Play Book Tag discussion

The Master and Margarita
This topic is about The Master and Margarita
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov 4.5/5

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments May I have a drumroll please??? ....

I have been talking about reading this book FOR YEARS. I'm glad I finally made myself do it.

This is a genre defying novel, and while I guess I can see how it is mostly referred to as magical realism, to me it was far more fantasy. There's a lot going on here, and frankly I don't want to say anything about the story. The book is: satire, social commentary, historical, biblical, theological, romance, funny, dark, mystifying, fantastical. It's extremely well-written, though based on the notes I read at the end of the book you obviously miss a lot by not being able to read it in Russian.

I know a lot of it went over my head but fortunately the end notes helped bring some of it together.

Though I know this book will stay in my mind for days, and it was brilliantly constructed, something was just a little bit off for me. Hard to say what exactly because gosh, technically it's almost perfect ... but connection was missing.

Very glad I finally read it, and definitely a book which should be read far and wide.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Yay! I’m so glad you finally read it! Such a great book.

Idit | 1028 comments Hurray! it's so rich, funny, outrageous and different to almost anything. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Congratulations! But it's not the kind of book I will ever tackle, I think!

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments I’m glad you liked it!

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I am reading this right now!
My husband suggested it when I told him the June tag was magical realism.

I expected it to be more difficult to follow with the Russian names, but it is surprisingly simple (mostly). The version I have they repeat the names consistently in conversation. I am not sure if this is intended for the foreign reader or part of the original Russian text. My husband says Russian literature tends to use shortened names or nickname, so he thought the repetitive use of the characters names was intentional for the translation.

I am not quite halfway through, still quite dense to read quickly for me, but the pacing is fast and action packed. Never a dull moment with Woland and co.!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You got me at your first sentence.:) You did not need to give away anything for me to know you loved this book. Great review!

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Meli wrote: "I am reading this right now!
My husband suggested it when I told him the June tag was magical realism.

I expected it to be more difficult to follow with the Russian names, but it is surprisingly..."

I think the Russian names fear is what put me off reading it for so long. It took me a year to read The Idiot.

The name thing was MUCH easier in this book, I think because it was written later, but I do believe that's the way it was written because that seems to be the way with Russian novels.