Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

An Irish Country Doctor > 1. Northern Ireland

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
1. Just a few pages into An Irish Country Doctor, its main character, Barry Laverty, speaks of his love for and devotion to Northern Ireland. What do we learn about the soul of the country, by the story’s end? What makes it such a compelling home for Barry, and for Taylor’s other characters?

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I probably didn’t appreciate the area as others in our book club will, however, Ballybucklebo didn’t seem any different than Bernalillo, NM - a town where both my parents were raised and where our family still lives. There is an eclectic camaraderie amongst the town folk, everyone knows everyone, and in a pinch all the neighbors will be there to support or help out. I even remember the country doctor visiting my grandmothers house when my aunt (we were the same age) would be sick. 😊

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I like your comparison to Bernalillo Pam. I had the privilege of a lifetime about 10 years ago and got to go to Ireland. That without a doubt was the best vacation I've ever been on. The people are absolutely charming, the land is beautiful. We got to go to special breeding farms of world class race horses, of cattle, sheep, etc. I just loved it. Northern Ireland, also called Ulster is a different country than the country around Dublin and the many Counties. It is absolutely wonderful there. I would love love love to go back. We went to church while there, and to have members there was amazing. There was a missionary serving there from Albuquerque, Wally Stephenson's son. That was cool too.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments So awesome, when I was on my mission...in probably Terre Haute...I walked into church one Sunday and there was Rex Leach! It was so great to see him! He was there doing genealogy research! 😇

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Since we know what's coming for poor Northern Ireland, I felt kind of sorry for everyone! There were a few hints - talking about the Protestant holiday, etc - but mostly they are so innocently oblivious to what's coming. I looked it up and "the troubles" start in the late 1960's. I don't know enough about them to know how they would effect the little towns around it, but poor Belfast!

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I kind of agree with Pam. I'm not sure I saw it differently than any other tight knit small town. But I've also never been to Ireland, so maybe if I had the descriptions of Ireland would have popped out more for me.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I think many people have love and devotion for the places that they live. That's one reason they stay there. I don't know that Northern Irelanders have a corner on the "tight knit" market.