New Adult Book Club discussion

Renee Ericson
This topic is about Renee Ericson
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Renee Ericson Q&A

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments

This week we have much loved Author Renee Ericson with us. Renee is the author of More Than Water, After Tuesday, Forgotten Yesterday, These Days Series.

Renee is here all week taking your questions. Leave your Question/s for Renee below

message 2: by April (new)

April Baker (aprilbaker635) | 13 comments How did you choose the plots and characters? These books look awesome❤

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lundergn | 2 comments What is your favorite part of the writing process?

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Who is your absolute favorite character, that you’ve ever written or read?

message 5: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 532 comments I absolutely LOVED More Than Water (More Than Kisses and More Than Us were amazing as well!!)!
Are you working on a new project now?

message 6: by Elle P. (new)

Elle P. Golden | 186 comments writing a book is, among other things, an amazing creative process! what are your tricks when you have a block at writing/creating??

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments April wrote: "How did you choose the plots and characters? These books look awesome❤"

Hi April! Thanks so much for the question. I would like to say that I chose the plots and characters, but in actuality, they chose me. For both of these stories, they were ones that had been floating around in my mind for years. It wasn't until many years after I first thought of them, that I tackled putting them to paper. I tend to dwell and live with characters and plots for a long time before I like to explore their stories in full.

Thanks so much!

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Samantha wrote: "What is your favorite part of the writing process?"

Hi Samantha,

I would have to say my favorite part is starting a new story. It's so invigorating jumping into new world with new people, a lot like going on a rollercoaster. The beginning, is like that part where you are the the summit of the big hill and finally let go, allowing yourself to enjoy the ride.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Grace wrote: "Who is your absolute favorite character, that you’ve ever written or read?"

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the question. I would have to say my favorite character I've ever written is EJ from More Than Water. She's basically my spirit animal. I think she and I would be best friends. As for my favorite character I've ever read, I think it would have to be Ruth from a Widow For One Year by John Irving. Her story and strength has always resonated strongly with me.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Chiara wrote: "I absolutely LOVED More Than Water (More Than Kisses and More Than Us were amazing as well!!)!
Are you working on a new project now?"

Hi Chiara,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with EJ and Foster. I love them as well. As for projects I'm working on right now, I don't have a novel I'm working on fully at the moment. I have many stories I'm still exploring, but none I'm committing to at this time. I'm still waiting for one of the to scream at me, "It's MY turn." This past year however, I have been working on a series of anthologies that are aimed toward raising monies for various charities. It's been a fun and very fulfilling process. They are called the What Happens anthologies. So far, we've released a holiday, spring break, and wedding anthology. We have another due out at the end of the year.

Thanks so much stopping by!

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments MiDouradoP wrote: "writing a book is, among other things, an amazing creative process! what are your tricks when you have a block at writing/creating??"

Hi MiDouradoP,

I don't think I necessarily have any tricks. I find that writing blocks usually means I'm over thinking things too much, so I'll often take a step back. Get outside. Work on a different hands-on project, or read a book. Often a block means I need a break, so I give myself one. I have a theory that better writing happens through living, rather than sitting (at a computer).

Thanks for coming by!

message 12: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ | 71 comments What do you love to do to relax?

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Steffi wrote: "What do you love to do to relax?"

Hi Steffi! Relaxing for me is actually not something I do in a traditional manner. I’m kind of a perpetual motion machine and relaxing my body actually leaves me feeling anxious. I do excerise a lot though and that really helps to relax my mind. I occasionally do a Netflix binge and live for a great series readin g binge.

message 14: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Cannavina | 57 comments What’s next for you?

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Whitney wrote: "What’s next for you?"

Hi Whitney! Thanks for stopping by. Right now, the only thing form on my writing schedule is a holiday anthology that I organize for charity. I have a few longer stories floating through my head, but none are in a place yet that I have a firm release date.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Who are some of your favorite authors?

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Nicole wrote: "Who are some of your favorite authors?"

Hi Nicole! I love Maggie Stiefvater and Deborah Harkness. I’m also a big fan of John Irving. I love everything that Joanna Shupe has written as well. Oh, and Katie McGarry. I love prose and intelligence in stories.

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (exbuffalo2001) | 198 comments What is your "must have" when you are in writing mode?

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Cassie wrote: "What is your "must have" when you are in writing mode?"

Hi Cassie! Oh, this one is so easy to answer for me. I didn't even have to think. CHIPS! All the salty, yummy chips. They keep me going. I love them.

message 20: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments J. wrote: "If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?"

Hi J. Gah, this is a tough one, but the first character that came to mind was Diana from A Discovery of Witches. I'm not sure if it's because the TV series trailer was released today, but I do LOVE her. She's amazing. Her powers aside, she has great internal strength, is able to grow, and is highly intelligent. Not to mention...she has Matthew.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Katherine (emkaybee24) | 107 comments what's your favorite snack while you write? (if any)

message 23: by Margaux (new)

Margaux Espinosa (margauxespi) what is your writing process? Do you write from beginning to end, write scenes as they come to you, do you write an outline, or do you write yourself notes and add random scenes into the parts of the story you've already started writing?

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Emily wrote: "what's your favorite snack while you write? (if any)"

Hi Emily! Chips! All the chips. Salty and yummy!

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Margaux wrote: "what is your writing process? Do you write from beginning to end, write scenes as they come to you, do you write an outline, or do you write yourself notes and add random scenes into the parts of t..."

Hi Margaux! I have a very long process. Usually, it's a lot of drafting and sorting in my head before I start. Then I tend to write the beginning scene or two to get a feel for the story and characters. Once that feels good, I write a loose outline to follow to keep me on track and I basically write from point A to B, until it's done. I don't really do rewrites. I write a chapter at a time, usually one a day for a month or two until it's done, and have real-time readers look at it as I go. It's a pretty intense process, but it works best for me. I can't do random scenes here and there. I have to live with the characters and their journey from beginning to end.

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine S. (katy2ish) | 118 comments What’s your favorite book of all time?

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Katherine wrote: "What’s your favorite book of all time?"

Hi Katherine! Gah! Who can answer that? LOL. I don't know. I think I would have to say A Widow for One Year by John Irving. Only because it's kind of the book that really got me back into reading. I read it in my early twenties, after college. Before that book, I didn't do much recreational reading. But after reading and loving it, it's but nothing but book love since. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant is high on that list along with A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

message 28: by S.Shade (new)

S.Shade | 170 comments Did you read a lot as a child or in your teens?

message 29: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments S.Shade wrote: "Did you read a lot as a child or in your teens?"

Hi S.Shade. Thanks for your question. Actually, I didn't read much as a child or as a teen. Most of my reading was done academically. I was also a competitive dancer growing up, so there wasn't much time for recreational reading outside of rehearsing 6 days a week and regular schooling. I'm so glad I was able to find joy in it later however, outside of academia.

message 30: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Dehart | 133 comments Which author would you love to co-write with?

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Katrina wrote: "Which author would you love to co-write with?"

Hi Katrina! This is easy for me to answer because we already have plans to do so. Amber L. Johnson. She and I will be working on a YA story in the future. We wrote and released a short story a few months ago for an anthology and it was a blast.

message 32: by Ronnie~ (last edited Jun 27, 2018 09:26PM) (new)

Ronnie~ (ronixwritesofficial) | 24 comments Hi, Miss Renee! How long did it take you to finish the entire book? And oh, it's a series! (The blurb and the cover are so interesting. Can't wait to read the entire series!)

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Ronnie wrote: "Hi, Miss Renee! How long did it take you to finish the entire book? And oh, it's a series! (The blurb and the cover are so interesting. Can't wait to read the entire series!)"

Hi Ronnie! Start to finish, this includes the writing and edits and time of release and marketing for release, More Than Water took about six months. 2-3 of that was drafting the actual book. The These Days series start to finishing was right around two years. If you give them a shot, I hope you enjoy! Thanks!

message 34: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Which book was your favourite when you were a child?

message 35: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 237 comments Hello... I love More than Water...amazing book...

Did someone who proofread or edit your book changed your voice in any of books you have written? If so how did you worded that out?

What is your proudest moment writing some of your characters?

xx

message 36: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Irma wrote: "Which book was your favourite when you were a child?"

Hi Irma! My favorite book as a child, super young, was The Velveteen Rabbit. Obviously, a profound classic, but I loved that rabbit so much. In my teens, I read a lot of Shakespeare’s works. A Comedy of Errors was my fave!

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Antonella wrote: "Hello... I love More than Water...amazing book...

Did someone who proofread or edit your book changed your voice in any of books you have written? If so how did you worded that out?

What is your ..."

Hi Antonella! So glad you enjoyed More Than Water. That book was such a joy to write.

My voice when I write tends to be very strong and I’ve never had anyone try to change that in my writing or for my characters. My characters tend to be so real in my mind, I know them well. If anything, sometimes I have to explain to the reader why they are the way they are, but the voice is never altered.

I think writing EJ’s character was my proudest moment. I knew she was different. She’s more the side character one reads in stories, especially with her personality, but giving her a voice was so satisfying and a little daring for me. She’s bold and has no filter. I was so proud to learn how well she was revived by readers. I really feared she would be judged harshly for her mouth and her issues, given her upbringing, but so many found her relatable, just as I did.

message 38: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 237 comments Renee wrote: "Antonella wrote: "Hello... I love More than Water...amazing book...

Did someone who proofread or edit your book changed your voice in any of books you have written? If so how did you worded that o..."

Thank you for your answers...

message 39: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 758 comments If you can spend one day with one of your characters, who would you choose and what would you do?

message 40: by Renee (new)

Renee | 19 comments Hanne wrote: "If you can spend one day with one of your characters, who would you choose and what would you do?"

Hi Hanne! Wow, I had to think pretty hard about this one. My first instinct was to say Foster or EJ, but honestly, they are best together and I would need them both. And the question is for one. So, that would be Wolfie. He’s kind of amazing and hilarious. I would probably beg him to paint me, or brush my hair.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.