Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

An Irish Country Doctor > 6. Patricia & Barry

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:26PM) (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
6. Barry’s first meeting with Patricia seems to have a quality about it of "love at first sight,” of his being smitten by her beauty and she by his slightly awkward charm. Is there more to their attraction than that? Do you think that “love at first sight” can form the basis of an enduring relationship?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I don't want to skew or spoil your opinion on this question. At first I thought they might have a magical relationship, but the magic didn't seem to continue. Later on Barry meets others in which he finds the magic.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Agree. Patricia’s career is more important than anything else. If their relationship continues Barry has to be okay with that. He doesn’t seem the type. I think he wants a wife who dotes on him and their children - Patricia won’t be that person.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments That's interesting, Carol. I thought she was an interesting person, so that's too bad. Having said that, though, "love at first sight" is so common in books, but pretty unusual in real life, right?
I was a little surprised that he was amazed and hurt that she wouldn't sleep with him on their third date - in the 1960s! Or did I read that scene wrong?

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I saw the same thing Cindy. I felt she was playing with him. "Come to my house for dinner and I'll play a romantic opera and kiss you, oh and by the way, I don't want to date you because I want to be an engineer." WHAT!? I didn't think their relationship was built on anything solid. Not surprised it flaked out. He was very twitter-pated. Besides being beautiful, I'm not sure what he saw in her.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I didn't care for her character. I don't care for spoilers, but I guess I'm glad to that relationship didn't carry on. I think Barry was just infatuated. I'm sure grateful that some of the infatuations of my earlier days fizzled out!