Into the Forest discussion

Film/TV /Radio Adaptations > Into the Woods (2014)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Aug 01, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments "A witch conspires to teach important lessons to various characters of popular children's stories including Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel."

Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Chris Pine, Emily Blunt, Anna Kendrick, James Corden

US release date 12/25/2014

Teaser trailer now available: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3549 comments Mod
This is my favorite musical, so I will definitely be watching this. I believe you can stream the stage version on Netflix in the U.S. You used to be able to watch it on youtube too, but I can no longer find it. The stage version starring Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason is so wonderful!

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie | 236 comments Thanks for posting the link to this trailer. It's one of my favorite musicals, too -- can't wait to see it on the big screen!

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments I didn't realize this was based on a musical.

Margaret, thanks for the heads up about Netflix! It's currently only listed on DVD side, not instant, but I added it to my DVD queue.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

I bet they changed the status when it was scheduled for release as a movie.

I hope you like it!

message 6: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I just saw the trailer, looks interesting. Don't know the musical. Will have to look up the story.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 36 comments The play is currently not on Netflix because it was recently re-released on DVD. :/ But it will probably be back soon. I loved the play (especially Bernadette Peters's part!) and am excited to see the movie (will hopefully see it this weekend?). I just hope it's not too terrible -- I tend to find that movie adaptations are rarely as good as the play.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Kirsten wrote: "The play is currently not on Netflix because it was recently re-released on DVD. :/ But it will probably be back soon. I loved the play (especially Bernadette Peters's part!) and am excited to see ..."

I watched it a couple of days ago, and no, it's not as good as the play, but it's still fun. I enjoyed it overall. Let me know what you think!

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 214 comments I liked it too!

message 10: by Margaret (new)

I've had the songs stuck in my head for a week now! But then, I keep listening to the soundtrack, so that's probably why:)

message 11: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 29, 2015 09:40PM) (new)

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 36 comments So I completely missed the movie in theaters (my theater is terrible and only tends to keep movies for about three days or so). I'm going to have to wait for it to come out on DVD. I might go ahead and just buy it; I bought the Sweeney Todd movie even though it was much worse than the play, and I'm sure Into the Woods is better than that (I hope). My library will probably get a copy, though, so I may not buy it right away... Not sure. :)

Margaret wrote: "I've had the songs stuck in my head for a week now! But then, I keep listening to the soundtrack, so that's probably why:)"

Maybe I should buy the movie soundtrack and listen to it. :) I have the original cast recording for the play, but the songs are what matter for the movie, anyway.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Kirsten wrote: "So I completely missed the movie in theaters (my theater is terrible and only tends to keep movies for about three days or so). I'm going to have to wait for it to come out on DVD. I might go ahead..."

In the states, you can listen to the entire soundtrack on youtube for free. You can also listen to the play version with Bernadette Peters, and while both are good, the play version is better (Bernadette Peters is always amazing!).

message 13: by Robert (last edited Apr 14, 2015 09:31PM) (new)

Robert (robtbower) I am a Sondheim fan and particularly like Into The Woods, so I was thrilled to see this done as a movie. I loved it. The critics were not as taken as I though. I have seen it twice on stage, once on video (the Broadway production with Bernadette Peters and the 2014 movie version. I also have the sound track. Some songs were not included in movie (Agony-reprise), but may be on the DVD as deleted scenes. This show is not only hilarious, but quite thought-provoking: the blame song, Cinderella's dilemma, etc. Don't miss it in at least one of it's versions.