We Read Stuff discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month Nominations > August 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Jul 11, 2018 08:46PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) August is our Non-Fiction month! Non-fiction can cover a wide variety of subjects so I'm sure we will have quite an interesting line up in August as always!

Nominations:
Hidden Figures The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly Sex in the Sea Our Intimate Connection with Sex-Changing Fish, Romantic Lobsters, Kinky Squid, and Other Salty Erotica of the Deep by Marah J. Hardt Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine by Alan Lightman The Last Girl My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State by Nadia Murad Mutants On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Marie Leroi The Only Girl in the World A Memoir by Maude Julien

- Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine by Alan Lightman(1 second)

- Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah(1 second)

- Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly

- Sex in the Sea: Our Intimate Connection with Sex-Changing Fish, Romantic Lobsters, Kinky Squid, and Other Salty Erotica of the Deep by Marah J. Hardt

- The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State by Nadia Murad

- Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Marie Leroi

- The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir by Maude Julien

--------------------------------------------------
A few reminders about nomination rules:

- Each member may nominate one book AND may second one book that has already been nominated.

-If you want to only nominate or only second a book without nominating anything that is fine.

- If we get more than 10 nominations then the 10 books with the most seconds will go to the poll.

- Graphic novels, manga, and comics are allowed to be nominated

- There are no minimum page counts for a book to be nominated.

- Books must be first in a series or a stand alone unless the group has already read the book in the series that came before the one being nominated.

- Nominations will close the afternoon of July15th

*If you have any other questions about nominations or how they work please see this post

message 2: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (valea22) | 64 comments Hi! I’d like to nominate hidden figures by Margot Lee S.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I will nominate Sex in the Sea: Our Intimate Connection with Sex-Changing Fish, Romantic Lobsters, Kinky Squid, and Other Salty Erotica of the Deep by Marah J. Hardt

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I'm actually really excited for this month. I like non-fiction a lot :)

message 5: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments I nominate born a crime by Trevor noah

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Valeria and Cyn I've got both of your put into the nominations list :)

message 7: by S Roberta (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments I nominate The Road to Sleeping Dragon: Learning China from the Ground Up
by Michael Meyer
It's written by a young American who lives in China for a few years, first in the Peace Corps and then on his own.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments I nominate Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine by Alan Lightman.
Just got a good review in today's NYT. I have read a couple of his books, and they are enjoyable, and very novel-like for non fiction.

message 9: by S Roberta (last edited Jul 03, 2018 07:27PM) (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments The Last Girl by Nadia Murad. It's about a minority group (Yazidi) in Iraq that was almost wiped out by ISIS. Even the Kurds betrayed them. The women were sold as sex slaves. This Nadia's story of what it was like and how she escaped. Sorry, I already nominated a book, but this one is much better so I'll cancel my first nomination of Sleeping Dragon if I can.

message 10: by S Roberta (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments Jenny wrote: "I nominate Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine by Alan Lightman.
Just got a good review in today's NYT. I have read a couple of his books, and they are enjoyable, and very nov..."
This sounds very interesting. I've put it on my "to read" list. I guess this counts as a seconding.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) S Roberta wrote: "The Last Girl by Nadia Murad. It's about a minority group in Iran that was almost wiped out by ISIS. The women were sold as sex slaves. This Nadia's story of what it was like and how she escaped. S..."

I'm fine with people changing their nominations to something else. I'll get it updated :) as far as seconding its for if we happen to get more that 10 books nominated you say you second a book to say you think that one should also be in the poll as well as the one you nominated.

message 12: by S Roberta (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "S Roberta wrote: "The Last Girl by Nadia Murad. It's about a minority group in Iran that was almost wiped out by ISIS. The women were sold as sex slaves. This Nadia's story of what it was like and ..."
Thank you. The small minority group is called "Yazidi" and it's a fascinating culture/religion.

message 13: by Leandra (new)

Leandra I'll nominate Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Leroi and second Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I believe I've got everything up to this point updated in the nomination post. Remember nomination close Sunday so be sure to get them in if you haven't. We have a great line up so far :D

message 15: by Lattisha (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments I would like to nominate The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir by Maude Julien.

Maude Julien’s childhood was defined by the iron grip of her father, who was convinced his daughter was destined for great deeds. His plan began when he adopted Maude’s mother and indoctrinated her with his esoteric ideals. Her mission was to give him a daughter as blonde as she was, and then to take charge of the child’s education. That child was Maude, on whom her father conducted his outrageous experiment—to raise the perfect ‘super-human’ being.

The three lived in an isolated mansion in northern France, where her father made her undergo endless horrifying endurance tests. Maude had to hold an electric fence without flinching. Her parents locked her in a cellar overnight and ordered her to sit still on a stool in the dark, contemplating death, while rats scurried around her feet.

I will second Born a Crime.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.