Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Beauty Queens
This topic is about Beauty Queens
Beauty Queens > Initial thoughts Beauty Queens

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think so far? No spoilers in this thread please.

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

If any of you are going to read along, you really should give the audio book a shot. The narrator is amazing and really brings out the voices of each character.

message 3: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell Just picked up the book today from the library. Read the first couple pages in the car on the way home and do like the sense of humor already.

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) I listened to the audiobook, too, and it is a hoot. In the end, I thought it went on just a tad too long, but I enjoyed it enough to forgive that.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

I am actually going to listen to the audio while I read. I can't listen to an audio book and just star at the walls.. so I figured I would listen to it and read along with it just to hear the fun voices the narrator does.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I listened to the audiobook about 2 years ago and liked it so much I decided to buy the book to re-read it. Even though I didn't vote for the book (because I had already read it) I'm glad to have a compelling reason to re-read it.

Angie is right about the audio book, though. Besides the fantastic narration, there are interesting sound effects (like a chime when she reads 'TM' after trademarked product names).

I hope we'll get into lively discussions about all the things Bray satirizes - beauty pageants, reality shows, political correctness, the cult of personality, rampant consumerism, brand consciousness, tokenism, and so much more.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

Yes.. this book can really bring up some great topics for us to chat about!!! Especially the teens in the group who might read along.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

I have to admit.. I am having a hard time getting through this book. I suppose I am just not a satire person. I feel that it is a little over done. Though.. I do understand why and what the author is trying to accomplish. I am 50% though the book according to my ereader and am really pushing myself through. It is getting a little better now. I just don't know what could go on for another 50% of the book.. I just feel like the story has gone no where.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I just don't know what could go on for another 50% of the book."

I suspect you've encountered a twist in the plot by now.

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

Since you wrote that.. I went ahead and continued on in the book and did encounter the twist. I am enjoying the second half of the book way more then the first half.

Oscar | 51 comments I read this last year, and I loved it.

I might have to refresh my memory in order to participate. But I will say this, I love how we're getting different voices early on.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Oscar wrote: "...I love how we're getting different voices early on."

I agree with you on this. At first it seemed to be all about Adina and Taylor. As the book continues, it becomes clear that there isn't just one, two, or, even three main characters. It's more of an ensemble with each of the characters developing along their own path. You learn the back story or a few of the girls so they no longer appear to be two-dimensional 'chorus' members. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
Do any of you have the audiobook read by Libba Bray? I'm loving that one!!!

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Kush wrote: "Do any of you have the audiobook read by Libba Bray? I'm loving that one!!!"

I'm not listening to the audio book for this discussion but the one I listened to a few years ago was narrated by Libba Bray. Is there another version available? I don't think anything could improve on Bray's narration.

message 15: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
Hi guys,
I just wanted to discuss the way I which I should read Beauty Queens.I M having a hard time getting into this book as I don't know how I should read it. I came into this book thinking it would be a story full of character development with girls who go from rich and spoiled to strong and brave. Now as I read it, it seems like a joke. Is this book meant to be taken seriously or is it just some stupid comedy?
-Kush

message 16: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
In reply to Grace's comment: I don't think so. Everyone just kept referring to her as "the narrator" and not Libba Bray. Butthere might be a different version. They did that with The Fault in Our Stars. One version was read by John Green, the other was read by a different narrator.

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) Kush: you can read the book in many ways. It is, to me, mostly satire, but that doesn't mean that the issues don't deserve to be taken seriously. And it also doesn't mean that some character development doesn't sneak up at you in an unexpected way.

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

I didn't realize Libba Bray was the narrator. I find authors do a great job narrating their own books.

message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 1 star

Kush wrote: "Hi guys,
I just wanted to discuss the way I which I should read Beauty Queens.I M having a hard time getting into this book as I don't know how I should read it. I came into this book thinking it w..."

I don't know either.. I have a hard time with satire. Which is why I don't enjoy the show Family Guy. Just not my style.

Elena (elenaselge) I'm reading or well, listening, to the audiobook narrated by Libba Bray herself and am absolutely loving it so far, which is a really positive surprise considering that I haven't read much satire before. But I'm constantly finding myself laughing with the jokes and rolling my eyes at all the ridiculous commentary. I can't really say much about the characters yet, but I do love the representation of LGBTQ community, so there's that.

I'm looking forward to continuing and am really curious about the plot twist Grace mentioned.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Kush wrote: "Now as I read it, it seems like a joke. Is this book meant to be taken seriously or is it just some stupid comedy?"

Well, that's the thing about satire. It allows you to tackle issues that most people don't want to discuss by poking fun at them instead of taking them seriously. (view spoiler) Young people who might not be interested in considering those issues may be more receptive if they're presented as satire. The satire engages them to consider the ethics or morality behind the issues without getting bogged down in something that looks boring on the surface.

Samantha | 7 comments Just started this book. about 50 pages in and I love it. I have my own voices I have put on all the girls. Think the voices in my head may be similar to the ones from the audio version so I may have to check it out just to see.