Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta Reader

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Jun 24, 2018 03:11PM) (new)

Kelly (kellyj42) | 4 comments Hi, I'm new at this but I'd love to gain experience and read your work, hopefully being able to offer tips that are helpful to you! I've loved reading and writing my entire life, I have experience editing my own work so I do have some background with that. I'm open to any genres as the moment!

Edit: I completely forgot that I have to send in my laptop to Apple to get my keyboard repaired this week, meaning I'll be out of a laptop until early July which may mean I'll take a little longer getting back to anyone looking for a beta reader before then.

message 2: by C.V. (new)

C.V. Gregorchuk (cvgregorchuk) Hi Kelly, I have a finished YA Fantasy fiction I would love to get your honest feedback on!
Here is the blurb, please let me know if you’re interested or not :)

Magic and Power... Dragons. These are the things of books and movies... of other worlds. They aren’t real. They can’t be real.

Mia wishes for the days when she truly believed that. Days when her biggest worry was whether or not she’d be accepted into the university of her choice. But that was before...

Before her reflection started playing tricks on her in store windows. Before she was unceremoniously ripped from her family and friends and dumped in a place she can’t escape from. A place where no one can reach her. Nethea,

Thrust into a world where Dragons exist and magic is Power, Mia must find a way to accept the role she’s been Chosen to fulfill. A role that seems more and more likely to claim her life as she uncovers the staggering odds stacked against her. If she can do it...if she can rise above the grief and anger that plague her heart and save Nethea from the dark fate waiting in the claws of a monster... Then maybe, just maybe she’ll get to go home again.

Can Mia find the will and the courage to defend and protect a world she doesn’t belong to? Will she take up the heavy mantle of the Guardians of Nethea?

Thanks!

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert J | 6 comments Hi Kelly, I have a completed Mystery/Thriller novel. 225kb file 95k words. Has been proofread but not professionally copy-edited. The blurb:

Tucker Miera is at a crossroads.

He left his job last year after losing the woman who raised him, his beloved Gran. Gran devised provisions in her will for the family to vote on what to do with the businesses, properties and Tucker's birthright: Miera Ranch. The love of Tucker's life, Marla, is 1600 miles away doing a job she loves when his former fiancee brings a job offer to search for a “treasure.” A local author has written a book hinting where he's hidden this treasure—somewhere in the Southwest. The elements have claimed the life of 2 treasure hunters. Add to the mix, bullets fired at him and his cousin and no one is sure if it's revenge or to keep Tucker from finding the treasure.

Tucker has to figure out if the treasure is real, keep the former fiancee more than an arm's length away, get the family vote to go his way while trying to figure out what to do with his life. And make sure Marla knows how much he loves her. And needs her.

With humor and a setting in Santa Fe, New Mexico Tucker sets out to discover the truth. He has more questions than answers, paths that circle more than the roads surrounding the downtown Plaza, and decisions that affect family, friends. Without A Doubt tells the story of a man thrust into a situation he didn't choose, using abilities that everyone knows he has, except maybe Tucker himself.

I can work with Google Docs. or whatever format you prefer. I understand if you can't because of other commitments.

Thank you

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyj42) | 4 comments C.V. wrote: "Hi Kelly, I have a finished YA Fantasy fiction I would love to get your honest feedback on!
Here is the blurb, please let me know if you’re interested or not :)

Magic and Power... Dragons. These a..."

I would love to! You can send it to my e-mail kellyannjarvis42@gmail.com

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyj42) | 4 comments Robert wrote: "Hi Kelly, I have a completed Mystery/Thriller novel. 225kb file 95k words. Has been proofread but not professionally copy-edited. The blurb:

He left his job ..."

My e-mail is kellyannjarvis42@gmail.com :)

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert J | 6 comments Kelly wrote: "Robert wrote: "Hi Kelly, I have a completed Mystery/Thriller novel. 225kb file 95k words. Has been proofread but not professionally copy-edited. The blurb:

H..."

What format would you like?

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyj42) | 4 comments Robert wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Robert wrote: "Hi Kelly, I have a completed Mystery/Thriller novel. 225kb file 95k words. Has been proofread but not professionally copy-edited. The blurb:

Tucker Miera is at a cro..."

If you could do .mobi that would be best because I completely forgot I have to send my laptop in and will be without it for awhile, meaning my response to you might take a little longer than I originally expected.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert J | 6 comments Kelly wrote: "Robert wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Robert wrote: "Hi Kelly, I have a completed Mystery/Thriller novel. 225kb file 95k words. Has been proofread but not professionally copy-edited. The blurb:

Tucker Mi..."

I've sent the file to your email. Please tell me if you have any problems with it.

message 9: by Domino (new)

Domino | 6 comments Hey there!

I got a 76k YA science fantasy about a cyborg-witch who goes on a global and interstellar quest to deliver a necklace, all while being chased by weird dudes and getting caught up in a humanity-deciding game of cat-and-mouse. Imagine Kingdom Hearts mashed with Lord of the Rings.

Sound interesting? :)

message 10: by Syntell (new)

Syntell Smith | 4 comments I have a Literary Drama I'm looking for readers to start in August, here's some information. If interested I'll send you the link for the signup.

Name- Call Numbers
Genre- Adult Realistic Drama, Literary Fiction, Slice of Life
Word count- 106,273
Chapters- 18 Chapters
Rating- R, Cussing, Racism, Teen Pregnancy, few incidents of violence and intimidation, Sex (male/female), Drinking
Trigger Warning: Racial and Homophobic Slurs
Looking to swap: Yes
Deadline- 5 weeks starting in August, would like your general thoughts, likes/dislikes etc

Blurb: Robin Walker is an Eighteen-year-old full-time college student starting at the 58th Street Branch Library. Working part-time in the afternoon through the evening, he discovers a hostile work environment with two opposing camps as they clash on various policies to serve the public. A naive and susceptible nonchalant he’s forced to take sides in the struggle of elitist versus traditionalist at the dawn of the information age.

message 11: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Lawrence (joshualawrencepike) | 9 comments Would you like to read HUMANITY IN THE DEEP? it's an 86k word novel, it has the hard Sci-Fi feel of The Expanse with strong character growth and elements of romance.

I am getting ready to start looking for Agent's and want feedback. Anything and everything wrong except for minor issues of proofreading (which I know I need to have done). To be clear I am looking for beta read's not for editing or anything else. I am most interesting in thoughts on the story structure, character growth ect.

When Roger can no longer make a living on his home planet he is forced to choose between lobotomizing himself, so a corporation can use his brain as a computer, or leaving his home. He is hired onto the Erikson, a city size construction ship heading to an uninhabited system. When at the build site the star goes nova, the Erikson is damaged and forced to flee.
In a system every record said was uninhabited they find a large human population. They assume it to be a dark colony, but this colony knows no earth language and lacks technology freely available when the first ships left earth.

First three chapters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SjXI...

message 12: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments Hello everyone,
I was thinking not very many of you know who I am. Well, my name is Ben.P.Baggett I am a fantasy published author. I have 5 books written and one up on Amazon. My fifth book is Ivar: Blood&Steel. This one will be up soon and I could not be more excited about this.
Ivar: Blood and Steel follows a young Prince that is thusted into an age old conflict. His father and home are destroyed leaving him, his mother and his older sister stuck in the world alone.
He is captured by the enemy and is forced into a labor military camp under the nose of the leaders. There he learns the ways of war and how to be a killer. He loves it.
This story will give the fans an idea of who this man is. It's bloody and dark with lots of turns in the story. It also gives the reader an idea of the world Ivar lives in.
Hopefully this passage let's you know who I am and what I do. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me here or on FB page

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Saw you were looking for works to read. Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Saw you were looking for works to read. Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Combs | 28 comments I am looking for a beta for my approximately 50k word novel. You need to have a Gmail account, as I use Google Drive for everything.

General Synopsis: A photographer visits a lonely town to take photos for a client. He encounters many different people while there, but doesn't take anyone's life too seriously. As the novel progresses, the readers and the photographer learn about their lives and what lies beyond the mask. There is also a little bit of a mystery surrounding the town's history and some of the character's pasts.

You can email me at briannacombs.author@gmail.com if you are interested! I don't have any deadlines, so don't feel pressure on that end. Thank you!

message 16: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Newcastle is a 182030-word historical fiction/Family Saga about the Richards family led by the tyrannical Wilbur and his manipulative wife Aggatha. The novel follows the family from the period just after the Revolutionary War to the opening days of the Civil War. It is based on the massive plantation NewCastle in South Carolina. You can reach me at randelldenney@aol.com if you are interested in editing critique or Beta reads.