Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

General > The Books of Summer

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AACPL (last edited Aug 04, 2014 09:07AM) (new)

AACPL Anne Arundel Public Library | 180 comments Mod
It's hard to believe August is here and that summer is almost over! What was your favorite "beach read" this year? Are there any you're still excited to read before summer ends?

10 commenters on this post will win copies of our One Maryland One Book selection, "The Distance Between Us!" Drawing to be held August 13. Winners must be Anne Arundel County Public Library cardholders, and be able to pick up their book at an AACPL branch.

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
I'm reading Night, by Eli Weisel and This Stat Won't Go Out by Esther Earl. Not exactly 'beach reads' but both on my ToReadList and both, in each their own way, very, very good books.

message 3: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1 comments So far my favorite beach read was The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes but I still have a month of beach reading to go. Looking forward to reading Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies.

message 4: by Janice (last edited Aug 04, 2014 08:51AM) (new)

Janice Allen | 8 comments I am currently reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. I have barely started it, but it seems like it will shape up to be a good one. I also enjoyed The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes, and Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberley McCreight. Another recent read was Danielle Steel's Power Play. Although her books follow the same sort of formula, and I find her writing to be annoyingly repetitive at times, I have enjoyed reading nearly all of her books over the years. and a little bit of fluff in a quick read is sometimes a good thing.

message 5: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4 comments The Sex Lives of Cannibals is perfect for the beach! A Hundred Summers is also a great one. I am taking Mating for Life to the beach tomorrow.

message 6: by Lisa C (new)

Lisa C (tk42) | 2 comments I'm having a great time re-visiting my love of historical mysteries and am very excited to have found a new "non-cozy" Victorian mystery series. It's even written by an American librarian! Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas is the first in the series. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

message 7: by Cathy (last edited Aug 04, 2014 10:01AM) (new)

Cathy (librariesrock) | 1 comments I'm reading The Collector by Nora Roberts. My other goal for the summer is Do or Die by Suzanne Brockmann. I hope to get enough beach time (or at least porch time) to get through both of them in the next few weeks!

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina Borgoyn (amaranthinelover) While trying to finish my own book for publication, I am reading K.A. Tucker's series, Ten Tiny Breaths, which I have been waiting forever to read and finally was able to get my hands on all the books.

message 9: by Deana (new)

Deana I really enjoyed the library's suggestion of Instructions for a Heatwave and I also found myself engrossed in Elin Hilderbrand's The Blue Bistro-about a restaurant's business and personal side set on the beach. It was fun reading a beach themed novel while on the beach!

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hansew) I read (and loved) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty!

message 11: by Mariann (new)

Mariann (marihawk) | 1 comments I'm enjoying Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Trovinger Raith | 2 comments Just bought a Jack Reacher paperback by Lee Child called Persuader to read on vacation this month

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) It seems so obvious... The Vacationers.

I also enjoyed One Plus One which was mentioned above.

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments I always have a long wish list of books I would like to read. So far this summer I've been re-reading a lot of my favorites, however I am currently reading Alice I Have Beenand Fangirl. And I'm looking forward to reading Under the Wide and Starry Sky.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (viaggiatrice) | 70 comments Mod
I'm loving everything by Rainbow Rowell right now! Are you on the list for her new one, Landline?

Amber wrote: "I always have a long wish list of books I would like to read. So far this summer I've been re-reading a lot of my favorites, however I am currently reading Alice I Have Beenand [book..."

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

I need to read some Jojo Moyes. I keep hearing about her!

Hannah wrote: "I read (and loved) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty!"

message 17: by April (new)

April | 3 comments I just finished Charmed and Dangerous by Candace Havens. I really enjoyed it. A nice light read; perfect for beach.

message 18: by April (new)

April | 3 comments Terry wrote: "So far my favorite beach read was The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes but I still have a month of beach reading to go. Looking forward to reading Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies."

I looked that book up, it looks like an entertaining book!

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Of course I had to read the newest Diana Gabaldon. I also just finished "The Johnstown Girls," which I enjoyed, but probably would have benefited from some more editing. I'm now reading the Jennifer Weiner before I start the One Maryland One Book selection for September's discussion!

message 20: by Shaw Girl (new)

Shaw Girl (Shaw_Girl) | 4 comments I'm really enjoying The Good House by Ann Leary. Eccentric characters and frothy fun! I've run into a spat of bad Gone Girl ripoffs recently, so The Good House was a welcome change.

message 21: by Deana (new)

Deana Oh! That's on my to read list!

message 22: by Gail (new)

Gail Schumacher | 62 comments Last summer I began reading all 12 of Anya Seton's historical fiction books---this summer I'm still continuing on The Irish Country Doctor series, which I began this year; also this year I started The Cat Who mystery books---I don't like taking library books anywhere except at home---Bladensburg Public Library didn't like us kids doing that because we could lose or damage it---making us pay fines or a replacement or library suspension for at least a month---I always took a paperback I got at a yard sale or church bazaar.

message 23: by Deb (new)

Deb | 1 comments I loved the Husband's Secret too. It really portrays how the truth of a situation is different for everyone involved and how different everyone's reality is perceived. I also enjoyed All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner - an entertaining and somewhat sad account of how easily it is for a even happy and successful people to fall into a life of addiction and how extremely difficult it is to get back out.

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hansew) Stephanie wrote: "I need to read some Jojo Moyes. I keep hearing about her!

Hannah wrote: "I read (and loved) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty!""

After reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, I read her books Last Letter from Your Lover, The Girl You Left Behind, and am now reading One Plus One... She's fantastic! I hope you check her out :)

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hansew) Deb wrote: "I loved the Husband's Secret too. It really portrays how the truth of a situation is different for everyone involved and how different everyone's reality is perceived. I also enjoyed All Fall Dow..."

That's beautifully put about The Husband's Secret... Have you read Big Little Lies by her as well? It has gotten rave reviews.

message 26: by Shaw Girl (new)

Shaw Girl (Shaw_Girl) | 4 comments Hannah wrote: "Deb wrote: "I loved the Husband's Secret too. It really portrays how the truth of a situation is different for everyone involved and how different everyone's reality is perceived. I also enjoyed ..."

I so enjoyed The Husband's Secret. I'll have to add Big Little Lies to my to-read list!

message 27: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 1 comments I am currently reading Rush for the Gold: Mystery at the Olympic Games. I am a swimmer (though nowhere on he caliber of the main character Susan Carol) and really loving the book!

message 28: by Janice (new)

Janice Allen | 8 comments Okay...I just finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. This book is a rollicking good time. The prologue has a hook that will capture you, and it's nothing but pure entertainment after that. An American born Chinese girl falls in love with an extremely wealthy Chinese man, in New York City. She doesn't know about his wealth, and goes back to China with him for the summer, only to be turned into mincemeat by his gossiping, malicious relatives. The end is tear-inducing and satisfying. I loved this book!

message 29: by Merry (new)

Merry | 12 comments There are so many good books out there! One of my favorites from this summer is Calling Me Home. It relates the story of two women, who through an unlikely friendship, find themselves on a long road trip together. As 89-year-old Isabelle's story of her youth is told, you find yourself experiencing a range of emotions: from anger that she had been so selfish as a 16-year old, to envy for the love she found, to horror for society's mores than make it so difficult for two people who love each other. Her companion, Dorrie, a single mother of two, is struggling with her own issues. The friendship between the two grows stronger during their trip; by the end of the book, I'd be surprised if tears aren't rolling down your cheeks.

message 30: by T.M. (new)

T.M. Carper (tm_carper) | 6 comments Christina wrote: "While trying to finish my own book for publication, I am reading K.A. Tucker's series, Ten Tiny Breaths, which I have been waiting forever to read and finally was able to get my hands on all the bo..."

I'm working on that series, too! Just started book 3. I had to wait a long time for book 2 to come in while 3 and 4 sat on a pile of books mocking me.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

I will, thank you!

Hannah wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I need to read some Jojo Moyes. I keep hearing about her!

Hannah wrote: "I read (and loved) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty!""

After read..."

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

That sounds great!

Merry wrote: "There are so many good books out there! One of my favorites from this summer is Calling Me Home. It relates the story of two women, who through an unlikely friendship, find themselves on a long roa..."

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

This one sounds great, too! There are some fantastic recommendations on this list. Janice wrote: "Okay...I just finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. This book is a rollicking good time. The prologue has a hook that will capture you, and it's nothing but pure entertainment after that. An Am..."

message 34: by AACPL (new)

And we have 10 winners! Terry, Janice, Christina, Deana, Debbie, Amber, April, Gail, Deb, and Merry -- please inbox this account your full name and library card numbers for verification, as well as the branch you'd like to pick up your copy of "The Distance Between Us" at. I'll get them out ASAP so you can start reading for September's book discussion!

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Tammy wrote: "I'm reading Night, by Eli Weisel and This Stat Won't Go Out by Esther Earl. Not exactly 'beach reads' but both on my ToReadList and both, in each their own way, very, very good books."

"Night" was amazing. It's a trilogy. I plan to read "Dawn" and "Day" before the end of the year. I already have them. I met a holocaust survivor earlier this year when I attended her book signing, Margot Friedlander.

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hannah wrote: "I read (and loved) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty!"

I look forward to your thoughts on "The Husbands Secret." People seem to love it. Me, not so much. I felt like one of the characters could've been left out of the book all together.

message 38: by Deana (new)

Deana Thank you and congrats to all!

message 39: by Janice (new)

Janice Allen | 8 comments AACPL wrote: "And we have 10 winners! Terry, Janice, Christina, Deana, Debbie, Amber, April, Gail, Deb, and Merry -- please inbox this account your full name and library card numbers for verification, as well as..."
If I could figure out how to 'inbox' you, I would reply! I prowled all over the site and couldn't figure it out. Give me a hint and I'll provide the info...I never win anything, so I was thrilled =)

message 40: by Deana (new)

Deana Janice, here's how I did it: click the library's icon picture and then it will take you to their page. Up near their picture is a link that says "Send message." Hope that helps!

message 41: by AACPL (new)

Thanks Deana! You're right, that's exactly how to message us. Janice, let me know if you still have problems finding it!

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Six of the 10 books have been sent out and should arrive today or Monday. Still waiting to hear from four people! :)

message 43: by Deana (new)

Deana You're welcome!

message 44: by April (new)

April | 3 comments I'm assuming I'm the April. It says to inbox the account, not sure how to do that?

message 45: by Deana (new)

Deana here's how I did it: click the library's icon picture and then it will take you to their page. Up near their picture is a link that says "Send message." Hope that helps

message 46: by Christina (new)

Christina Borgoyn (amaranthinelover) it was nice to meet the author of the distance between us today

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Cool! At the Baltimore Book Festival?

Christina wrote: "it was nice to meet the author of the distance between us today"