Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > June 25: It was only a kiss...

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (last edited Jun 24, 2018 07:45PM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
I've been (when I've been reading at all) doing a lot of comfort reading lately and this author, despite having only published a few books, is one of my new comfort reads. There's something about the way she writes emotion laced banter that just really does it for me. I especially like the way these two know what a terrible idea it is for them to get involved but they're faced with that old demon--chemistry.

---
“I should apologise for what just happened.” HERO looked AT HEROINE in silence. “I can’t,” he said at last. That look was back in his eyes, the one she couldn’t quite decipher. “I kissed you—”

“I kissed you. Technically.” Although he’d been a fairly active participant in the whole misguided, shivery shebang.

“It was—” He stopped, obviously intensely uncomfortable.

It was like coming home.

She couldn’t say that. She wasn’t this woman. She was not going to be, for the rest of her theatre career, the actress who got her first big stage break and slept with the director. Some of the less reputable papers had already implied as much, but there was made-up sex and scandal, and there was knowing and living the truth.

There was self-respect.

He was speaking stiffly now, back in his robotic comfort zone. “But I can assure you that it won’t happen again, and it will have no impact whatsoever on your role in this production or any other.”

“It’s okay,” she said quietly. “I know you wouldn’t punish or reward anyone professionally for anything that happened outside of work. You’re not that sort of man.”

That sent a flush of colour into his face. He tucked a stand of hair behind her ear. Apparently realising what he was doing, he swore and took a deliberate step back.

HEROINE lowered her hand from where she’d instinctively reached to hold on to his fingers. “Maybe we ought to keep some distance between us for a while.”

“Until Monday, you mean, when we go to Oxford together, and then the next four weeks of intensive, occasionally one-on-one rehearsals?”

Well, if he was going to be rational about it.

“You could try being pleasant and malleable,” she suggested. “I’d probably find it a complete turn-off. I didn’t realise I had this penchant for militant men. It’s giving me whole new insights into my personality.”

“Militant?”

“I thought it sounded more polite than ‘bossy.’ No?”

“I’m not bossy.”

He actually sounded like he believed that.

“Okay, Captain Von Trapp. Keep telling yourself that.”

She’d broken the stern director facade again. He was grinning. “Are you sure you weren’t fired from CTV? Because if you talk to Steve Warren like this, I’m surprised you didn’t find yourself falling down an empty lift shaft in the second episode.”

She would never dream of speaking to Steve, or any other director, like this. It was just hard to return to business as usual when she knew what his tongue felt like against the roof of her mouth.

“No, amazingly I left by choice.”

“When do you shoot your final scenes?” HERO seemed to be equally determined to get things back on a professional footing, and finding it as difficult. His eyes kept wandering over her lips and tousled hair.

“End of the week. Then I’m all yours.” She closed her eyes and groaned. “It’s like I’m reading from the script for The Cliché Film, the unresolved sexual tension scene, isn’t it? Do you want to kiss again? I think that was our cue.”

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Definitely don’t know (and you have heroines name in there once).

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Sounds cute - no idea

message 4: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I know it!! And it's a good one. I love her voice too, Manda.

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! Good choice!!!

message 6: by Manda (new)

Dls wrote: "Definitely don’t know (and you have heroines name in there once)."

I always forget one, darn it!

message 7: by Manda (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "I know it!! And it's a good one. I love her voice too, Manda."

If I'm waffling about what to read next, I'll just pick up one of her books and start reading. I like the world she's created as well as her voice.

message 8: by Manda (new)

Leigh-Ayn wrote: "LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! Good choice!!!"

Me too!

message 9: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Manda wrote: "Leigh-Ayn wrote: "LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! Good choice!!!"

Me too!"

I heard she got an additional 2 book deal for this world! YAY!!!!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments No idea! Definitely interested in reading this one.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1045 comments I really like the "misguided, shivery shebang." So much like my deceased Great-Grandma's voice (she died when I was 17, so I remember her well.)
Note that she had 5 children by a not-very-nice man who left her and then returned after 25 years, and she Took Him Back, and you will get the idea that she knew about misguided shivery shebangs. I hope heroine gets a much nicer "ever after" in this book.

message 12: by Manda (new)

Susan wrote: "I really like the "misguided, shivery shebang." So much like my deceased Great-Grandma's voice (she died when I was 17, so I remember her well.)
Note that she had 5 children by a not-very-nice man ..."

Wow, Susan! That's a story and a half. Fortunately this ever after is solid. Thank goodness for romance!

message 13: by Manda (new)

Leigh-Ayn wrote: "Manda wrote: "Leigh-Ayn wrote: "LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! Good choice!!!"

Me too!"

I heard she got an additional 2 book deal for this world! YAY!!!!"

I know! And she said who the heroine of the next book will be. We'll chat after the reveal tomorrow.

message 14: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 398 comments A huge favorite of mine!

message 15: by Manda (new)

Oh hey! Sorry I'm late. For those who hadn't already guessed, it's Pretty Face by Lucy Parker.

There are three books in the series so far and this is the middle one. The first, Act Like It might be my favorite. The first two can be read as stand alone, but the third is more tightly connected to second so I'd read PRETTY FACE before Making Up.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Manda wrote: "Oh hey! Sorry I'm late. For those who hadn't already guessed, it's Pretty Face by Lucy Parker.

There are three books in the series so far and this is the middle one. The first, [b..."

I thought it might be a Lucy Parker. I didn't realise the author was a Kiwi until I started. We're practically neighbours. ;-)

message 17: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Funny thing... I like the first 2 more than the 3rd, but I absolutely LOVED the 3rd's epilogue! Very cute.

So, what's this about 2 more in the series?!?!? And who is the next heroine?

message 18: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Act like it is my favourite too!!! Pretty Face is a close second!
I enjoyed Trix' story but I like the "fighting" in the first two...I'm a sucker for enemies to lovers hahaha

The next heroine we met in Act Like it (might have been Pretty face) but it is the tv couple that is mentioned at a gala from a tv crime show that are "dating" according to the public.

Manda can probably fill in more info as I am being very vague lol But I don't know how else to describe it hahaha

OMG i wonder if i can re-read Act Like it again considering I only re-read it last month....lol

message 19: by Manda (new)

She announced on Twitter that the order between the next two had been changed, so Freddie (co-star from Pretty Face) will be the heroine of Book 4 and the mystery show couple will be Book 5.

I think my issue with Making Up, though I enjoyed it, it was just a bit darker because of what Trix was getting over. When I reread Act Like It I skip the black moment, so...there's that.

message 20: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Manda wrote: "She announced on Twitter that the order between the next two had been changed, so Freddie (co-star from Pretty Face) will be the heroine of Book 4 and the mystery show couple will be Book 5.

I thi..."

OMG how do I not follow her on Twitter??? EEK!