Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Getting Schooled (Getting Some, #1)
This topic is about Getting Schooled
Archive (Buddy Reads) > July Buddy Read - Getting Schooled (Nicole P, KarenH)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments July Buddy Read

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Hey Nicole...I'm looking forward to reading with you next month! I took a quick peek at your M&G list and I did see that we both have Getting Schooled planned, but didn't have a chance to look much beyond that. If you want to look at my cant-wait-to-read shelf, and let me know if you have someplace else I can look, we can see what other books we might want to consider.

Nicole P | 3200 comments Hey Karen :)

I'm game for Getting Schooled! I have it on audio. Thought I would give that a try.

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Ok, Getting Schooled it is! I have it in audio too, although overall I do much more listening than reading so that's not really a big surprise. Will this be your first audiobook? From your post I wasn't sure, but either way it should be good...great narrators!

Nicole P | 3200 comments I've listened to two other books but find that my concentration is crap. I zone out more than anything and then have to go back and listen again.

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Nicole wrote: "I've listened to two other books but find that my concentration is crap. I zone out more than anything and then have to go back and listen again."

Yeah, sometimes it takes a while to get used to listening and train your brain to focus properly. I love my audiobooks, and they saved my sanity when I had about a 4 hour round-trip commute daily. That's when I started listening to them, and even though I no longer have the long commute, I still love them and listen while doing yardwork, housework, running errands, etc. I know they don't work for everyone though. The narrator(s) can make or break a book, and Getting Schooled has a great dual narration, so hopefully you'll be able to get a good idea whether it's something that will work for you in the future.

When do you want to start? I've got a CRAZY week the first week of July, including both weekends, so it would be better for me if we start on or after the 9th. Anytime beyond that should work for me, although this time of year weekdays are better for me because my weekends tend to be busy...lots of summer company when you live on lakefront property! =P

Nicole P | 3200 comments After the 9th works for me as well. I'm wrapping up at work and things will be busy next week before I fly home. Once I'm home, things will be calmer.

And living on a lakefront sounds all kinds of wonderful! Is it how I envision all lake houses to be in the U.S. with there being a little pier, people barbecuing and going out on boats?

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Nicole wrote: "And living on a lakefront sounds all kinds of wonderful! Is it how I envision all lake houses to be in the U.S. with there being a little pier, people barbecuing and going out on boats?"

Actually it's very much like that at times, mostly on summer weekends and holidays though. In the spring and fall, and even summer weekdays it's much less busy, and in the winter it's very quiet because there are a lot of part-time residents, either weekend/vacationers or snowbirds who spend the winter in warmer climates. And the reason the first week of July is going to be so crazy here is because of a couple of things - we have our 4th of July holiday in the middle of the week and always have a big crowd for that. Also, our dock (pier) is falling apart and we have a big work party planned for the following weekend to replace it (it's beyond just being repaired). I just hope the weather cooperates...that could be an ugly job if it's cold and rainy all weekend since they'll have to be out in the water to do the work!

Nicole P | 3200 comments I got home this morning and there's nothing better than the feeling of coming home :) Whenever you're good to start reading, I am as well :) The most I have planned for my holidays is reading everything and anything.

message 10: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Glad to hear you're home! I agree - getting home after being gone is wonderful...followed closely by watching the taillights of the last visitor pulling out of the driveway after a crazy week! =P

I've still got just a little bit left in the book I'm listening to, so can start Getting Schooled pretty much anytime. How do you prefer to read it? I tend to blast through most books in a day or two, but if you'd rather go a little slower and discuss as we go I can try to restrain myself. I'm happy with either option, or if you have a better idea just let me know!

Nicole P | 3200 comments I usually comment as I go along. But we can do it your way as well :)

message 12: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I'm fine with commenting as we go, post what chapter we're commenting about and use spoiler tags unless we know the other person is beyond that point. Does that sound ok? I'll try not to get through it quite as quickly as I normally would! That shouldn't really be a problem though because I have some stuff I need to get done over the next couple of days that will make it a little easier to stretch it out. I've finished my other book, so I'll get started sometime today. =)

Nicole P | 3200 comments That sounds perfect. I'll start sometime today as well :)

message 14: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2018 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Well, so much for commenting as I go! I've got about an hour left in the book, and so far I've enjoyed it. Fairly predictable and not a lot of surprises, but for me right now that's a good thing! And the narration...Andi Arndt has become one of my favorite narrators, either by herself or with a male counterpart, and this one doesn't disappoint.

How is it going for you?

Nicole P | 3200 comments Audio is just not working for me. I'm on chapter 3. Had to rewind a few times because I zoned out out 🙈 I think I need to get the eBook.

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2018 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Well that's a bummer! But on the upside, I have the Kindle version and it's lendable...not sure if that works internationally, but if you can access it I'd be happy to share!

Nicole P | 3200 comments Thank-you so much for the offer! Unfortunately it doesn't work with International users :( One of my endless battles with Amazon. International also can't use Kindle Unlimited.

I bought the book today and will buckle down tomorrow and read it. I'm so sorry about the delay.

message 18: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I was afraid of that...I know a lot of Amazon's perks don't work internationally, which kind of stinks! Don't worry about rushing to get through the book. I've finished, but I can be patient! =)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Reading it is so much better than listening. I'm in awe of those who listen to the audio. Its just not for me :(

I only managed to get to the end of chapter 6 because RL and I'm loving it! Callie's parents are a hoot. I thought Garrett would get on my nerves with his arrogance, but it hasn't been too bad.

And I love the teacher stories. I am a History teacher and agree totally with Connor's theory that teachers are still teenagers, just walking around in grown-up bodies. That we absorb their energy and personality traits.

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm up to chapter 16. I didn't like how seamlessly they moved from being friends into a relationship. Less than a few days. I love Garrett's pep talks to the football team and also in the classroom.

I'm guessing there is going to be drama with Becca Saber. I was also expecting there to be a little drama with Callie when her best friends told her they were getting married. I expected Callie to have some kind of reality check - life is proceeding without her on the West Coast, while she's dealing with her parents quirky ways. Also about her parents, does it take 10 months for a bone to heal? I've never broken a bone (touch wood) and don't actually know anyone who has. Seems awfully long.

message 21: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I have to agree with the theory about teachers still being teenagers, with one change. I'd say all GOOD teachers are still teenagers inside - I remember some teachers in my past that I don't think ever were teenagers =P but they were always the teachers that everyone dreaded having to take their classes.

I didn't really mind how quickly their relationship changed, partially because of their past history and partially because I'm willing to suspend disbelief when it comes to how fast things move in a romance novel if I like everything else that's going on. I do see your point, though! I wondered too about the best friends getting engaged - just didn't seem to have the impact on Callie that I thought it should.

As far as the broken bones go, I agree 10 months is way too long. I've never broken a bone either, but I've had 2 different family members that have had very severe, complicated breaks requiring surgery, bone grafts, etc. and I don't think either one of them took 10 months to be at least able to walk and drive (both were leg/ankle injuries). Maybe not completely healed, but not needing assistance for day to day living. From what I've seen and heard I think 6-8 weeks, maybe a little more, before the cast can come off is about the norm for a simple, clean break.

Nicole P | 3200 comments I’m a blubbering mess! I hate, hate, hate it when animals die. Poor Snoopy 😩😩😩😩 That was heart wrenching 💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔

Nicole P | 3200 comments And Perfect by Ed Sheeran is one of my favorite songs from him! I was fortunate to see him earlier this year in concert and just like his albums, he was amazing live 🙌🏻

Nicole P | 3200 comments All done. So sorry for taking so long. I enjoyed it. I liked that there wasn’t too much drama/conflict.

message 25: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Nicole wrote: "I’m a blubbering mess! I hate, hate, hate it when animals die. Poor Snoopy 😩😩😩😩 That was heart wrenching 💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔"

I know, that was horrible! Although I have to say in a way I was kind of expecting it, just because his age was commented on so many times. Didn't make it any easier to listen to though. That's one of the negatives of listening to the audiobook sometimes - you might be out somewhere - driving, or in the grocery store - and a scene like that sneaks up on you...not fun! Back when I had my long commute there were several occasions that I found myself either laughing hysterically or crying as I was driving. Got some funny looks from other people on the road! =P

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Nicole wrote: "All done. So sorry for taking so long. I enjoyed it. I liked that there wasn’t too much drama/conflict."

I'm glad you liked it too! I don't know if it was my mood or what, but it just hit the mark for me on all counts...I ended up giving it 5 stars. And no worries about taking longer than planned - I'm sorry the audio didn't work for you and you had to switch, but at least now you know for the future that you're better off just sticking with reading!

message 27: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments The one very minor issue I had was when the kids gave Garrett the puppy. I'm sure it works for some people, but I've never actually known anyone who has lost a pet they were that attached to that was willing to take on a new pet so soon. I loved that the kids did that for him, but his reaction just didn't feel right based on my personal experiences (both first- and second-hand). But I didn't let it bug me because it was a great scene and I'm sure there are people out there it would work for - I just don't happen to know any of them!

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm going to give it 4 stars. And yeah, audio is not for me :( I did manage to listen to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but I think the only reason why I managed to do that was because I read the book a few years ago. So I was able to zone out.

I totally get what you're saying about Garrett receiving the puppy so soon after Snoopy passed. Two of my friends who lost their dogs took a while to get another one because it was difficult for them. I have two dogs and they are my whole world. I don't see myself replacing them that quickly. But the gesture from the kids was sweet.

I really liked how Emma Chase delved into both the teachers world and the students. I think she did a pretty good job with both. I found myself nodding along, agreeing to every thought, reaction and emotion. The whole thing with David and Callie's realization how much students come to mean to you was something I totally connected with.

I was happy that Callie came to her senses at the end. I felt that it was a bit unfair for Garrett to be giving up everything. He did it before when he agreed to the breakup in California. He sacrificed his own happiness for hers. And was doing it again with moving to San Diego.

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2018 11:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I'm happy to hear the student/teacher/school scenes worked for you. They seemed realistic to me too, but my only experience with the academic world was as a student WAY too many years ago to think about. It's nice to hear that she did a good job with them from someone who actually lives it!

I'm glad they ended up not going back to San Diego too, although I was totally expecting that ending and would have been shocked if anything else had happened. That was another area where I thought Emma Chase did a good job. You could see Callie falling hard for the kids and the job, but not realizing it. She was so fixated on what she thought was her dream job back in California, not realizing that dreams can change until the reality of actually leaving was right there in her face.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Getting Schooled (other topics)