Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1)
This topic is about The Extinction Trials
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Wilson - The Extinction Trials [July 4, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Thanks very much Scott!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Are we going to do a 6 day schedule for this one Siobhan? I can't remember what we agreed on!

message 4: by Siobhan (last edited Jun 25, 2018 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Yeah sure, want me to try and work it out or do you wanna?
I think we said 5 days might be pushing it a bit with other reads, 6 should work.

Edit; or did we say 7 days in the end!?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Ive started! Im only 7% in and we've already met a dinosaur, I'm happy.

The world is pretty generic YA dystopian so far (not counting the dinosaurs ofc) but it seems like a nice easy read.

Theres obviously something going on with (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments 14% in now. I'm really starting to get into it. (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Eek I'll catch you up soon! Sorry!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Charlie wrote: "Ive started! Im only 7% in and we've already met a dinosaur, I'm happy.

The world is pretty generic YA dystopian so far (not counting the dinosaurs ofc) but it seems like a nice easy read.

Ther..."

Agree with your spoiler! Hands down.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments 10% in. Chapter 4.

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Charlie wrote: "14% in now. I'm really starting to get into it. I "

I know right?!

Chapter 9. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Siobhan wrote: "10% in. Chapter 4.
Oh and how stupid..."

I agree it's a stupid name! Also poor dinosaurs :( They don't explain where the food went. I think it's probably a Hunger Games situation where there's more than enough food but the dicks in charge keep it for themselves.

Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "14% in now. I'm really starting to get into it. I "

I know right?!

Chapter 9. I quite like this Lincoln dude. Only doing the trials to try and win healthcare for his mother and ..."

I really like him too, I like him more than Storm I think.

I'm 25% in. The second trial was great (if a bit short), I'm really looking forward to reading about trial 3. The trials are going over so quickly I really thought they would last a bit longer since they're literally the name of the book.

I'm excited to get to dino land though!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments I'm glad the trials aren't dragged out to be honest, I'd rather them get on with the mission. Just read chapter 14 - (view spoiler)

message 13: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Chapter 18 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 23 - (view spoiler)

EDIT: not sure how clear my sarcasm was on chapter 18. To confirm, it's heavily sarcastic. Added emojis to accurately illustrate 😂

message 14: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Just read through Chapter 28. Part of me is like, this is so lame, the writing is juvenile and everything is so obvious. And the other part of me is like, this is so much fun! It feels like I'm in Jurassic Park!!

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Chapter 37 (77%). - (view spoiler)

Will read the rest tomorrow! :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'm glad the trials aren't dragged out to be honest, I'd rather them get on with the mission. Just read chapter 14 - The diving in the lake was a bit tense! Was scared for Lincoln when he got trapp..."

I really wanted this trial to have a bit more to it to be honest. It just felt a bit rushed to me, all the trials did really. I think you know who is definitely her secret dad. I hope I'm wrong since it's so predictable but clearly he is!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments I really want to click on your spoilers by the way, but I wont until I catch up!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 18 - [spoilers removed]

.."

I know! So freaking obvious. I think this book is intended for more middle grade than YA aged readers because everything is laid out so nice and neatly. I'm enjoying it, it's just extremely predictable.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments 43% in !!!!!! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Charlie wrote: "43% in !!!!!! [spoilers removed]"

Exactly!!! Though I'm sure it was bigger than a shark 😂

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 37 (77%). - Ooh I didn't think of that for some reason, there's some guy living in a cave on the island! Must have been left behind on a previous excursion? Hopefully he can help them surv..."

I'm so glad he (view spoiler) too! He deserved it.

Things are getting really interesting! (view spoiler)

This has been such a quick read, I feel like I've barely read anything and I'm already 77% in.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments That's exactly where I decided to leave it for the day! Are you gonna read more tonight?
It really did get interesting didn't it!!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments I'm going to go read Renegades for a bit before bed and finish this one tomorrow. I've left it at a good part so I know I'll be eager to get back to it.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments That's what I was thinking when I put it down. We've done well to get to the exact same part today without a schedule!! Haha XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments It was a natural place to stop I think. But we couldn't have timed it better if we'd tried!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Chapter 42 - 87%. Nearly there...

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Chapter 46 - (view spoiler)

message 28: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 08, 2018 02:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Chapter 47. Warning, rant incoming....

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Done! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 47. Warning, rant incoming...(spoiler)"

Hahaha, this comment popped up in my update feed and I couldn't resist. :D I'm not even reading this book, but this was hilarious! :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 47. Warning, rant incoming...(spoiler)"

Hahaha, this comment popped up in my update feed and I couldn't resist. :D I'm not even reading this book, but this was hilarious! :)"

😂😂

Honestly, Anni! I just had to let it out or I was going to explode!

PS. Don't bother reading it unless you really really hate dinosaurs and want to see nasty humans plot to kill them.

message 32: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments I will trust your judgement and stay away from it :D
Actually I haven't see it before and didn't plan to read it, so I thought it was save to open the spoiler.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Okay I'm done! It was fun, I enjoyed reading it but it got more and more ridiculous as time went on. Storm is an idiot. She doesn't think anything through and I found her very irritating. This book would have been so much better without the humans. I just wanted to explore Piloria and watch the dinosaurs. By the end I was happy to let all the humans die, they're all awful people.

So essentially m,y opinion is dinosaurs > humans.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Haha that's a great summary!! Did the things that bothered me get to you? Or am I just pedantic and weird?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments They all bothered me too, I agree with it all!