Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Discussions & Debates > Female Cosplay

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Some criticize women and girls for dressing sexy in cosplay. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVXZS...

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 156 comments Aint nothing wrong with that! And don't anybody be saying that "fake nerd" stuff. There is nothing that says that a woman cant nerd out, and dress sexy at the same time.

message 3: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Matthew wrote: "Aint nothing wrong with that! And don't anybody be saying that "fake nerd" stuff. There is nothing that says that a woman cant nerd out, and dress sexy at the same time."

Is there such a thing as fake geek among either gender anyway? Some people like to say "you aren't geek enough" and have criteria for being geek. Which to me is ridiculous.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 156 comments Alicja wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Aint nothing wrong with that! And don't anybody be saying that "fake nerd" stuff. There is nothing that says that a woman cant nerd out, and dress sexy at the same time."

Is there ..."

Well, I understand that to some people, cosplay is just a way of getting attention and showing off. But I don't think we should be attaching qualifiers and demanding people present geek credentials. I think deep down we're all a bit geeky and the whole point of this movement (known as geekdom) is tolerance.

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 152 comments I think there's a few things to think about.

Firstly, if you're looking to purchase a costume, and the only available costumes are 'sexy' then there is no choice involved and that says quite a lot about current societal values and women. Compare this to men's costumes.

Secondly, if your default costuming impulse is 'sexy' because you're a woman, then you may have (or not) conformed to stereotyping.

Thirdly, if the character you're portraying isn't 'sexy' in their fictional life, then you may well have been sucked into societal values that suggest women are only valuable when they're being sexy, and in my opinion, you're downplaying that character's values. Not every character has to be sexy, and not every fictional character is sexy.

Fourthly, if you want to be costumed in a sexy fashion because you like dressing that way, and you're certain that you're not just conforming, then that's entirely up to you, so go for it. That's your right.

My biggest concern is that too often sexy is the default for some female cosplayers, because they see that as the only way to be accepted in the cosplay world.

Just as an exercise, I popped Captain America Costumes and clicked on the first link. Have a look at the images, poses and types of costume.

http://deltasdazzlingcostumes.com.au/...

message 6: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments To your first point, most cosplayers I know make their own costumes, or at least modify them like crazy. But I do get that the availability for women in non-sexy costumes is low. That doesn't mean that a girl who dresses sexy is on default or that she doesn't have the choice (especially since, like I said, most cosplayers make or modify greatly their own costumes so they change them as they please... I also know a few female cosplayers that dress like male characters and not a sexed up female version).

I just think too many female cosplayers are just assumed to be on default sexy setting when what I've personally experienced knowing many of them (and attention conventions for over a decade) that it isn't true. Some do dress sexy, others don't. Some drag as men. Others feel that they can be sexy and powerful.

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 152 comments I may have worded my comment poorly - sorry!

Cosplayers should dress as they wish - sexy or not.

However, they shouldn't feel as if they have to dress sexy, or that sexy is always powerful. Somewhere along the line I think we've become confused.

And I agree, we should never 'assume sexy' just because someone's wearing a costume.

message 8: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Leonie wrote: "I may have worded my comment poorly - sorry!

Cosplayers should dress as they wish - sexy or not.

However, they shouldn't feel as if they have to dress sexy, or that sexy is always powerful. Some..."

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I misunderstood. In that case, I agree. :)

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 301 comments I am going to the World SF Convention in London, in a couple weeks! A friend of mine, Derek Mak, is going to dress as Kim Jong Un. Since he is a short Asian man he is right for the part. He has persuaded a number of (Caucasian) friends to be his cheerleading squad. However, for versimilitude, he has gotten me to join the team. I will wear a short sexy dress and be Mrs. King Jong Un. I plan to spend all my time clinging to his arm and saying things like, "Isn't Dear Leader wonderful?" Since I am a head taller than he (Before I put on the purple high heels) it should be very funny.

message 10: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Brenda wrote: "I am going to the World SF Convention in London, in a couple weeks! A friend of mine, Derek Mak, is going to dress as Kim Jong Un. Since he is a short Asian man he is right for the part. He has per..."

Oh, that sounds funny! I hope you have a lot of fun.

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 152 comments Brenda wrote: "I am going to the World SF Convention in London, in a couple weeks! A friend of mine, Derek Mak, is going to dress as Kim Jong Un. Since he is a short Asian man he is right for the part. He has per..."

Am officially jealous :)

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 301 comments If anyone's going to be there, you should be able to spot us -- in the hall outside the Masquerade.

message 13: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Brenda wrote: "If anyone's going to be there, you should be able to spot us -- in the hall outside the Masquerade."

If I was in London right now I'd be the happiest person on the planet. Additionally, it would also mean visiting the Doctor Who Experience (in both London and Cardiff and the Ianto Jones memorial wall). Anyhoo, I am jealous and sad I'm not there.