Play Book Tag discussion

Disobedience
This topic is about Disobedience
Archive: Other Books > Disobedience - Naomi Alderman 4/5

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I'm fascinated by all things Jewish and this book was no exception.
Raised in an orthodox Jewish family in the UK, Ronit now lives in New York. When she is called home to attend a funeral we discover her past, suffer in her present, and learn about the religion which shaped her life.

This novel was well-done in the fact that it seamlessly blended story and Jewish religious ritual. I am anti-organized religion, but for some reason have a soft spot for Judaism --- perhaps because of the ritual --- so I was fascinated.

The characters were all interesting and well-developed. All with their secrets and compromises.

I listened to the audio and the narrator was absolutely fantastic.

Recommended.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9364 comments Nicole, I was just talking about this book this afternoon. I read and reviewed it last summer. I actually loved this book. I thought it was tremendous and extremely well done. I think I read it for award winners, and it was the orange award for new writers. In any case I also gave it a high number of stars. I think there’s a movie coming out. There are many things I loved about it. I had started to detail them but then chose to erase. Better to leave that for my review if anyone is curious. That said I recommend it too.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I loved Alderman’s The Power, as we all know, so I really should give this one a whirl.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Amy the movie came out already. I watch the trailer and it seems like they changed some odd things around, which kind of irritated me. Regardless, I still want to see it. Someday.