Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Bear and the Nightingale (The Winternight Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Bear and the Nightingale
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy #1) by Katherine Arden → Start Date: August 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Join Kikijanika and me as we read The Bear and the Nightingale. :)

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Thanks for making the thread!

Sophie Oh! I'm in, I've been meaning to read this book forever.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Sophie wrote: "Oh! I'm in, I've been meaning to read this book forever."

Awesome! Welcome Sophie. 😀

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Great ☺

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) mind if I join in on this one? I've been planning to read this since it came out.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Great, Taylor! We would love for you to join us. :)

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim M | 32 comments I've never done a buddy read and I'm not quite sure how it works, but I'd love to join this one if I can!

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Yes, of course you can Kim. Usually we just read and discuss the book. Sometimes we decide to leave comments for example every five or ten chapters, and sometimes we just comment whenever we feel like it.

message 10: by P.O.G (new)

P.O.G | 219 comments Can I join?

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Yes, of course Esther!

message 12: by Kikijanika (last edited Aug 25, 2018 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Are you people ready to start? I'll probably start tonight ☺

message 13: by P.O.G (new)

P.O.G | 219 comments Yes! I’m starting in a few, but I’m a slow reader I hope that’s nit gonna be a problem

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) I'm still waiting for my copy to come in at the library. it's in transit now so I should have it in a couple days

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments I don't think I'll have time today but I'll start tomorrow for sure.

Kikijanika | 3015 comments I have several other books I need to read as well so don't worry about reading slowly ☺

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) how would you guys like to do this? I've done other buddy reads where we discussed every few chapters and then there were some that I've done where we just checked in every once in a while.

message 18: by Kikijanika (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3015 comments I don't really mind. I've done it both ways. The book seems to have 28 chapters so how about posting after chapter 10 and 20 and then after you finish? And you can post more often if you feel like it or something happens in the story you want to comment on.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Sounds good to me. I have a ton of work projects that I need to finish, so I'll be making slow progress. I was able to read chapter 1 yesterday and I don't think I'll have much time to continue reading today.

message 21: by Kikijanika (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Chapter 10

What I like about this story is that it doesn't seem to be a clear re-telling of one tale, like Vasilisa the beautiful. Instead it seems to have influences of many different tales like the one about a firebird, the story of Ivan and the gray wolf and Vasilisa the beautiful. I don't know the story of Frost but I bet it's based on some folktale. I wonder if we'll meet Baba Yaga and her house on chicken legs 😁

(view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) just got my copy from the library will be starting it tonight!

message 23: by Katriann (last edited Aug 31, 2018 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Great, Taylor. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I just finished chapter 11 so I'm going to comment now instead of after chapter 10.

Kikijanika: I think Baba Yaga was mentioned in passing at least. I seem to recall sometimes reading that the sequel The Girl in the Tower is based on Snegurochka (The Snow Maiden). I think I'm gonna have to read that one because I like Snegurochka. :D

I was wondering about the (view spoiler)

Were Anna Ivanovna and Vasya's mother (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Oh well, then I will definitely need to read the second book!

I have a feeling (view spoiler)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments I finished chapter 15 and I just want to say that (view spoiler)

message 26: by Kikijanika (last edited Sep 05, 2018 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Yeah (view spoiler)

I'm done with chapter 20.

(view spoiler)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments I just finished chapter 20, too.

Yes, (view spoiler)

I'm a little confused about (view spoiler)

I guess Vasya (view spoiler)

message 28: by Kikijanika (last edited Sep 10, 2018 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 3015 comments I finished.

Honestly about the (view spoiler)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments I'm in chapter 27. I'll get back here when I finish the book.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments I finished this last night.

Yes, the author (view spoiler)

I'm not sure about (view spoiler)

I liked the ending of the book. (view spoiler)

I'm a nerd and (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Yeah I actually read the (view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) I'm a bit behind as I've only just gotten to chapter 14. I know you guys are finished but I'll probably still make comments as I get to the parts you guys talked about. (view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) Katriann wrote: "I finished chapter 15 and I just want to say that [spoilers removed]"

I totally agree! (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Sure Taylor! I'd love to read your thoughts as you go on! It could be true what you said about (view spoiler)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Yes, I'd love to read your comments too, Taylor! I think you might be (view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) Kikijanika wrote: "Yeah [spoilers removed]

I'm done with chapter 20.

Things do not look good. Whatever this evil "brother" is, it looks like he's using Konstantin now and Konstantin obeys him because he thinks tha..."

I wonder about the people to in regards to that. (view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) Katriann wrote: "I just finished chapter 20, too.

Yes, [spoilers removed]

I'm a little confused about [spoilers removed]

I guess Vasya [spoilers removed]"

I think that was (view spoiler)

Gigi (imaginingbetweenthepages) (imaginingbetweenthepages) So I just finished the book and I liked the way it ended but I feel sad about everything. (view spoiler) Now to get my hands on the second book!

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2192 comments Oh wow! You were fast, Taylor! Yes, there are a lot of things that could be elaborated on in the second and third book. My edition of the book had a sneak preview of The Girl in the Tower. I think the (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 3015 comments Yeah (view spoiler)