Something Old, Something New discussion

Innocence (Innocence, #1)
This topic is about Innocence
Archived Reads - 2014 > August 2014 - Innocence by Dean Koontz

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Here is the spot to discuss all things regarding the August 'Something New' book Innocence by Dean Koontz.

Please be aware there could be spoilers!

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Here is the spot to discuss all things regarding the August 'Something New' book Innocence by Dean Koontz.

Please be aware there could be spoilers!"

I'm in! Ordered my copy and will start reading when I get it in a few days.

message 3: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Here is the spot to discuss all things regarding the August 'Something New' book Innocence by Dean Koontz.

Please be aware there could be spoilers!"

I'm in! Orde..."

Great Katy!

I'm excited about this one too as I've always been a big Koontz fan.

I need to get a copy and do my best to fit it in :-)

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy, have you started reading this yet?

I'm stuck on a review book that is taking me ages to read so haven't gotten to this one yet.

Are you liking so far?

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Katy, have you started reading this yet?

I'm stuck on a review book that is taking me ages to read so haven't gotten to this one yet.

Are you liking so far?"

Just got my copy. Only a little ways in. He saw a chase in a library...does anyone else think about how things could happen in library stacks? I've always thought they had the potential for being scary places.

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Katy, have you started reading this yet?

Are you liking so far?"

A bit further in, and there's a lot going on.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I got my copy today. I also got a copy of Wilderness which I think is supposed to be a prelude to Innocence.
I might start it tonight as the review book I'm in the middle of isn't gripping me as much as I'd like :-)

Kate S I have just moved my copy of Innocence next to my bed, I will be cracking it open tonight. I am very excited to get it going!

message 9: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I quickly read Wilderness last night (it's only 30 pages) so now I'm ready to start Innocence. I'm really looking forward to it now!

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "I quickly read Wilderness last night (it's only 30 pages) so now I'm ready to start Innocence. I'm really looking forward to it now!"

Just finished it. Looks like I'll have some company to discuss it now!

message 11: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finally managed to start this last night and am up to the part in the library. It's around 10% in I think.

I'd hate to be in a library at night. Something always makes me think of that scene in Ghostbusters if I'm ever in a library when there isn't many other people around.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "I finally managed to start this last night and am up to the part in the library. It's around 10% in I think.

I'd hate to be in a library at night. Something always makes me think of that scene in ..."

That was a spooky scene.

message 13: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, so I'm starting to get a little bit annoyed that we keep getting told how hideous looking Addison is but we never get an actual description of why or what he looks like. Does this ever get revealed because it's bugging the hell out of me so far!

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Ok, so I'm starting to get a little bit annoyed that we keep getting told how hideous looking Addison is but we never get an actual description of why or what he looks like. Does this ever get reve..."

Yes. It gets revealed. There is a clue about mid-way that leaves you wondering, but it will be revealed.

Kate S I finished this book last night. I have been mulling it over a bit and I definitely enjoyed the experience and the story Dean Koontz has told. I felt it was a bit rushed at the end. The style of flashback and current was suspenseful, but annoying at times.

message 16: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

So I'm almost halfway through now and am really surprised at how poetic Koontz's writing seems to be these days. I don't remember his writing being like this in many other books except for the Odd Thomas series.
I agree that the flashbacks are becoming a little frustrating. I wish his past story would just be told in one big chunk and then it could get on with the current happenings.

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "So I'm almost halfway through now and am really surprised at how poetic Koontz's writing seems to be these days. I don't remember his writing being like this in many other books except for the Odd ..."

It does have a different tone.

Some of the reviews I read before I started it commented on all descriptive language he used. I thought he was trying to capture the narrator's voice, and it was just different than what he usually tried to do.

message 18: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, so I have finally finished reading this today and can I please ask whether anyone else was left feeling a bit 'meh' at the end?
I might be really blind but I'm still totally confused as to what on earth Addison was that made everyone hate him so much.
The ending just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book to me. It seemed really disjointed in my opinion.

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Ok, so I have finally finished reading this today and can I please ask whether anyone else was left feeling a bit 'meh' at the end?
I might be really blind but I'm still totally confused as to what..."

I took it to mean that they've recreated the Garden of Eden. A plague took out the rest of the world, and only the "pure," like Addison and Gwyn, survived.

Kate S Like Katy, I understood most of the world had been destroyed by some plague. Only those who were like Addison and Gwyn continued.

As to what made people hate them, I understood Addison and Gwyn provided a mirror of sorts to those around them. People who had made choices in their lives with which they were not comfortable, became enraged and wanted to destroy the mirror.

I felt the story had an abrupt ending and this could certainly have been a much longer book to discuss the apocalypse as it was and further separate the "pure" from the "others". I enjoyed the build up, but felt let down by the conclusion.