Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > 2014 Hugo Award Straw Poll

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2014 06:17AM) (new)

Hugo Award Logo     The official voting for the 2014 Hugo Awards closed this morning, so I thought it would be amusing to find out which stories this group would vote for. I've creating a series of polls to find out.

Actual Hugo voting is by preferential ballot (e.g. a 1st choice, a 2nd choice, 3rd, etc. — at least in the previous two years, the work that won the most first-place votes also won the award. At any rate, Goodreads doesn't have preferential voting, so it's moot.) Hugo voters can also choose "No award", though I can't think of an instance where that's actually won a category.

I previously Listed the major Hugo Award nominees here.

You can just go to the Polls area and cast your votes for each category, or vote individually:

Straw Poll for Best Novel Hugo

Straw Poll for Best Novella Hugo

Straw Poll for Best Novelette Hugo

Straw Poll for Best Short Story Hugo

Straw Poll for Best Graphic Story Hugo

Straw Poll for Best New Author Campbell Award

Straw Poll for Best Dramatic Presentation Long Form (Movie) Hugo

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I confess that my own Hugo nominations were almost perfect in that my first choice in almost every category didn't even make it to the final five nominees! (IMO, Best novel: The Golem and the Jinni, Best Novella: Burning Girls, Best Novelette: "They Shall Salt the Earth with Seeds of Glass", Best Short Story: "Sounds of Old Earth". Campbell (new writer): Helene Wecker. I am inured to disappointment. ;(

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 429 comments You couldnt have got both a novel nomination AND a campbell for Wecker so you were always going to be slightly disappointed.

I have dipped into at least a sample of all the novels and I was dissappointed with all of them, I may be a bit of a literary snob but I didnt think any of them deserved to make the short list. Wheel of time isnt a novel and though what I have read of the series was very enjoyable I wouldnt have voted for any of them. Of the other nominees the Ann Leckie is my favorite by a country mile and it, whilst a strong first novel worthy of giving Leckie the campbell (if she would have been eligible) it is a very flawed novel that I didnt really connect with.

The short story category is the only other one I read enough of to really comment about. All had there merits but I didnt really think the Swirsky was a story , it read more like a poem and though I liked it enough to read it through several times I didnt think it was as interesting or enjoyable as the other contenders.

message 4: by Trine (new)

Trine Paulsen | 22 comments Valente's Six-Gun Snow White is very good though not her best work, so it gets my vote for best novella.

Aliette de Bodard is a favorite of mine. (novelette)

Sofia Samatar's Stranger in Olondria is a really beautiful story, so IMO she deserves the Campbell Award.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2014 04:24PM) (new)

Ben wrote: "You couldnt have got both a novel nomination AND a campbell for Wecker so you were always going to be slightly disappointed."

Yeah, but I didn't get either. :(

Ben wrote: "I didn't think any of them deserved to make the short list."

Last year, I would've been fine with a "no award". But this year, it's a pretty strong field in my opinion, and I'd be content with either Leckie or Jordan (or Wecker) taking the best novel.

I also thought the Novella, Novelette & Short Story categories were very strong this year. (I wish we had discussed some of the better ones. My bad.)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2014 04:28PM) (new)

Trine wrote: "Valente's Six-Gun Snow White is very good though not her best work, so it gets my vote for best novella.
Aliette de Bodard is a favorite of mine. (novelette)
Sofia Samatar's Stranger in Olondria ..."

A lot of close calls in the novella/novelette/short story categories. The Valente, Wells, Duncan&Klages and Torgersen are all strong novella (the latter being the most "traditional" sci-fi of the lot.) And Kowal, de Bodard, Chiang & Torgersen have nice novelettes. The Chu & Samatar are a coin toss for me among the short stories.

I tried reading A Stranger in Olondria twice, just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, I like Samatar's shorter stories (e.g. "Selkie Stories are for Losers".)

While I liked Nexus, The Lives of Tao was just OK, it was the unique imagination of Gladstone's Craft universe that won me over for the Campbell New Author award.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thursday is the final day for our Hugo straw polls.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 08, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Hugo Award Logo Our 2014 Hugo Awards Straw Poll results are in, and our group's choices are:

For Best Novel, we favor:
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14) by Robert Jordan The Wheel of Time (series) by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

which is one really, really long novel, apparently (I make it about 14000 pages.) A close victory over Ancillary Justice.

For Best Novella:
We (barely) favored Catherynne M. Valente's "Six-Gun Snow White" over "The Butcher of Khardov" & "Wakulla Springs" an a narrow preference.

For Best Novelette:
We split evenly between Mary Robinette Kowal's "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" and Ted Chiang's "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" in a light turnout. (Ties in official Hugo voting are not unheard of.)

For Best Short Story:
We liked John Chu's "The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere" in our least-voted category.

For the Campbell Award (Best New Writer):
We were split between Sofia Samatar and Max Gladstone . A close vote all around.

And for Best Graphic Story, we really liked:
Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples.

the most decisive choice of the lot.

Finally, for Best Movie, we favored:

Frozen "Frozen"
over "Gravity" by an icy sliver.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way, the Hugo results that actually count will be announced next weekend at WorldCon (LonCon 3) in London, on Sunday, August 17, at 8pm London time. (The Retro Hugo Awards for 1939 will be presented on Thursday, August 14, at 8pm London time.)

The presentation ceremonies will be live-streamed via UStream.

LonCon 3 has announced that there were 3,587 Hugo ballots cast, a record number (40% of convention members.)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

we going to do a retro vote?

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2014 07:21AM) (new)

Spooky1947 wrote: "we going to do a retro vote?"

Well, I wasn't going to, but since you asked, how about one?

Retro Hugo Straw Poll for Best Novel of 1939

(This poll is only open through Wednesday, because the results are announced Thursday.)

For those unfamiliar with the Retro Hugo, the World Science Fiction Convention can bestow Retroactive Hugo Awards for years in which there were no Hugo Awards given (Hugos were called the "Science Fiction Achievement Awards" back in 1939), when the convention is held on a 25, 50, 75, or 100 year anniversary of that award-less year. (So 2014 is the 75th anniversary of 1939, when apparently some unpleasantness in Europe put a damper on the award.)

The complete Retro Hugo shortlist can be found at the LonCon3 website.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments IMO, that's a tight race between White's The Sword in the Stone & Galactic Patrol, but I picked the former. It led to the Disney tale while the latter was the third in a series. ERB's was third in his Venus series which was very similar to his others. I didn't care for the other 2. Never finished Lewis' & I've tried it several times. I wonder if there's an audio version...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "IMO, that's a tight race between White's The Sword in the Stone & Galactic Patrol, but I picked the former. It led to the Disney tale while the latter was the third in ..."

I was thinking the CS Lewis was part of the "tight race", but could be wrong. Knowing something "led to" a movie is of course an advantage of 75 years of hindsight (and not convinced being chosen for movie makes a great book.) Certainly the Sword in the Stone is the quintessential White — now.

Interestingly, despite the age, I'd read 3 of the 5 nominees. Another advantage of hindsight is the ability to pick a shortlist of books that have endured, an edge annual award voters rarely have.

Causality question: Looking over past Hugo awards, I wonder whether the award voters just got it "right" so often (picked books that have indeed remained popular), or if the Hugo Award simply assures the book will have legs.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

hard to pick between Smith and Williamson...in the end I had to go with Williamson, his book has held up the best over the years.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Spooky1947 wrote: "hard to pick between Smith and Williamson...in the end I had to go with Williamson, his book has held up the best over the years."

I thought that would be the pair you'd pick from :) Memory says The Legion of Time wasn't a bad book, but Galactic Patrol has proven more enduring, IMO. (Use of hindsight again.)

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I've read all of them or tried, but it's been years. I'm definitely voting on old impressions, not the most reliable.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I almost went with the Smith...it was a tuff pick....

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I will say this....if the vote was held in 1939, Smith would win hands down...back in the day Smith was THE man, particularly when it came to the super-science thing...hasn't the Lensmen series already got a Hugo?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

darn it G33, you got me wanting to change my vote.....

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, our Straw Poll seems to favor T H White's The Sword in the Stone for the 1938 Retro Hugo for Best Novel.

For those interested, the Retro Hugo Awards will be presented this evening (Thursday, August 14) at an 8pm BST WorldCon (LonCon3) ceremony livestreamed as Hugo Award Ceremonies live on UStream .

(I think 8pm BST is 12noon US PDT and 3pm US EDT.)

By the way, when that stream isn't live, you can watch recordings of some past Hugo Award ceremonies. (The same page will stream the 2014 Hugo Award Ceremonies on Sunday night.)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

G33, maybe you can help with this...there use to be a sort of "anti-hugo", very unofficial, I can't recall the name of it, and can't find the book I read about it in (I know it's on my shelves somewhere). Think of it as the Rasberry Award of SF, given by the elect of fandom (or at least the pimpled-face teens calling themselves that at the time) for the worst of the year. Do you know anything about it?

Being we voted on the Retros, it might be fun to do our own vote for the Hall of Shame, I say we call our "award" The Rusty Robot. Hey, maybe we can have our own end-of-the-summer Con, our own awards, the whole ball of wax...all held on the boards of course....