Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Guess Who!?!--Manet

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:08PM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments ____________ was fascinated by painting at a young age. His parents disapproved of his interest, but he eventually went to art school and studied the old masters in Europe.

_________fell dramatically short in meeting his parents' expectations.. He was the son of ______, a high-ranking judge, and_____________, the daughter of a diplomat and the goddaughter of the Swedish crown prince. Affluent and well connected, the couple hoped their son would choose a respectable career, preferably law_______refused. He wanted to create art.

His father, ever fearful that his family's prestige would be tarnished, continued to present ______with more "appropriate" options. In 1848, ______ boarded a Navy vessel headed for Brazil; His father hoped he might take to a seafaring life. _______ returned in 1849 and promptly failed his naval examinations. ______ repeatedly failed over the course of a decade, so his parents finally gave in and supported his dream of attending art school.

For his painting ________________, _________ set up his easel in the open air and stood for hours while he composed a fashionable crowd of city dwellers. Whenhe showed the painting, some thought it was unfinished, while others understood what he was trying to convey.

_______married a Dutch woman.... She had been his piano tutor when he was a child, and some believe, for a time, also ______'s father’s mistress. By the time she and ________officially married, they had been involved for nearly 10 years and had an infant son...

Like many of his paintings, ______________ was a contradiction, both bourgeoisie and common, conventional and radical.

Who am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Heather (last edited Jun 26, 2018 04:14AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Clue #1: Impressionist (this should give it away!)

message 3: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Degas?????

message 4: by Heather (last edited Jun 26, 2018 04:32PM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Degas?????"

Well, he is an impressionist.

I'll say, though, this artist is basically the pioneer of impressionism. Does that help?

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Pretty sure you are talking about Edouard Manet. I myself don't consider him an "Impressionist" although he was the leader of the avant-garde and his works and ideas inspired the Impressionists. He never exhibited in any of the eight so-called "Impressionist Exhibitions" either. Manet fits comfortable into the Realist movement. The Impressionists all consider themselves Realists (and the Symbolists disdained them for the devotion to the empirical). The Impressionists were originally known as the Guerbois group as they hung out at the Cafe Guerbois that was near Manet's studio. They became dubbed the Impressionists by a hostile critic at their first exhibition in 1874.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Jun 27, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments That’s true, Ellen! Well, you gave a lot more information that I didn’t know. But though he was considered the instigator of Impressionism, he never wanted to be associated or even called an Impressionist. He declined all exhibits and invitations to show his work with the Impressionists whom he inspired. Like it says, he was a contradiction and a radical. And that he was in the way he lived and showed his work.

I also read that when he began painting, he started out as a realist but then abandoned that to create his own style which was looser and more impressionistic, using broad brushstrokes.

His work was met with a lot of criticism. Even denying his initial paintings entering the Academie des Beaux Arts.

I don’t know nearly as much as you do about him, but by posting these different artists in this folder, I learn a lot more about their life!

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Heather wrote: "That’s true, Ellen! Well, you gave a lot more information that I didn’t know. But though he was considered the instigator of Impressionism, he never wanted to be associated or even called an Impres..."

We're all learning all the time! I would caution putting any artist too firmly in an ism box. The loose brushwork and shimmering light of Impressionism is ALSO Realism. It's just a different kind. The Realists like Manet and Courbet understood Realism primarily as an art of their own time. It was modern because the subjects (scenes of ordinary modern life) were contemporary and something that challenged the Academy. Their styles were their styles and no Realist approached painting as a "mirror of nature." The Impressionists similarly focused on scenes of modern life--but they started investigating the physiology of sight. The motif (a landscape, a figure, a still life) was secondary to the impact of light on the retina, and for a while, many/most of the Impressionists were trying to express the evanescence of light--and of course, color is just a kind of light.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Ellen wrote: "Heather wrote: "That’s true, Ellen! Well, you gave a lot more information that I didn’t know. But though he was considered the instigator of Impressionism, he never wanted to be associated or even ..."

Speaking of the Impressionists concentrating more on the 'evanescence of light', in this respect, I would give most of the credit to Monet as he even watched haystacks from morning until dusk, during different seasons of the year, etc. IMO, that would take a lot of patience with such a (boring) subject. But he sure grasped the painting of light!

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I'd agree--except that "boring" is a relative concept. Monet wasn't really looking at the wheatstacks--he was looking at the light that rolled over and around them and through the atmosphere. While I have never been a Monet buff, I finally got to Giverny last May 2017 and on that same trip sat and meditated on the Grande Decoration in the Orangerie, those immense canvases of his pond and water lilies. Yep, I too give all kinds of credit to Monet.