Dorothy Dunnett Book Club discussion

Niccolo Rising > Main character

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

before starting what do you think our main characer, Nicholas, looks like? Personality? His back story? If you read this story, again, please do not spoil, instead tell me what your initial thoughts were.

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 346 comments Mod
DD supposedly said she would cast a young Colin Firth (of course, he was a young Colin Firth at the time)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

lol i was thinking he would have similarities of Lymond, but look different. dark hair and dark eyes

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments Ooo, this is fun! I first read NR so long ago (I know it was pre-1989!), I can barely remember what I thought beyond huge disappointment that our protagonist was a buffoon with no entry into the corridors of power.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 20 comments Young Brendan Fraser was always my Claes.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Based on the title I figured Nicholas is a clever, charming man. He also deceives people, which gets him in trouble. I think he comes from low origins.

message 7: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments Beth wrote: "Young Brendan Fraser was always my Claes." I think I'm gonna like this book :-) ;-) .

My copy arrived today - the tag line is 'adventure, High romance and the dangerous glitter if fifteenth centurey europe'. I imagine Niccolo being somewhat like lymond in his interlect and clever planning but perhaps lacking his destructive streak. I can't wait to find out...

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate McKinley (copykate) | 3 comments Beth wrote: "Young Brendan Fraser was always my Claes."

Agreed!