Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

The Poison Bed
This topic is about The Poison Bed
Monthly Group Reads > JULY 2018: THE POISON BED by E.C. Fremantle

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments This is the group discussion thread for The Poison Bed by E.C. Fremantle.

All welcome to join in the discussion, even if you have already read it by July 1, or plan on reading at some stage in the future.

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:23PM) (new)

Terri | 19573 comments Sorry to our American members that this book isn't officially released in the US yet.

If you enjoy the author - or think it looks good - and want to read it now (not wait until the US release) then you can buy the paper version direct from UK sites such as The Book Depository UK and Amazon dot UK.

Jane | 3470 comments I have ordered it from TBD. I don't think it will be a favorite, but it looks interesting enough.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments It certainly intrigues me that they call it a medieval 'Gone Girl' lol.

Laura Tenfingers | 178 comments Hopefully the library gets it soon! It's on order and I'm the first in line 😁

Sherry | 144 comments Just posted my review of The Poison Bed. Wish I could have liked it more -- especially with that fabulous cover!

message 7: by May (new) - added it

May (mayzie) | 890 comments That would be enough for me to pass on reading this one. I was truly infuriated by the ending of GONE GIRL.

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments I never read the book Gone Girl. Only saw the movie which I liked.
Always wondered how closely the movie followed the book.

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments Sherry wrote: "Just posted my review of The Poison Bed. Wish I could have liked it more -- especially with that fabulous cover!"

Couldn't find your review, Sherry. Link is just to book's page. Could you find your review and click on it and then post that link? The link to your review page for Poison Bed? I'd like to read your thoughts.

Sherry | 144 comments Terri wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Just posted my review of The Poison Bed. Wish I could have liked it more -- especially with that fabulous cover!"

Couldn't find your review, Sherry. Link is just to ..."

Sorry -- it's just a brief review & I didn't want it to spoil the read for others. It's at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments Romancey is it, Sherry? Are her tudor books romance-centric also?

Sherry | 144 comments Terri wrote: "Romancey is it, Sherry? Are her tudor books romance-centric also?"

If I remember, they have some romance in them, but there's more about the politics and danger of the time from a woman's point of view. FYI, here's a review I wrote of her novel Queen's Gambit, which I really liked: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... May give you an idea.

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments Gee, it sounds like she did a good job! I try to avoid Tudor era. Only few authors I'll read in the era, but I would give that a try if it one day won a group read poll.
That's why the group read polls are good. It will force me to sometimes read books that I WOULD read but need to be pushed to actually do it. (because I have so many other things to read first).

message 14: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margaret (margyw) | 3330 comments Terri wrote: "It certainly intrigues me that they call it a medieval 'Gone Girl' lol."

Knowing the case it is based on, I would say the "Gone Girl" comparison is rather good.

message 15: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margaret (margyw) | 3330 comments Terri wrote: "Gee, it sounds like she did a good job! I try to avoid Tudor era. Only few authors I'll read in the era, but I would give that a try if it one day won a group read poll.
That's why the group read p..."

She's one of the brightest new talents in the Tudor fiction field. Much better than either Phillipa Gregory or Alison Weir.

message 16: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 55 comments I ordered it and can’t wait to read it but it will have to wait; I’m moderating Gaskell this month and participating in a KAL (Knit a Long) at my local knitting store for month of July and my daughter is due August 5 with first grandbaby so we are changing guest room to grandson’s room!!

But I’m looking forward to it.

Renata (rderis) | 236 comments This showed up in my recent batch from TBD yesterday. I’ve got way too much to read now, but I’m hoping to start it soon. I agree Margaret, Fremantle is quite good!

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19573 comments Thread is always open so any of you folks who can't get to it this month, please feel free to come comment when you finally get to it. :)

message 19: by Jane (last edited Jul 20, 2018 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jane | 3470 comments Found it so-so. The wife especially was reprehensible and the husband totally a milksop and under her thumb. Interesting interpretation of the whole murder and who could have carried it out and why, Historically, the facts are still unclear.

Megan (oreodont) | 27 comments It was 3.5* for me. I liked how the author played with what could have happened and put her own interpretation on it. I definitely saw the parallels to Gone Girl. In this one, I though the build-up was too slow, but I liked the last third or so.

Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Queen's Gambit (other topics)
The Poison Bed (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

E.C. Fremantle (other topics)