Tennyson’s Idylls > Secondary resources online

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lia (last edited Jun 24, 2018 06:52AM) (new) - added it

Lia | 522 comments Mod
(Thanks Ian for sharing these links)

The Growth of the Idylls of the King
by Richard Jones
https://archive.org/details/growthidy...

Idylls of the King: In Twelve Books
by Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, William James Rolfe
https://archive.org/details/idyllskin...

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 50 comments Thanks for these!

Does anyone know if there a way to download these to an android tablet? I have a kindle app and a google books app--IA looks like you have to register and then...what? You get a virtual library card? Any pointers would be appreciated!

message 3: by Lia (new) - added it

Lia | 522 comments Mod
No kidding, thanks again Ian for these!

I just scroll down and on the right hand side, there are a number of filetypes to choose from. You should be able to download pdf or kindle or epub format from a computer or android, and then send to the appropriate app/ device. (At least that's what I do with my iphone.)

Unfortunately the OCR quality is iffy, I'd recommend using the PDF files. But then it's a pain to read pdf on kindle...

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 50 comments Okay--I feel kind of sheepish I didn't have enough sense to scroll down. But I never could figure out how to 'send' the file to a device so I could read it. I made an end run instead:

https://play.google.com/store/books/d...

That's Growth of Idylls of the King, which I can get from Google play.

Thanks for the lead--I'm going to check out some of the others you have listed.

message 5: by Lia (new) - added it

Lia | 522 comments Mod
Don’t feel bad Bryan, it took me months of reading online before I figured out you can actually scroll down and download :)

I don’t have an Android; I just assumed the steps would be similar to iPhone, which is probably a risky assumption. (On iphone, I click to download, and they ask me which app I want to open the file with. You can then e-mail the file to your kindle email address, or open with the Kindle android app which will then sync with your device...)

Since you’re looking at other download options, you might want to look up The eNotated Idylls of the King as well. It’s currently free on iBooks and Barnes & Noble but not on kindle and kobo...

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Slater (yohanan) | 103 comments Bryan wrote: "Thanks for these! ... IA looks like you have to register and then...what? You get a ..."

You may have already figured out all of this, but it took me a while to catch on to a lot of it. If it all looks familiar, just skip it.

There are Internet Archive features that require an account, which, yes, is a sort of "virtual library card." This allows you to "borrow," i.e., download temporarily, books under copyright, which it has only limited permission to use. But quite often there is a waiting list for the one you want....

I never opened an Internet Archive account myself, at least that I can remember -- I hate leaving data trails (although they probably have other ways of tracking me). But I may have forgotten about it, after using it for years. (It has never asked me to sign in, even after I changed computers, so I probably didn't.)

There are also IA features like old television shows and movies you might want to see -- I now tend to stay away from these, since they used to fill up a lot of my time. I should get up and move around instead of staying fixed in front of my monitor for a couple of hours. (I do enough of that with texts, where I can easily just stop reading and come back later, with no fussing with controls.)

As Lia pointed out, the PDF files are the most reliable way to get a text from them. Especially a text with unusual characters, foreign languages, mathematical formulas, and the like, which don't survive automated OCR conversion very well. Some obvious instances of such conversion, probably taken directly from the Internet Archive, have been offered for sale on Amazon, usually very cheaply, but, given the effort it needs to read them, they aren't worth it (even if they are free).

On the other hand, some of the PDFs are very yellow, or otherwise discolored, or just dark, probably because the paper of the original was not in good shape (and possibly aggravated by the light used in the scan, I'm not too sure of the technology involved).

Fortunately, a lot of books have been uploaded from different copies in different locations, and it is sometimes possible to find a "clean copy" with diligent searching. When I want to post a direct archive.org link on Goodreads (or provide one to Lia), I try to find the best PDF if more than one is available.

The same applies to copies from damaged originals, with missing, torn, or blurred pages -- sometimes it is necessary to mix and match to get a whole book, with illustrations, and in the right order.

Some books will be offered with a PDF and a PDF "with text." If you aren't familiar with the latter, they appear to have OCR data included in the file, so the text can be searched. This sometimes produces garble, too, and I tend to get both versions, just to be on the safe side.

Most pdf versions come with an relatively easily deciphered name, even though it may be abbreviated and all run together.
The main exception is books uploaded from Cornell University, which have "cu" followed by a string of numbers. I try to remember to make a properly titled folder for these before I forget what I was looking for!

On your actual main question, I have, but don't often use, the Internet Archive app for iOS: reading on my iPhone is just too difficult for prolonged use.

There is an "unofficial" version of it for Amazon's Fire tablets, available at 99 cents: I don't have enough trust in it to load it on either of mine.

I'm also clueless about Android, but if Fire tablets, which seem to use the same technology, are an indication, the answer is probably no, or one without approval, so who knows how well it runs.

There is no IA app for Macs -- the browser will serve -- and it may be the same for PCs.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 50 comments Thanks, Ian, for the details. I'm still pretty new at downloading things--I don't mind using an e-reader for something very hard to find otherwise and which I want to read right away, or something that I'm pretty confident I wouldn't want to keep in a physical copy anyway, but I'd rather read stuff from my actual bookshelves than from my virtual ones. So I'm still kind of learning how to get it from my laptop (which I rarely take anywhere) to my LG tablet, which I take out to the boat with me while I'm on my 28 day trip.

message 8: by Lia (new) - added it

Lia | 522 comments Mod
28 day boat trip ... I recommend Moses' water-proof tablet with large fonts (But you can only get it from the mountain top.)

Since you do have a tablet, I highly recommend trying a tablet reader app. https://pdf.wondershare.com/mobile-ap... Obviously, you can also download the free Kindle app and email the PDF to your account, it would even sync across devices. But kindle annotation function is rudimentary, and I really really like writing/ highlighting on my PDF (on tablet.)

Ian: for iPhone, I bought the HDMI converter dongle and mirror my phone screen onto a 50" TV while I become one with the la-Z-boy at home. It's actually really really nice. You can also put it on text to speech and it flips page on its own. (I feel like I've invented a new level of decadence ...)

message 9: by Ian (last edited Jun 25, 2018 10:59PM) (new)

Ian Slater (yohanan) | 103 comments Sounds great! Alas, my desk-top monitor is larger than my aging "portable" television, so viewing media from Internet Archive is easier on that than anything else I have.