Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > eBooks are (still) a potentially better money-maker for writers of Romance.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tea (new)

Tea | 464 comments This isn't really news — that is, it's been said before in other places — but the recent figures featured in this Yahoo! Finance piece bear repeating and remembering.

From the article (by Mandi Woodruff):

Business is booming

As a genre, romance lends itself exceptionally well to digital publishing for a few notable reasons. Romance readers — 84% of whom are female — are a voracious bunch. Two-thirds of romance readers plow through at least two books a month, according to the RWA — twice as many as the typical American adult, Pew researchers found.

“I think ebook sales have definitely aided the romance genre,” says Erin Fry, editor and publications manager at the RWA. “And romance writers have always been at the forefront of the digital revolution. Authors can make real careers out of being self-published or combining print and digital.”

...Another factor driving ebook sales is that, in romance fiction, series sell. The most successful romance writers are able to churn out new material at a rapid clip to satiate their fan base. Whereas a traditionally published author may wait a year to see their book in stores after completion, the timeline is less than a month for indie authors.

“People read the next romance next series in a week and need something else right away,” Howey says. “It’s hard [for traditional publishers] to ramp up … as quickly as people can read them.”

message 2: by Lavender (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:21PM) (new)

Lavender Parker (LavenderParker) | 31 comments I've been writing for less than a year and I've made a lot more than I ever thought I would. This time next year, I hope that I'll be able to make a modest living from writing, and that says a lot because I live in NYC where the cost of living is not cheap. That's crazy to me! I didn't know if I would make any money when I released my first book. I was literally in shock when I saw my first month's sales. I can't even imagine the amounts the indie authors at the top are raking in.

I am self-pubbed and I have no interest in traditional publishing. Obviously, the key to making a decent amount is pricing and quantity of titles (and having a knack for storytelling, of course). I hope to have 3-4 more titles out this year and 5-8 next year to steadily build my fanbase and brand with each title. I also intend to write under another pen name, starting this month, and steadily release titles that way as well. Eventually, I plan to start doing some of the book tours and conventions, but I don't know when I'll get all of that together.

I am just overjoyed that I've been given the opportunity to make money as a writer! I always had a dream to be a paid writer, but I'd never been interested in 'playing the game' so to speak. I didn't want to write for Harlequin or any other gate keeper that would tell me what and how to write. Being self-pubbed means I control my brand, and it works for me.

Wider name recognition and bigger publicity budgets are about all that traditional publishers offer these days, IMHO.

message 3: by Tea (new)

Tea | 464 comments Lavender wrote: I've been writing for less than a year and I've made a lot more than I ever thought I would. This time next year, I hope that I'll be able to make a modest living from writing, and that says a lot because I live in NYC where the cost of living is not cheap. That's crazy to me! I didn't know if I would make any money when I released my first book. I was literally in shock when I saw my first month's sales.

That's great, Lavender!

What's your genre? And how long is a typical book for you? Since you say you plan to get three or four more books out this year, I'm wondering if you've already written them.

Sorry for being so nosy!

message 4: by Lavender (new)

Lavender Parker (LavenderParker) | 31 comments I write contemporary erotic IR/MC romances, some gritty and some fluffy :) I haven't finished the remaining 2014 releases; when I finish them, I release them about a week or two later, when I get them back from my editor. However, they're all partially written or fleshed out months in advance.

I plan to have new releases in August, September, and November. We'll see if I make my self-imposed deadlines, though! I am a fast writer, thankfully. The novels I write are between 220-280 kindle pages. I come from a background of writing scripts, so I tend to keep things short and sweet!