Tale this year!

message 14: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "I would say my favorite is "King Lear". That text has everything, and Cordelia's forgiveness of her father, "No cause", slays me every time.

Having said that, "The Tempest" has my favorite exchange in all of Shakespeare. Act 5:1. "Mine would, sir, were I human."

THE TEMPEST is my absolute favorite. And LEAR is so good.

message 15: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Nat wrote: ""Macbeth" & "King Lear" for me."

I love both. Have you seen Polanski's film of MACBETH? It was one of the first Shakespearean films I ever saw as a kid.

message 16: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 5 comments It would be much easier to tell you the ones I didn't like. I think the only Shakespeare play that I didn't really like was King John..... it wasn't as well written and the themes tend to be everywhere. But then again I understand why it's like this..... so in that respect I am able to forgive how it's written. Other thank that I like all the rest and I've been in a few of them....

message 17: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Priscilla wrote: "I've been in a few of them..."

What plays and roles have you played?

message 18: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 5 comments I've been in Midsummer Night's Dream: Moth, Hamlet: Ophelia, Romeo and Juliet: Juliet (These were all the same time), Midsummer Night's Dream (again): Titania, Macbeth: Hecate, Taming of the Shrew: Kate, Antony and Cleopatra: Cleopatra, King Lear: Cordelia to name a few....

message 19: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Priscilla wrote: "I've been in Midsummer Night's Dream: Moth, Hamlet: Ophelia, Romeo and Juliet: Juliet (These were all the same time), Midsummer Night's Dream (again): Titania, Macbeth: Hecate, Taming of the Shrew:..."

You're quite an accomplished actress! Which was your favorite role and why?

message 20: by Priscilla (last edited Jun 25, 2018 11:08PM) (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 5 comments Thank you. Part of it is because I can fluently speak the language when so many can't and I had been reading Shakespeare at a young age... I'm not sure what my favorite has been because I enjoyed them all. I think I had the most fun when I did Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, and Romeo and Juliet. I got to be Moth, the youngest fairy who was the pride of Titania among the fairies, then turn around and play a tragic lover...... only in the next breath be a crazy woman. All three plays in separate places yet intertwine with each other. It was so much fun.

message 21: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Priscilla wrote: "I think I had the most fun when I did Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, and Romeo and Juliet. I got to be Moth, the youngest fairy who was the pride of Titania among the fairies, then turn around and play a tragic lover...... only in the next breath be a crazy woman. All three plays in separate places yet intertwine with each other. It was so much fun."

Thank you for sharing that.

message 22: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 5 comments You're welcome. It's not often I get to talk about it. There aren't many who love Shakespeare as much as I do. It makes me sad that people think because he lacked in education that he couldn't write the way he does when I have no doubt in his work but when they say he stole his works. Which is clearly not true. It you know anything about the time period or the theatres then you would know that all of them willingly shared their work with each other. I mean after they finished their shows for the night, they all went out together to the tavern so that they could share the events of the night... Sorry didn't mean to ramble on....

message 23: by G. (new)

G. Overton | 1 comments Richard III. Richard III is the kind of character everyone loves to hate. He makes Lady Macbeth look like a nice person and Uncle Claudius look like an honorable man. Most of all, I love the opening line. It serves as a lesson to every writer; grab the reader within the first two lines: "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York."

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasona-f) | 21 comments Kenny wrote: "Jason wrote: "Kenny wrote: "Jason wrote: "Winter's Tale"
I find it extremely moving, and the language gorgeous!"

I will have to revisit Winter's Tale this year!"

Pay particular attention to Paulina-she has my favorite monologue!

message 25: by Trevor (new)

Trevor G. wrote: "Richard III. Richard III is the kind of character everyone loves to hate. He makes Lady Macbeth look like a nice person and Uncle Claudius look like an honorable man. Most of all, I love the openin..."

Yes that's my favourite too, have seen it on stage and film with Ian McKellen.

message 26: by Nat (last edited Jun 26, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

Nat K (natnoir) Kenny wrote: "Nat wrote: ""Macbeth" & "King Lear" for me."

I love both. Have you seen Polanski's film of MACBETH? It was one of the first Shakespearean films I ever saw as a kid."

Hi Kenny, I had no idea that Polanski had filmed "Macbeth" (you learn something new every day). To be honest, I don't think I've seen that much Shakespeare on celluloid, only Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" which had Michelle Pfeiffer in it (from memory).

I've been lucky enough to see both "Macbeth" and "King Lear" performed on stage recently, and it's quite uncanny how the themes are still relevant today. Human nature doesn't change much, does it.

message 27: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Priscilla wrote: "It's not often I get to talk about it."

You are welcome to talk about your theatre experience here all you like.

message 28: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
G. wrote: "Richard III. Richard III is the kind of character everyone loves to hate. He makes Lady Macbeth look like a nice person and Uncle Claudius look like an honorable man. Most of all, I love the openin..."

Did you see Cumberbatch's Richard?

message 29: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "Pay particular attention to Paulina-she has my favorite monologue!"

Will do!

message 30: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Trevor wrote: "G. wrote: "Richard III. Richard III is the kind of character everyone loves to hate. He makes Lady Macbeth look like a nice person and Uncle Claudius look like an honorable man. Most of all, I love..."

Excellent choice!

message 31: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Nat wrote: "Hi Kenny, I had no idea that Polanski had filmed "Macbeth" (you learn something new every day). To be honest, I don't think I've seen that much Shakespeare on celluloid, only Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" which had Michelle Pfeiffer in it (from memory).

I've been lucky enough to see both "Macbeth" and "King Lear" performed on stage recently, and it's quite uncanny how the themes are still relevant today. Human nature doesn't change much, does it."

The Pfeffer version you refer to terrible in my opinion. The Globe filmed a version live a few years ago and it is wonderful.

Seek out Polanski's film. It was his first film after Tate's murder, There are images in it that are shocking and the Witches were marvelous.

message 32: by Vinny (new)

Vinny (billypar) | 2 comments All around, I have to go with Hamlet, but I have a soft spot for the first Shakespeare I ever read- Julius Caesar. I love the plot arc and there are so many breathtaking moments. One of my first literary loves, period.
Honorable mention to Macbeth- agreed about the Polanski film version. I got to see Alan Cumming's one man show on Broadway, which was amazing (and I'm not even that big on one man shows overall).

message 33: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 5 comments Kenny wrote: "Priscilla wrote: "It's not often I get to talk about it."

You are welcome to talk about your theatre experience here all you like."

Thank you Love...........

message 34: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Vinny wrote: "All around, I have to go with Hamlet, but I have a soft spot for the first Shakespeare I ever read- Julius Caesar. I love the plot arc and there are so many breathtaking moments. One of my first literary loves, period."

What a great post, Vinny! I think most kids' first exposure to Shakespeare is either Julius Caesar or Romeo and Juliet. Mine was As You Like It. I loved it.

Glad you agree about the Polanski film. I envy you seeing the Cumming.

message 35: by Mark (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Mark André I like the ghost in Hamlet.
I like the fool in Lear.
And I like the 'rude mechanicals' in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

message 36: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "I like the ghost in Hamlet.
I like the fool in Lear.
And I like the 'rude mechanicals' in A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Yes to all three!

message 37: by Mark (new)

Mark André Kenny wrote: "Mark wrote: "I like the ghost in Hamlet.
I like the fool in Lear.
And I like the 'rude mechanicals' in A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Yes to all three!"

Thanks, Kenny! - ) Just thinking out loud.

message 38: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Thanks, Kenny! - ) Just thinking out loud."

I love how you think!

message 39: by Mark (new)

Mark André Kenny wrote: "Mark wrote: "Thanks, Kenny! - ) Just thinking out loud."

I love how you think!"

Thank you, Kenny! - ) Very nice of you to say.

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris Diem | 2 comments I like the Tempest because it combines drama, comedy, romance, and magic all into one play but I’m also probably biased because I’m currently in a production of The Tempest lol. Hamlet is also another favorite because of the complex characters. And A Midsummer Night’s Dream because it is a classic and Puck is one of my favorite characters!

message 41: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 183 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "I like the Tempest because it combines drama, comedy, romance, and magic all into one play..."

I agree; The Tempest is amazing. It is by far my favorite of the Bard's plays. And yes, it does have something for everyone.

Which character are you playing?

Puck and Ariel are my two favorite characters.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Diem | 2 comments I’m playing Ferdinand! I agree, both Puck and Ariel are fantastic characters. I’ve portrayed Puck in two different productions but I would also love to play Ariel one day; that’s one of my dream roles.

message 43: by John Anthony (new)

John Anthony (johnanthonyisreading) | 1 comments Macbeth for me as the lines stay with me and I never tire of it (though I'm invariably a little disappointed by each production I've seen live) . But it's so hard to choose. The Tempest, Lear, Richard III and Coriolanus are special for me too.

message 44: by Mohamad (new)

Mohamad Shibly (moshibly) Othello and king lear

message 45: by Jon (new)

Jon | 1 comments Richard II -- I had a charismatic professor and it was her favorite and she convinced me.

message 46: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (thebibliosage) | 12 comments The Merchant of Venice - Shylock’s “I am a Jew” monologue is one of the most powerful monologues I’ve come across.

message 47: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie From what I have read so far, my favourite is Romeo and Juliet.

message 48: by Scott (new)

Scott (skotf9) | 4 comments Much Ado About Nothing

message 49: by Stewart (new)

Stewart Kenny wrote: "Out of curiosity, what is your favorite play by William Shakespeare, and why?"

It's got to be Hamlet. It's ... it's like secular scripture, it's so full of wisdom and beauty. Lear comes in at a close second for the same reason. No, I change my mind, Lear's first. No, wait...

message 50: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Summers (bryansummers) | 2 comments Henry the IV part 1. Because it moves. And because I love Falstaff, Hal and Hotspur. (Hotspur is hilarious and maybe my favorite Shakespeare antagonist. He's not really a villain is he. And I hate that he dies.)

I just saw Henry IV in Los Angeles with Tom Hanks as Falstaff. Definitely the funniest Falstaff I've seen. It was top notch.

« previous 1