Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Action and Suspense > Lee Child

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my favorite writers. Reading the series in order. I finished Tripwire and thought it was one of his best books. Will read Echo Burning next.

Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3) by Lee Child

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great article Rajeev. I didn't know about this. Never read anything by Alistair MacLean but I'm going to try one now.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like Tom Cruise will be in another movie from Lee Child's Never Go Back. I liked the first one. Not sure others liked the movie as much.

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/100...

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Goeser | 6 comments Movie was much better than I thought it would be. Still hard to fit a tiny squirt into my mental picture of a 6'5", 250 pounder!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you on Cruise. Have to put some thought on who else would play Reacher.
I wasn't crazy about One Shot because of the ending. I liked the way the movie ended though.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina  | 13 comments I haven't watch the movie yet about Jack Reacher. I borrowed it from the library, but I didn't watch all of it. I was trying to watch it, but I couldn't get into it. I have to try again sometime later.

I actually have a book by Lee Child, but I haven't read it yet.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Goeser | 6 comments It starts somewhat slowly and without any guideposts. Gets better later for Reacher fans.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (youngbuck) I could totally see Jim Caviezel playing Reacher! But probably never going to see anyone but Cruise, since he's a producer.

message 9: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 2 comments @ Gina - Please do not watch the movie Jack Reacher. Start reading the series from Killing Floor, the first in the series. (Tom Cruise is NO Jack Reacher, don't let him distort the image of Reacher that you will form after reading the books)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I made the mistake of reading the series out of order. I chose Running Blind first. I went back and read the others though so my next stop is Echo Burning. It's kind of like David Morrell so far. Every book seems to be better than the last one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan wrote: "I could totally see Jim Caviezel playing Reacher! But probably never going to see anyone but Cruise, since he's a producer."

I agree with you on this.

message 12: by James (new)

James (birchoverjames) | 36 comments Just downloaded Personal his latest book. Now have all his books, including the e-shorts.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 21 comments My husband and I are both fans of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. When a new book comes out we hide it on the other, so one of us can be the first to read it. I do not have a personal favorite, Lee Child has never disappointed.

Gina, please do not watch the movie first, Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher (only his ego thinks he could be), you want to build your own wonderful mental image of Mr. Reacher (and it won't be of the goofy Cruise fellow). Only a 6'5", 250 pounds of Jack can pull off the presence and instill the foreboding that comes to his enemies. And Oh, please read chronologically, you will enjoy! :)

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Dipanjan wrote: "@ Gina - Please do not watch the movie Jack Reacher. Start reading the series from Killing Floor, the first in the series. (Tom Cruise is NO Jack Reacher, don't let him distort the image of Reacher..."

Speaking to the choir, Dipanjan! I refuse to watch the movie! He is NO Jack Reacher!

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) By the way, did anyone hear Lee Child's interview on NPR the other day? He said he couldn't believe the passion of his Jack Reacher fans: http://www.npr.org/2014/08/31/3442644...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the link. Have to listen to this later.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It will be a long time before I read this one. I'll try to take in 2-3 books a year from Lee Child.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 21 comments Mike wrote: "Personal (Jack Reacher, #19) by Lee ChildPersonal
by Lee ChildLee Child

Just released. The latest in the Reacher series."

My husband and I will be having another fight over who reads this one first! :)

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) LOL! @Melissa! Maybe you should get the audiobook - then you can listen to it together - or you can take turns reading chapters to each other.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 21 comments I would, but I have an attention span of a gnat or my dog "squirrel"! :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is a review of Lee Child's latest book from the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enterta...

message 22: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo Suastegui (esuastegui) Lee Child is definitely one of my to-read authors. Picking his first book up as soon as I finish my current read.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I know that I've said it before but I did skip the first book after reading the preview. The writing was too choppy for me. The other books aren't like that. See what you think. I'll be reading Echo Burning soon.

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) I have several of his books that I picked up at a used book sale and want to get into them soon, but there are so many recommendations that I keep getting side tracked. Good to know about the first book Ron, I may skip that one and start with the second.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5) by Lee Child

Next year, I'll be reading Echo Burning. I'm sure that a lot of people are ahead of me in this series.

message 26: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) I am actually just starting this series. I have about 10 of them that I picked up at various charity book sales, so I figure it is time to start. I am planning on reading the first two while away in Florida along with various other authors.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I had read the first few pages of the first book, The Killing Floor. The writing seemed very choppy for me and I actually started on the second book. The writing wasn't like that. You may want to check out the preview of the first book to see what you think.

message 28: by Jenene (new)

Jenene Kirsten wrote: "Dipanjan wrote: "@ Gina - Please do not watch the movie Jack Reacher. Start reading the series from Killing Floor, the first in the series. (Tom Cruise is NO Jack Reacher, don't let him distort the..."

Despite my reservations, I did watch the movie and I agree!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

My feeling is that if you're going to do a movie on this series, you should start with the Killing Floor since it was the first one.
I agree with Jenene that you should read the book before seeing the movie.

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I do really need to get back to this series. Killing Floor is my favorite of the ones I've read so far, and Echo Burning is my least favorite.

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Oxier (debbieoxier) | 124 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I do really need to get back to this series. Killing Floor is my favorite of the ones I've read so far, and Echo Burning is my least favorite."

His current book, Make Me, isn't bad but there are others I've liked better. It would be difficult to pick a favorite.

message 32: by Reacherfan (new)

Reacherfan | 17 comments I disliked Make Me. It was like Lee Child read John Sanford's Bad Blood and wanted to out-gross the incest element with something worse. Even the closed remote setting was the same.

I really liked his first 9 books and then the series got uneven and formula. Gone Tomorrow was pretty good. Otherwise, OK, not great.

message 33: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 88 comments My favourite so far was Personal. I thought it was an excellent reinvention really. He had new ex colleagues and the storylines around London and Paris were excellent.

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Morris | 11 comments Interestingly, my two "Dan Slater" novels have been compared by some readers to Lee Child's "Jack Reacher". But I've never read a Lee Child. Maybe I should.

message 35: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 88 comments That's a great compliment! Maybe you should give him a go and see what you think yourself.

Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tripwire (other topics)
Echo Burning (other topics)
Personal (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lee Child (other topics)