The Professor Life Book Club discussion

New Book Recs for July!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Macy (new)

Macy Skipworth (theprofessorlife) | 13 comments Mod
Hey, all! This book club has been so much fun to keep up with. Since I’m a terrible human, I havent chimed in yet because I’m working my way through the books slowly, BUT I love reading everyone’s reactions and responses!

It’s almost the end of June, so it’s about time to start thinking of what we will read for July.

This thread is for recommendations on our next book (s)! Also, let’s talk about if we want to just choose one that everyone will read or if we want to split it into fiction and non-fiction like we did this last month.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

My initial thoughts:
- I say this time we try and pick one book so we can have all 46 of us talking about the same thing!
- Maybe the Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead? I’ve heard good things.

P.S. This definitely isn’t an exclusive book club. Invite friends and reader buddies to join in...it’s a no pressure read at your own pace kind of thing!

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (foxie_wilde) | 6 comments I have heard really good things about 'The Underground Railroad' too! I would definitely be up for reading fiction this time, something to relax to before bed! Personally, I feel it would be nice if we all read the same book this time, so I can get to know the others who read the other book to me last time. But I don't mind too much what everyone else decides 😊

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davison (sedavison) | 4 comments I had so much fun with Big Magic this month but I do think I'd rather go for fiction for July, and I definitely agree about having a bigger discussion everyone is involved in. I've just had a look at Underground Railroad and it looks great, think I might order it anyway (who knew this book club would be a bookworm enabler!)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyjay94) | 5 comments Just choosing one book sounds like a great plan! Even if we don’t end up reading The Underground Railroad I’m going to request it from my library because it sounds really interesting.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (adeutsch) | 4 comments This may just be me...but I’ve tried reading Underground Railroad and wasn’t a huge fan of the writing. I have a ton of books on my to read list. The Monk of Mokha by Dave Eggers sounds super interesting, is pretty new (this year), and I haven’t heard much hype yet. Maybe it could be an alternative?

message 6: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Rocha | 4 comments I loved Big Magic. But like said before, I’m ready for the change. Let’s do it!

message 7: by Dwight (new)

Dwight Davis (dwightdavis) | 4 comments Underground Railroad is next on my to-read list anyway. I adore Colson Whitehead’s writing. It’d be fantastic to read it with you all.

message 8: by Porter (new)

Porter Taylor (porterctaylor) | 4 comments Underground Railroad would be great! Homegoing and Sing, Unburied, Sing could also be fun at some point.

message 9: by Macy (new)

Good feedback so far! I think we are definitely all on the same page that we want to all read the same book. We can hear from a couple more people before we decide on the Underground Railroad for good...definitely still open to suggestions and thoughts!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Guy (meganguy) | 5 comments I’m definitely interested in reading The Underground Railroad! I love historical fiction, and from what I’ve heard this is a very poignant and hard-to-put-down book! I’m in favor of a change of pace for July!

message 11: by Macy (new)

Okay, all! It’s a go for Underground Railroad. Order/check out/borrow/shop for as you see fit! I’ll start a thread so we can go ahead and have a space for discussion.