Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Adult UF series with strong female lead and a crew of friends?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Hi all! I'm looking for recommendations for any adult (No YA please) UF series featuring a strong female lead (but not one that hates the world lol), romance subplots awesome but but not required...what I really want is something different from the 'one woman against the world' thing, someone with friends and family. Basically Buffy for grown-ups. or Firefly but more UF and less SciFi. Make sense? I've been digging deep into Amazon but find UF searches in general almost always come up with a female assassin or cop that prefers to work alone, or they go too far in the other direction and are in harem relationships with every evil creature out there lol. Really appreciate any input! (Also, this is my first post here, I'm just dipping my toes into GR, I did read the rules and search the other posts, so I hope I did this right :-) )

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments Hi Melissa. Can you give us an idea of ones you like and ones you don't so we have a starting point?

message 3: by Keila (new)

Keila Cush (kcush) | 6 comments These are some of my favorites, all UF, and all are series so I’m going to list them by the series title and not the title of each book. You can find them all on GR as well as on my read list.

The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

Both of the above have lead female characters with a bunch of good friends to support them and both are in their late 20s early 30s as far as for maturity of the character.

Then I came across the author Dannika Dark by chance and ended up falling in love with 3 of her series’...
Seven
Mageri
Crossbreed
All her series have strong female and male characters of varying ages with intertwining lives.

Then there’s always the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, but idk if that would be to YA for you, the main female character is in her early-mid 20s.

message 4: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Herekittykitty wrote: "Hi Melissa. Can you give us an idea of ones you like and ones you don't so we have a starting point?"

Hi! I'd love to but I haven't found any! I loved the Dragonlance series for the friendship building but I'm looking for a UF setting. Sigh.

message 5: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Keila wrote: "These are some of my favorites, all UF, and all are series so I’m going to list them by the series title and not the title of each book. You can find them all on GR as well as on my read list.

The..."

Thank you! I'm adding them all to my list! I did have Mercy Thompson on there but was worried it would be too 'lone wolf' for me, so I'm happy to have the recommendation!

message 6: by kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude (last edited Jun 24, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments Melissa wrote: "Herekittykitty wrote: "Hi! I'd love to but I haven't found any! I loved the Dragonlance series..."

The Allie Beckstrom series Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk will probably fit the bill for you. the romance is very slow burn and definitely secondary but Allie has loads of friends to help her out. The world is magical but there are zero supernatural creatures which is different.

Try this trilogy too Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1) by Amanda Arista , the heroine has a bff who is really central to the story.

message 7: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Fantastic, thank you!

message 8: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) Hi, Melissa! UF is my very favorite genre and this is exactly the type of book I look for as well! Here are some of my favorites so far:

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison -This series focuses on a hilarious redheaded witch who gains more friends and family the longer the series goes on. This is the pinnacle to which I hold all other UF series.

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire -The first book is very much 'one woman against the world,' but the more you read, the more her family grows and they are the BEST (and probably most diverse) family!! Also, every book is an adventure.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews -Kate Daniels has an attitude and a spectacular group of friends. Sometimes her friends are also her enemies, but sometimes they become family instead. Lots of mythology-esque stuff going on here. I love this series.

message 9: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) Oh, I also adore everything that Joss Whedon touches. Buffy's a favorite for life.

message 10: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Youngblood (dmyoungblood) | 2 comments Not sure about the Buffy for grown ups requirement (LOL) but I too love strong female characters who aren't the lone wolf type. Here are some of the series I've loved:

Anne Bishop: The Others series, Black Jewels series
Jacqueline Carey: Starless, Kushiel series (Fantasy not UF)
Debra Dunbar: Imp World series (also very funny)
Kevin Hearne: Iron Druid series (while the MC is male, the female lead is awesome)

Hope this helps! :-)

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ceodraiocht) | 17 comments Where Romance is ok - Nalini Singh Archangel series - friends are the family and protect one another, not blood relations. I think it's just one graphic sex scene or so per book (so a story with sex, not sex with a thin story line to string it together).

Second Dead Witch Walking and love her "crew".

message 12: by W.L. (new)

W.L. Hawkin (ladyhawke1003) | 11 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi all! I'm looking for recommendations for any adult (No YA please) UF series featuring a strong female lead (but not one that hates the world lol), romance subplots awesome but but not required....."

Hi Melissa. I might have just what you desire. My Hollystone Mystery series features a coven of witches who solve murders. This is a mixed group. It's adult. It's urban fantasy. It's LGBTQ. The Hollystone Coven high priestess, Sensara is a strong female protagonist. There are three other strong females in the group in the first book. The male protagonist (high priest, Estrada) is strong but flawed. Elements of romance. Mystery. Thriller. Here's the link to my amazon page so you can check it out. https://www.amazon.com/default/e/B01N...
and my website: bluehavenpress.com
Happy Reading!

message 13: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Herekittykitty wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Herekittykitty wrote: "Hi! I'd love to but I haven't found any! I loved the Dragonlance series..."

The Allie Beckstrom series Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk will probably fi..."

Thank you so much!

message 14: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Holly wrote: "Hi, Melissa! UF is my very favorite genre and this is exactly the type of book I look for as well! Here are some of my favorites so far:

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison-This series focuses on..."

Oh yea! So excited to get started on these! Nice to 'meet' someone with similar tastes :-)

message 15: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Diane wrote: "Not sure about the Buffy for grown ups requirement (LOL) but I too love strong female characters who aren't the lone wolf type. Here are some of the series I've loved:

Anne Bishop: The Others seri..."

Ooohhh, these all look really fun! Thank you!

message 16: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Maggie wrote: "Where Romance is ok - Nalini Singh Archangel series - friends are the family and protect one another, not blood relations. I think it's just one graphic sex scene or so per book (so a story with se..."

Wonderful. Sex scenes are fine, it's just a waste when it's gratuitous. Sigh.

message 17: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments W.L. wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Hi all! I'm looking for recommendations for any adult (No YA please) UF series featuring a strong female lead (but not one that hates the world lol), romance subplots awesome but bu..."

Thank you, I'll take a look!

message 18: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) If you don't mind, come back with the ones you choose to read and let us know what you thought! ;)

message 19: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Starting w Dead With Walking!

message 20: by Robin (DocRob) (new)

Robin (DocRob) | 8 comments Hi Melissa!

I second a lot of the recs above (especially the Kate Daniels series - one of my all-time favorites!). I know you put some left and right limits on what you don't *think* you are looking for, but since you seem to be open to exploration, I am going to include a couple that might not seem to fit at first glance, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give them a chance.

1. The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones (Charlie is a grim reaper...)
2. Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill
3. Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (wait til you meet Bones...yummy!)
4. The Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep (I know you said no assassins, but the worldbuilding and characterizations are phenomenal in this series, and for some reason there is a lot of food-talk, which is oddly comforting.)
5. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (the main character is male, but he has a TON of very powerful friends, including some BA females that in some of the books are actually much more of the main character than he is.)
6. The Elder Races series by Thea Harrison (this one showcases a different book for many different characters - some are male and some are female, but they are all really great stories.)

I hope this helps with building your TBR!

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica Hills | 2 comments I love Kim Harrison, Anne Bishop, and Ilona Andrews’s series! I also recommend Seanan McGuire’s October Daye and InCryptid series.

message 22: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Thank you! I’ve started Butcher as well...appreciate all of the advice!

message 23: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 5 comments The Last Oracle - Starts with The Book of Secrets by Melissa McShane. The first two are out. The next one comes out first part of next year. I love them. :)

message 24: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) Monica wrote: "I love Kim Harrison, Anne Bishop, and Ilona Andrews’s series! I also recommend Seanan McGuire’s October Daye and InCryptid series."

Right? I feel like Seanan McGuire needs more credit. InCryptid is hilarious and as a whole, Toby Daye is just as good as the Rachel Morgan or Kate Daniels series!!

message 25: by Marie (new)

Marie (acheron1981) | 14 comments Hey the elemental assassin series is worth reading. Jennifer estep first book is spiders bite. Also jill kismet by lilith saintcrow first book night shift and Dante valentine by same author first book is working for the devil.

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 45 comments I'm a little late to the party on this post, but if you like ensemble urban fantasy (is that a thing? not sure. But yay teams!) here are some I'd recommend (and mostly seconding what others have added -- so many good picks in the comments!):

1. Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill (First book: Some Girls Bite) - If you loved the Scooby Gang from Buffy, you'll love the Ombuddies in this series.

2. Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh. This is one of my favorites. Nalini is just an amazing storyteller. The first three books focus on Elena/Raphael, but then it skips around. (Some people think Raphael is too much of an alphahole for them. I suggest they jump to book 4 Archangel's Blade. You won't be lost, and you'll get good found-family vibes.)

3. The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. While it does go into P.I. territory, Rachel always has to work with others, and as the series evolves that becomes clearer. (First book: Dead Witch Walking)

4. Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. Vampires, secret government involvement, mercenaries, lots of action and a to-die-for hero/heroine dynamic. This series becomes a stronger paranormal romance in the second novel, but maintains the mystery element throughout. (First book: Halfway to the Grave)

5. Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. This is a lighter urban fantasy series with a succubus who wishes she were human, preternatural best friends (including an archdemon boss who looks like John Cusack) and a plight for real love. (First book: Succubus Blues)

message 27: by W.L. (last edited Jul 07, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

W.L. Hawkin (ladyhawke1003) | 11 comments I'm looking for some UF readers to review my books. If you'd like to try To Charm a Killer (1) and/or To Sleep with Stones (2), email me and mention this group and I can send you an ebook if you can do an honest review. Wendy -- bluehavenpress@gmail.com

This series features a Wicca coven who solve murders. Book 1 is set in Vancouver and Ireland. Book 2 is set in Scotland. I am just completing the edits on Book 3. These are edgy adult mystery/thriller/urban fantasy. Not YA.

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments W.L. wrote: "I'm looking for some UF readers to review my books. If you'd like to try To Charm a Killer (1) and/or To Sleep with Stones (2), email me and mention this group and I can send you an ebook if you ca..."

Hi. Can you give us the Goodreads links please.

message 29: by W.L. (new)

W.L. Hawkin (ladyhawke1003) | 11 comments Yes, absolutely. Thanks for asking. This is my author page. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Book One is here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

And this is Book Two: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 30: by M.M. (new)

M.M. Colt (melissamgreen) | 12 comments Thank you all!! I need to update my bookshelf, but loved Storm Front & almost finished with Dead Witch Walking! Fun!

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra | 3 comments Melissa wrote: "Fantastic, thank you!" Thanks for these recommendations. It sounds like it will be exactly what I've been searching for!

message 32: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 114 comments This series is pretty good too. Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex Spellbound, #1) by Annette Marie

message 33: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Wilson | 15 comments Did I miss the fantastic author, Faith Hunter? She has two strong, super-addicting series with the ultimate of female leads.

Jane Yellowrock is set in New Orleans and the Soulwood series follows Nell Ingram in Tennessee. The two series can be read separately, but also have cross-over characters. I cannot say enough about these books and I’ve lost count of my re-reads, just because they are so compelling. Strong female characters, articulate and sexy males, vampires, werewolves, and a vampire tree. These books are the height of fun reads.

As a reference, these are my other favorite authors:

Anne Bishop
Ilona Andrews (my other “tied for first”)
Laurell K Hamilton
Shelly Laurenston
Keri Arthur
Yasmine Gaelnorn

message 34: by April (new)

April Villone | 3 comments Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Rylee Adamson series (and many others) by Shannon Mayer, Any KF Breene series (Darkness I haven't read but all the others are great).

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments In many ways, the ultimate 'strong' female characters, many of which are actual Alpha Female personalities (with the jobs and skills to match), and a huge crew (ever expanding!) behind them are the ones that Shelly Laurenston creates in her books. Most of them are 'deadlier than the males', but her books are chaotic, absurd and absolutely hilarious... and are quite polarising; most love or hate them with not much in between. She also includes alpha males, but is not afraid to have a laugh at their expense and make some of them totally ridiculous...

The ones I've read so far are

Hunting Season is a standalone. It is the first in a series that was never continued.

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston the first in my least favourite, but it's still really entertaining. book 3.5 leads into
The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston which is two novellas. That series continues and leads directly into the best of them all
Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1) by Shelly Laurenston where the ultimate relationship is the one between the sisters; Charlie, Stevie and Max. COMEDY GOLD.

There is also a duology and a trilogy that I've yet to get to but I know are along the same lines. She also writes a high fantasy dragon shifter series under the name GA Aitken which I also know is along similar/same lines.

message 36: by Don (new)

Don (storiesbydon) | 3 comments It sounds like you're looking for something with a BtVS feel...and I'd throw my hat into the "I'm interested" ring for that as well...

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen Ruggero | 1 comments Has anyone mentioned Faith Hunter’s books? Jane Yellowrock is perfect. The spin off series with Nell Ingram is great also.

message 38: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Karen wrote: "Has anyone mentioned Faith Hunter’s books? Jane Yellowrock is perfect. The spin off series with Nell Ingram is great also."

Nell is so great and she has quite a group of both coworkers and family.

Holly wrote: "Monica wrote: "I love Kim Harrison, Anne Bishop, and Ilona Andrews’s series! I also recommend Seanan McGuire’s October Daye and InCryptid series."

Right? I feel like Seanan McGuire needs more cred..."

I think the Incryptid series doesn't get enough advertisement. Toby is a little more known. I love the Incryptid.