Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > The Marriage of Opposites / Alice Hoffman/ 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Magical Realism. The magical realism in this novel is more real to me than magical. So I am totally getting the story, in agreement with these things-- the so-called magical things really happen. The magic is what it is always is: Energy changing form. Example: The dead people take (The story covers most of 60 years.) are what I have seen/what I have heard about all my life/what I find likely.

Writing Style. At one point, the intense energy level became tiring. Then as the aging main character mellowed, I caught my breathe and continued reading. The writing style took its tone from the character of the main character. Well Done.

Ethnicity. The main character identifies as being Jewish. The Jewish were thrown out of Spain in 1492 and then traversed across Europe until some fleet to the New World. So I am tagging this novel as "Hispanic" as well.

One of the best examples of magical realism I have ever read. Perhaps the best. I say this because i recognize the magic as being particularly familiar (family and friends familiar).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read the Dovekeepers but I loved Hoffman's writing. I have this book out from the library but I'm not sure I'm going to get to it before the month is over. I most definitely want to read more from her. Good review.

message 3: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Thanks Rachel. I am looking forward to reading other of Hoffman's books. The local library has a variety 😊

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9340 comments Kszr is reading Faithful right now. Happy to see a renewed interest in this author.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9340 comments Naturally you did! My go to, muse, and general literary twin.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I really liked this too. The audio was a pleasure to listen to.

message 8: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 439 comments I read this book recently and really enjoyed it.