Wonder (Wonder, #1) Wonder discussion

Middle Grades: Wonder

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carina Sauter R.J. Palacio's novel Wonder can certainly fit multiple genres, audiences, and moods. August Pullman was born with an extremely rare gene mutation that impacted his appearance from birth. Multiple surgeries, hurdles, and years later, the audience meets August as he begins fifth grade - for the first time in a school setting. He makes you laugh, he makes you cry. He is a genuine little boy who knows exactly where he stands on the totem poll, but has the ability to teach family and friends, children and adults, what matters to a young boy. Middle school is difficult for the most "normal" students, and Palacio's novel shows us how to look past the differences you may see in a friend, and appreciate how wondrous they are.
In a classroom setting, I would certainly utilize this novel to teach about multiple perspectives; not only do we have stories from multiple people throughout the novel, but we also go through certain events more than once from different angles. I think this would be an impactful piece in a middle - or high school - classroom to teach about an approach to writing as well as teaching the importance of kindness.

Bethany I absolutely agree. I loved the turn of enjoyable, yet realistic events of August's life. I also really enjoyed the movie, and would highly suggest it for anyone who enjoyed the book.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi This one has been a popular choice for this week, and I am so glad. It's just a really lovely little book for middle schoolers to read.