Play Book Tag discussion

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
This topic is about Illuminae
Archive: Other Books > Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited Jun 24, 2018 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7470 comments Why this has been shelved dystopian over 200 times, I'll never know--I've read many, many dystopian novels and didn't shelve it this way--that didn't even cross my mind when I was reading it. I think that the term dystopian may be getting watered down or morphing.

This is a y/a scifi romantic thriller, and by thriller I mean from the very start of the book and all of the way through. One megacorporation attacks the illegal operations of another on an outlying ice planet, and being y/a, two teens are very involved in very important ways after the escape from the planet during the flight away from a pursuing attack vessel. I didn't get into it at first--it's got too many visual gimmicks to really keep the pace moving properly--but my son and I started listening to the audiobook which is well done. I then read most of it because it's faster.

I didn't love it because underneath all of the cool gimmicks it's not that novel or new--lots of hacking, fighting, private messaging, problems with the AI, and various and sundry other things designed to keep the pace up. That said, you may well enjoy this more, given that the average rating is over 4.

Susie | 4488 comments Sorry you didn’t like it more. I thought it was a fun ride.

Karin | 7470 comments Susie wrote: "Sorry you didn’t like it more. I thought it was a fun ride."

My son really enjoyed it, but naturally wanted to talk a lot about the ships (he's into airplanes, so no surprise there), so getting it out of the library has been a good thing.